Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripping music to your computer illegal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by njx9
    anyone who still buys CDs from RIAA artists is an idiot. i don't necessarily advocate anything that RIAA has paid congress to call "illegal", but if you're still paying them $18 for 9 songs of crap and 1 song they pay DJs to endlessly play on the radio for a week, you need to seriously reconsider your interest in music/general economic sense.

    then again, you could just listen to the independant labels and none of this would be an issue.
    I see your point, but there is a lot of music that I want to own on CD. For my favorite bands I get some feeling of pride when I own their music especially if I own all of the CD's. But yeah, for everything else I just download it legally (and freely) off of the internet site that my college has a deal with. Then since it is copyrighted so that it can't be put on CD's or MP3's I just use a program on my computer that rerecords the tracks and then it's free to go wherever. Its a legal process, technically... :)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by someone447 View Post
      I will admit that I download music for free. You can't really call it stealing, because it doesn't deprive the artist of anything. I support the artists by going to as many concerts as I can, and I will buy cds and t shirts from those concerts. The artists make almost no money when you buy a cd. It is ridiculous. The people who should be making the money actually make very little off of what I pay for.

      Support artists by buying directly through them and going to concerts. **** the RIAA
      QFT

      Originally posted by TimDris View Post
      Horray Limewire!
      Limewire :-/

      You should upgrade to torrents.

      Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by njx9
        like someone398572340 said, buy it from the artists directly. i don't have a problem with people supporting radio bands necessarily, but it's never made sense to me why people go to, say, virgin records and pay exorbitant prices that don't support the group anyways. i'll admit that i listen to a few bands on the RIAA labels (and own their albums), but you won't ever catch me in best buy getting their CD.
        Eh, I honestly don't own that many(20 CD's at the max) and a lot of the bands that I do buy are ones that do their best to keep their music off of any downloading site (like Tool) so I have to physically buy the CD to get it legally. Like you say I could buy directly from the artists but I haven't had many opportunities for that kind of stuff so I just surrender a few more bucks and go to a store. Even if that money doesn't necessarily support the group. (there, I think I'm good, correct me if my understanding is wrong on anything in here, I haven't paid too much attention to this stuff in the past)

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by JagHombre22 View Post
          what does it matter...downloading music will continue to happen whether the major corporations want it to or not...
          Oh yeah, I'm not saying it will ever stop. I'm just saying that having the mindset that it isn't actually stealing is totally wrong.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by badgerbacker View Post
            Oh yeah, I'm not saying it will ever stop. I'm just saying that having the mindset that it isn't actually stealing is totally wrong.
            I agree you are getting some thing that by law you should have to pay for how is that not stealing?

            Comment


            • #21
              i dl music and dont even think much of it, only time i buy cds is when i need some blank ones to burn


              Comment


              • #22
                i listen more to free mix tapes than commercial music. When i go to school in the morning i listen to mike and mike in the morning. This does still effect me though, because if you can't rip a CD, how are you going to put music on a website? Better yet, how is someone going to make a music video? You have to get the music from somewhere, and music sharing is illegal according to these guys.

                flaws. sorry for the incoherent babbling, but i make a point. somewhere.
                CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.


                Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
                JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                  I agree you are getting some thing that by law you should have to pay for how is that not stealing?
                  It is copyright infringement, not stealing. Stealing requires that the rightful owner be deprived of what was stolen. The artist wasn't deprived of something that wasn't his. Is it a matter of semantics? Yes. But there is a reason no one has ever been prosecuted for it as theft.

                  Even though it isn't stealing, it is still illegal any way you slice it. But there are lots of laws that I don't follow. I support all artists that I like. I just don't support them by giving my money to big media conglomerates of which the artists get pennies.

                  When more artists start realizing they don't need to go through the record companies and start to release music by themselves through their website, I will stop downloading music.
                  I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                  Hunter S. Thompson

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Musicians should follow the same route Radiohead took with In Rainbows. Sell directly to the people for a price they choose. Not gonna happen though.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by ny10804 View Post
                      Musicians should follow the same route Radiohead took with In Rainbows. Sell directly to the people for a price they choose. Not gonna happen though.
                      If every musician around the world was as rich as Radiohead i'm sure they'd love to. Too bad the ability to write a song doesn't naturally translate to being a multimillionaire

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by 7-11 View Post
                        If every musician around the world was as rich as Radiohead i'm sure they'd love to. Too bad the ability to write a song doesn't naturally translate to being a multimillionaire
                        And guess what? Radiohead probably made more money off that album than all their others did.

                        I don't know the exact figures, but I don't imagine it costs an extreme amount to create and distribute your own quality music. They'd need a nice studio, but it'd be doable.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by ny10804 View Post
                          And guess what? Radiohead probably made more money off that album than all their others did.

                          I don't know the exact figures, but I don't imagine it costs an extreme amount to create and distribute your own quality music. They'd need a nice studio, but it'd be doable.
                          That's because it's Radiohead and people love them enough to volunteer their money unnecassarily to get their work.

                          Can you imagine people volunteering enough of their own money for bands to make a living for albums that are not nearly as anticipated? I just can't see it happening

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. how would there be no record? there are literally thousands of indie companies MAKING RECORDS. and making money off those records. but gosh, wonderful insight. if you start off with a flawed premise, you're likely to get bad results. keep trying kiddo, keep trying.
                            what you are describing is someone listening to Death Cab Cutie (for example) and just because they sell their CD's at 7.99 per cd instead of the major label price at, say, 12.99...you should buy their CD, doesn't matter if their music is crap (to you)...buy their CD because they are independent and you should support them...that is flawed logic....

                            if you are a fan of Kelly Clarkson or Brittney Spears and you want to spend the 12.99 for their new cd, then by all means go get it...don't chastise people for liking "radio" bands as you call them...and if Independent bands made so much money wouldn't you think that they'd be marketing their item as well as the "radio" bands?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by JagHombre22 View Post
                              what you are describing is someone listening to Death Cab Cutie (for example) and just because they sell their CD's at 7.99 per cd instead of the major label price at, say, 12.99...you should buy their CD, doesn't matter if their music is crap (to you)...buy their CD because they are independent and you should support them...that is flawed logic....

                              if you are a fan of Kelly Clarkson or Brittney Spears and you want to spend the 12.99 for their new cd, then by all means go get it...don't chastise people for liking "radio" bands as you call them...and if Independent bands made so much money wouldn't you think that they'd be marketing their item as well as the "radio" bands?
                              are cd's really $12.99 in the US?
                              $25+ here. ****

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by 7-11 View Post
                                are cd's really $12.99 in the US?
                                $25+ here. ****
                                well...more of 12.99-15.99

                                there are even some stores (FYE, Borders, etc;) that sell cd's for 18-22 dollars...that are on crack if they think I will buy a cd for $18....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information