X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3240117

Zednik in stable condition after having surgery on cut neck
    I saw that earlier today...that is freaking crazy.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
      People want to see goals...there isnt a better goal scorer in the league than Ovechkin. If i'm a new hocky fan...that's what i want to see. I could care less about some dude who passes as much as Sid does. That's how I see it...when dealing w/ the new hockey fan...this has been my experience.
      Please dont tell me what people want to see, hockey is my culture and your dead wrong. Let me ask you a question, who would you say is your favorite player on the Senators (boooo) Alfredson, Heatley, Spezza? Where Im from most people would say Mike Fisher, a role playing, grinder, worker. Back to your point about people want goals not passes like Sid. I for one much prefer to see a guy move the puck around like its his playground and make passes through lanes I didnt know existed. Yeah call me crazy but Id rather see someone who engages me with imaginative and briliant plays goal or no goal than a snipe wrister from the slot. Not everyone of Ovecs goals is like the diving circus one.

Comment

Your an established hockey fan, that loves hockey. One of the main reasons people dont watch hockey is due to the lack of high scores. I wasnt talking about people that love hockey and watch regularly...I'm talking about people that are new to the sport. They want to see goals. I'm also gearing this toward more the American fan or potential fan, that is.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Your an established hockey fan, that loves hockey. One of the main reasons people dont watch hockey is due to the lack of high scores. I wasnt talking about people that love hockey and watch regularly...I'm talking about people that are new to the sport. They want to see goals. I'm also gearing this toward more the American fan.
          That is the same reason most americans hate soccer, not enough scoring....I guess I can understand. But I am a huge hockey fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
            Whys that? Why would you push a Russian who can barely speak english moreso than the best player in the league, who happens to be the youngest captain ever and is living with Mario Lemieux? Crosby is the face of the league and for good reason. He's amazing to see, well spoken, composed, the most marketable player the NHL has ever had (see reebok) and is on the youngest, hottest, most exciting team in hockey.
            You have to admit Olvechkin is a better scorer. Sid has more puck skills and passing, but the nod for me (hardly watches hockey) goes to olvechkin. You are a Penguins fan, so that construes you view, but they give Olvechkin 0 push in the media. Sid is amazing, but people love scoring, hence why D-Wade is more popular than a Chris Paul or a Steve Nash even. America loves scoring, so pushing Olvechkin would only help. Sid is more marketable, but 2 sports stars in most cases is better than one. (Jordan is the true exception)
            CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
            JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Comment

Originally posted by stillaraiderfan View Post
              That is the same reason most americans hate soccer, not enough scoring....I guess I can understand. But I am a huge hockey fan.
              Yeah I agree. Plus its hardly on, and I dont go looking for it. if it had a "night" like a monday night for football when they show a game every week and cycle teams, I would watch it more. I watch the Stanley Cup and I enjoy it, but i need more chances to watch a game than just on a random different day of the week.
              This make any sense?
              CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.

JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Comment

Your an established hockey fan, that loves hockey. One of the main reasons people dont watch hockey is due to the lack of high scores. I wasnt talking about people that love hockey and watch regularly...I'm talking about people that are new to the sport. They want to see goals.
                Which I disagreed with. To me the reason hockey hasnt caught on in the states is due to a few reasons, none of which being lack of goals which I feel is an easy scapegoat.

1. Lack of culture

In Canada hockey is the culture. In th US its not, football is, basketball is a way of life for many urban raised people. Hockey is not catching on in the states because of titles like "Americas Game". Its fun to discuss sports, the problem is that no one in the States wants to watch something that has little to no importance to their friends and people around them. Thats why there is such differencial between places. For instance Minisota and Buffalo love hockey, generations are raised into and because so many people watch it its a popular discussion and is easily socialble. In place like Texas its the opposite, if you were a kid growing up in Texas after watching a hockey game you might be like wow that was pretty good, however when you went to discuss it with friends or such you would be met with a wall. That stunts the popularity.

