How much do you tip at Restaraunts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
    My friend's dad has a dick way of tipping. He puts a stack of bills on the end of the table at the begginning of the meal and makes sure he lets the waiter/waitress know that he can always add to or take away from the stack depending on performance. He said he enjoys watching them scramble around as he motions to take away bills
    I wouldn't sit at a table with a guy like that, who knows if they mess with everyone's food and not just his.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by etk View Post
      I wouldn't sit at a table with a guy like that, who knows if they mess with everyone's food and not just his.
      Thats very true.
      Originally posted by nvot9
      I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
      Indianapolis Colts 13-3
      Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
      Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
      Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

• Originally posted by Solomon View Post
        I've worked at a tourist trap restaurent (affordable family dining) and now work at a fine dining lounge and restaurent. At cheaper restaurents the service standards are far lower, most servers don't know every ingredient that goes into every app, main or desert (heck they probably don't know a quarter), they won't fill up your water or drinks wordlessly and efficiently, and they probably make mistakes every few tables. At the higher end restaurent I have to know every ingredient in every meal, know the wine list (more than 70 wines) completely, know a drink list of more than 50 drinks by memory, and be able to suggest wine pairings for everything on the menu. I have to be on top of every table because the fine dining industry isn't about turnover rate it's about providing a dining experience (i.e quality over quantity). Any mistakes even the slightest (i.e taking out food to a table that's been prepped wrong in the kitchen) are liable to have consequences from your superiors. Most servers I've seen/worked with at cheaper restaurents wouldn't be able to handle a higher end restaurent with different standards.
        Its all based on incentives not whether or not the waitress cant handle it if they dont work at a nice restaurant. If you knew you werent getting much on tips because the food is cheaper then you wont take the time and effort to memorize every ingredient in every meal. Cheaper restaurants usually dont have as many selections and dont include a ton of wine like expensive places would include. If the benefit isn't greater than the cost then you wont take the time to memorize everything. If someone works at a very fancy restaurant and can pull off a ton of tips in a good night then the benefit is more than likely greater than the cost that it took to memorize everything. Also if a richer person went into a cheaper restaurant he isnt going to tip the same as he would if he went to some expensive steak place because the food is cheaper. More than likely, the waiter or waitress does the same thing as the waiter or waitress at an expensive place such as fill up your drink, take your order, and be friendly but they dont get as much of a tip because the quality of food is less. If the bill was $20 he/she probably wont tip $100+ like they would if they went to Fogo de Chao where its $50 a plate. Never understood that part.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
          My friend's dad has a dick way of tipping. He puts a stack of bills on the end of the table at the begginning of the meal and makes sure he lets the waiter/waitress know that he can always add to or take away from the stack depending on performance. He said he enjoys watching them scramble around as he motions to take away bills
          That's from the TV Show "3rd Rock from the Sun".

Comment

• For me it matters how nice they are and how hospitable they are. I remember an extremely rude Denny's waitress in Utah. I decided to split her tip.. WITH ME! lol It turns out that that very Denny's faced several lawsuits about complaints of blatant racism.

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information