Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best and worst decades of the 20th century.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best.
    1. 90's. I'm biased.
    2. 60's. Two words: free love. :D
    3. 20's. They don't call it "the roarin' 20's for nothing.

Worst
    1. 30's. They don't call it "the great depression" for nothing.
    2. 40's. No, Hitler wasn't the only person alive, but they didn't call it "World War II" for nothing.

Comment

40's,10's,30's were all pretty bad. World War II, Holocaust, Stalin purging people, Great Depression, World War One (which affected Europe much more than it did America). there was a great boom in the 20's in america, but the other nations were still recovering, guess it wouldn't be the worst. in the later part of the century,50's, 60's were alright(despite the hippies), later part of the 80's was good too. although there was a long period of cold war. Although imo society/culture gets crappier every single decade, so depends on what you view as best or worst.
      In the decades that people didn't suffer, they pretty much got dumber, meh.
      Originally posted by Charm City Byrdgang
      Waaaaaaaaah!!! It was totally cooler when I was the only one who made a truth thread. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! I thought that when I "retired" people would honor me by never making truth threads. WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!!
      Originally posted by Lions WMD
      It's called Auto Fellatio!

Comment

i don't think that everyone realizes that nazi aggression started in the mid 30s... shame. the 40's are combined with 'ww2' only because that's when the americans got into it...

i still think the 40's were the best decade. the science and research on it was second to none...
        http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
        For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

I'm a bit surprised that more people don't think that the 10s weren't the or among worst. Like I said earlier, it could be argued that it helped LEAD to the bad 40s, while being very bad in of itself.

I didn't do best decades...hmm. 50s, 80s, and 90s come to mind. 20s were good, but the economic success was based off of poor money management that blew up in everyone's face at the end of the decade.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
            i don't think that everyone realizes that nazi aggression started in the mid 30s... shame. the 40's are combined with 'ww2' only because that's when the americans got into it...
            Psst, don't look now, but most have the 30's as the worst.

Comment

It's arbitrary really. The Nazi aggression and rise of hitler started in the 30s but wwII and the killing took place mostly in 40's, plus with the Atomic bomb and then the arms race starting around that period, I can't see how it can be considered as the best.

Another thing, right before WWI, with advancement in science peoploe were optimistic that the development will continue and the world could become a place of pardise, so an argument can be made for the 1900's.
              Originally posted by Charm City Byrdgang
              Waaaaaaaaah!!! It was totally cooler when I was the only one who made a truth thread. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! I thought that when I "retired" people would honor me by never making truth threads. WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!!
              Originally posted by Lions WMD
              It's called Auto Fellatio!

Comment

As a historian I like the thought behind this thread, but cut out the politically motivated jargon.

And if I have to hear that Ronald Reagan was one of our greatest presidents again in my life I'm going to puke.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

My own opinion (and I agree that it's pretty arbitrary) is:

Best: 1920's and 1990's (although Rwanda was pretty terrible).

Worst: 1910's (Unseen is correct, World War I was the dumbest war ever), 1930's, 40's, 60's, 70's.

The 20th century was arguably the worst century in recorded history, at least in terms of violence and genocide.

Comment

The 1980s were and it was just the icing on the cake on Saturday, May 6th, 1989 when Yoda was born. Plus, I wasn't around for any of the decades before, so I will not discuss them cuz I'd have no clue what I would be talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                      As a historian I like the thought behind this thread, but cut out the politically motivated jargon.

And if I have to hear that Ronald Reagan was one of our greatest presidents again in my life I'm going to puke.
                      Was your blatant contradiction on purpose?

Comment

Good
                        70's, 80's, 90's

Bad
                        10's, 30's

Maybe its because I miss AC/DC and Van Halen is why I love the 70's and 80's, Wish i was born in that time

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Good:00's,40's,50's,80's
                          Bad:10s,20s,30's,90's
                          "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

In what way were the 20's or 90's Bad? Compared with the other decades in this century they were the best, while the recession in the 80's and that little thing called WWII could be considered bad.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                              In what way were the 20's or 90's Bad? Compared with the other decades in this century they were the best, while the recession in the 80's and that little thing called WWII could be considered bad.
                              So the 80's is bad because of its recession, yet the 20s is one of the best?

EDIT: I was thinking the crash was in 27, not 29. Oops.

by BoneKrusher
                              <DG> how metal unseen
                              <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by andyjo672 View Post
                                Was your blatant contradiction on purpose?
                                Yes and no.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information