**Official Boxing Thread**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Official Boxing Thread**

Well, this is a very big weekend for boxing as there are two opposing PPV cards. One, Tarver-Hopkins, features two old fighters (Hopkins will retire after the fight), but is historically significant. The other, Cotto-Malignaggi, features one very young budding superstar(Cotto) taking on a very talented prospect in Malignaggi.

I would have to lean towards Tarver in the 1st fight, but it is close, really close. B-Hop could easily pull out the victory, because he will be laying it all on the line (I hope). Tarver is going to be way bigger though as he is naturally about 15 lbs. heavier, I think that gives him a big edge. While the fight is significant historically, style-wise it makes for a very boring fight and would be a strech to order for 50 bucks seeing as HBO will be replaying the fight next weekend.

I will be attending the Cotto fight and I am pretty amped about it. It is a fight that Cotto should win, but Malignaggi can frustrate people with his speed and slick boxing, Plus his trash talking can get under peoples skin. However, Malignaggi, by all accounts, cant punch for power. This will present a huge problem for him as Cotto should be able to walk him down and impose his will as the harder puncher and larger man. I think Cotto KO's him around round 8 or so.

If you want to buy a PPV this weekend I suggest you go with the cotto show. It is 15 bucks cheaper at $35 and features a 5 fight undercard, and the other fight will be replayed on HBO. It feature great prospects like John Duddy, Juan Manuel Lopez, and Julio Ceasar Chavez. Also, it has Tommy Zbikowski(sp?) fighting his debut. He is not a great prospect, but is getting attention, so it will be cool to see him.
    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

I have to go to a bar to watch Zbikowski fight. Apparently about 20 of his teammates from Notre Dame are walking him to the ring in their jerseys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10
      I have to go to a bar to watch Zbikowski fight. Apparently about 20 of his teammates from Notre Dame are walking him to the ring in their jerseys.
      It should be cool. He is going to be in with a stiff though, no way in hell they let him lose. If you go to watch that make sure you stay for the other fights though, it is a pretty solid card, some future stars on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Schubert
        It should be cool. He is going to be in with a stiff though, no way in hell they let him lose. If you go to watch that make sure you stay for the other fights though, it is a pretty solid card, some future stars on there.
        I will be staying. Since both fights are on two different PPV stations, I have to go to this one bar to watch both. I've only seen Malignaggi fight once on ESPN but was pretty impressed, and he is the hometown kid fighting in MSG. Should be good.

Comment

i cant wait to see the Tarver-Hopkins fight.

Comment

Is Zbikowskis fight going to be on tv?
            Originally posted by nvot9
            I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
            Indianapolis Colts 13-3
            Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
            Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
            Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

Nevermind undercard of Cotto I got it
              Originally posted by nvot9
              I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
              Indianapolis Colts 13-3
              Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
              Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
              Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

I will be staying. Since both fights are on two different PPV stations, I have to go to this one bar to watch both. I've only seen Malignaggi fight once on ESPN but was pretty impressed, and he is the hometown kid fighting in MSG. Should be good.
                Malignaggi is areally good boxer, but he seems to lack the power to back Cotto off. Cotto's game is to walk you down and throw bombs at a methodical pace. I cant see Paulie backing him up. And, suprisingly the garden will be behind Cotto. Paulie is a NY guy, but all of the Puerto Ricans will be out for the fight and will outnumber the Malignaggi fans.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbeaukid2
                  i cant wait to see the Tarver-Hopkins fight.
                  Do you think it will be a good fight? I think it sets up to be a really boring match style wise. I will watch it on HBO next weekend b/c it will be free, but I will be at MSG sat. I think the only way you buy this fight is if you really value historical significance and want to see B-Hop's last fight live.

Comment

Malignaggi is areally good boxer, but he seems to lack the power to back Cotto off. Cotto's game is to walk you down and throw bombs at a methodical pace. I cant see Paulie backing him up. And, suprisingly the garden will be behind Cotto. Paulie is a NY guy, but all of the Puerto Ricans will be out for the fight and will outnumber the Malignaggi fans.
                    That is true. Puerto Ricans get real into it. When I was living in the Bronx for a year, there was almost a huge riot after a Trinidad fight. For some reason I can't think of who he fought that night. It was either in late 2001 or early 2002.

Comment

That is true. Puerto Ricans get real into it. When I was living in the Bronx for a year, there was almost a huge riot after a Trinidad fight. For some reason I can't think of who he fought that night. It was either in late 2001 or early 2002.
                      Hopkins maybe. It was right after 9/11.

Comment

Hopkins maybe. It was right after 9/11.
                        I had been out in the Bronx in some pretty shady areas, but that night I felt the most unsafe I did in the entire time I was living there.

Comment

Is this fight at the temple in memphis??

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
                          XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
                          Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
                          http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

I think Tarver/Hopkins is in Atlantic City, because my friend wanted to get a room to gamble and not see the fight and the prices was ridiculous.

Cotto/Maliginaggi is in Madison Square Garden.

Comment

yeah, the Hopkins-Tarver fight is in AC at Boardwalk hall.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information