Lack of Importance/Exposure

I have yet to come across a Sports Illustarted, ESPN broadcast, etc that consistantly feeds hockey info. In fact a month ago PTI had a 2 minute thing on hockey, I was excited. This ties into number 1. People want to follow a sociable, important sport. The media oulets in the States dont treat it as such and therefore leaves very little breeding ground for hockey enthusiasts.

Comment

The best part of soccer is the shoot out, imo...it's really the only scoring going on. I've tried in the past to like it but, I just never could.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by jballa838 View Post
                    Yeah I agree. Plus its hardly on, and I dont go looking for it. if it had a "night" like a monday night for football when they show a game every week and cycle teams, I would watch it more. I watch the Stanley Cup and I enjoy it, but i need more chances to watch a game than just on a random different day of the week.
                    This make any sense?
                    Do you guys in the States get Hockey Night in Canada? Saturday Nights. Even if you dont Saturday is when most games are played in the NHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by stillaraiderfan View Post
                      at least in hockey theres hitting and fights.
                      In soccer they just kick the ball around for a long time before theres finally a goal.Theres nothing to get excited about from watching soccer.
                      "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

• Originally posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
                        Do you guys in the States get Hockey Night in Canada? Saturday Nights. Even if you dont Saturday is when most games are played in the NHL.
                        I dont think so. I remember ESPN used to use Wednesdays. That was a great idea. But Hockey needs to be on the lesser nights than a Saturday, like a Tuesday for example. Tuesday I have nothing ever planned, yet Saturday's are usually more planned. NBC is a bunch of idiots though. They show every damn Notre Dame game, and don't go out of their way to make the consumer happy.

Comment

• Because there isn't a professional team in Cleveland.

Comment

• Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
                            at least in hockey theres hitting and fights.
                            In soccer they just kick the ball around for a long time before theres finally a goal.Theres nothing to get excited about from watching soccer.
                            A little off topic but have you guys ever seen the Simpsons episode where they show a pro soccer game where the players are passing around in a triangle. The US announcer is bored to death and the Europe announcer is going crazy with excitement. Very funny stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
                              Which I disagreed with. To me the reason hockey hasnt caught on in the states is due to a few reasons, none of which being lack of goals which I feel is an easy scapegoat.

1. Lack of culture

In Canada hockey is the culture. In th US its not, football is, basketball is a way of life for many urban raised people. Hockey is not catching on in the states because of titles like "Americas Game". Its fun to discuss sports, the problem is that no one in the States wants to watch something that has little to no importance to their friends and people around them. Thats why there is such differencial between places. For instance Minisota and Buffalo love hockey, generations are raised into and because so many people watch it its a popular discussion and is easily socialble. In place like Texas its the opposite, if you were a kid growing up in Texas after watching a hockey game you might be like wow that was pretty good, however when you went to discuss it with friends or such you would be met with a wall. That stunts the popularity.

Lack of Importance/Exposure

I have yet to come across a Sports Illustarted, ESPN broadcast, etc that consistantly feeds hockey info. In fact a month ago PTI had a 2 minute thing on hockey, I was excited. This ties into number 1. People want to follow a sociable, important sport. The media oulets in the States dont treat it as such and therefore leaves very little breeding ground for hockey enthusiasts.
                              Agreed. It is somewhat a taboo subject, and I use my hockey knowledge (tiny) sparingly, but they are usually good conversation pieces. People that have Ice Skated and touched a hockey stick and messed around before have an appeciation for the moves someone like crosby has, but not really someone casually watching.

Comment

• Originally posted by jballa838 View Post
                                I dont think so. I remember ESPN used to use Wednesdays. That was a great idea. But Hockey needs to be on the lesser nights than a Saturday, like a Tuesday for example. Tuesday I have nothing ever planned, yet Saturday's are usually more planned. NBC is a bunch of idiots though. They show every damn Notre Dame game, and don't go out of their way to make the consumer happy.
                                Hockeys on everyday of the week, just the largest amount of games are played on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information