Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
    A more basic question would be

Did Slavery happen because of racism, or did racism develop because of slavery. ie. what came first slavery or racism
    thats an interesting idea....
    it is very arguable...

keep em coming guys, i like wat im seeing

Go Ravens!

Comment

Was the civil war necessary to abolish slavery.
      just throwing it out there.
      Originally posted by Charm City Byrdgang
      Waaaaaaaaah!!! It was totally cooler when I was the only one who made a truth thread. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! I thought that when I "retired" people would honor me by never making truth threads. WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!!
      Originally posted by Lions WMD
      It's called Auto Fellatio!

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
        A more basic question would be

Did Slavery happen because of racism, or did racism develop because of slavery. ie. what came first slavery or racism
        I would say its easily slavery happened out of economic sense, the fact that they used blacks had to do with racism, so i guess the answer would be the use of African slaves was the result of racist feelings that white europeans were superior to their African counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
          Take an off the wall approach and write a paper on smoker's rights and why they shouldn't be done away with. Smokers are people too dammit!
          just with much darker lungs and worse breath
          Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Originally posted by Gatz View Post
            Was the civil war necessary to abolish slavery.
            just throwing it out there.
            Was the abolition of slavery necessary to help the union win the war? Did the ending of slavery help to unite the northern states, increase military enrollment with newly freed slaves enlisting in the union armies, or did it jeopardize the war by possibly ending relationships with the border states?

Comment

this is giving good ideas for my scholarship papers i need to write :]

Comment

Originally posted by andyjo672 View Post
                I would say its easily slavery happened out of economic sense, the fact that they used blacks had to do with racism, so i guess the answer would be the use of African slaves was the result of racist feelings that white europeans were superior to their African counterparts.
                Personally I believed that the africans were only used because economically it made the most sense at the time. I mean the only other options were really natives or indentured servants. While the initial transportation would be very expensive, it would make the most sense in the long run. The natives would be a poor choice because they would be very hard to contain and be hard to kept under control for generations. The servants had to be let free after a certain amount of year. Africans would be able to reproduce for generations and they would not be very rebellious at all. Once the Africans were installed as slaves, people just began to think og them as a lower class, which led to all blackskinned humans being thought of as a lower class

Comment

You could also do something on the fact that before the Civil War, there was nothing in the constitution that said a state or states could not leave the union. The Northern states refused to abide the by the fugitive slave act(good thing obviously), thus actually going against the constitution. It would be like states without the death penalty refusing to send fugitives back to states with the death penalty. It would be against the constitution. You could argue something on that, although it might be a touchy subject, and you could end up looking like a redneck racist if you did it wrong.

Originally posted by Jakey
                  WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

You could also talk about the "missing clause" that Jefferson "forgot" to put in the constitution that would infact free the slaves and make blacks equal. THere is a lot you could right about that.

Comment

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                      just with much darker lungs and worse breath
                      This coming from a Jersey guy, I'm sure your lungs are pristine....

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                      On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

okay, i think i have an idea about wat to write about if i was to write about slavery

how about a topic about American Associations? anybody haev a topic off that.... its pretty broad topic but wat we talked about is how americans tend to make associations instead of doing things individually....

Go Ravens!

Comment

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
                          You could also do something on the fact that before the Civil War, there was nothing in the constitution that said a state or states could not leave the union.
                          There still isn't.

You could write about popular sovereignity. Was popular sovereignity effective? Was it justified in indirectly allowing slavery under the auspices of freedom of choice for the inhabitants?

Then there's Dred Scott, John Brown (oooh, fun), Bleeding Kansas, and the Missouri Compromise. This stuff is all before the war. Afterwards, the main issue is pretty much Reconstruction.

by BoneKrusher
                          <DG> how metal unseen
                          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
                            Take an off the wall approach and write a paper on smoker's rights and why they shouldn't be done away with. Smokers are people too dammit!

Yeah, its totally their right to give other innocent people lung cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                              There still isn't.

You could write about popular sovereignity. Was popular sovereignity effective? Was it justified in indirectly allowing slavery under the auspices of freedom of choice for the inhabitants?

Then there's Dred Scott, John Brown (oooh, fun), Bleeding Kansas, and the Missouri Compromise. This stuff is all before the war. Afterwards, the main issue is pretty much Reconstruction.
                              I know. I was just trying to say it from a "historical" standpoint.

Originally posted by Jakey
                              WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                                Yeah, its totally their right to give other innocent people lung cancer.
                                Propaganda, there have been no studies that have shown a legitimate link between second hand smoke and lung cancer.

Edit: Rather, the studies that have shown a link have been called into question in recent years.
                                Last edited by someone447; 12-11-2007, 11:27 PM.
                                I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information