**Official Boxing Thread**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rob Schubert
    Julio lost which was a stunner. Quintana has now made himself one of the top prospects in the sport. I think it was a bad style matchup for Julio, a slick southpaw is never easy. I do think that he is the kind of kid who will rebound though, even though this was his first loss ever, including amatuers (85-0).

Brock did what he had to do, win. It was a boring fight, but Brock kept his "0", therby setting him up to get a title shot.
    Brock blows. So boring!!! Like every heavyweight. I left to meet with my woman 1/2 way through the fight, what does that tell you about it?

I'll tell you this much about the Quintana fight, immediately after the first round I found myself rooting for him. Idk why, he just had a confidence, a swagger that I really took a liking to, plus he was the big underdog. I told my Dad that Julio was going to KO him with a left hook after the 2nd round though because Quintana kept his hands way too low and he was WIDE OPEN for a big left hook when he would pull out. Julio only threw the punch 4-5 times with conviction though and Quintana always did a great job of rolling with the punch.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxV
      Originally posted by Rob Schubert
      Julio lost which was a stunner. Quintana has now made himself one of the top prospects in the sport. I think it was a bad style matchup for Julio, a slick southpaw is never easy. I do think that he is the kind of kid who will rebound though, even though this was his first loss ever, including amatuers (85-0).

Brock did what he had to do, win. It was a boring fight, but Brock kept his "0", therby setting him up to get a title shot.
      Well if Brock gets a shot at Klitchko and fights like that, he'll get burried. But he does have a good shot at other so called "Heavyweight Champions".
      Klitchko aint That good man. He's not even clearly the best HW right now. He's kind of a sissy too, at least he was.

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime21335
        Originally posted by MaxV

Well if Brock gets a shot at Klitchko and fights like that, he'll get burried. But he does have a good shot at other so called "Heavyweight Champions".
        Klitchko aint That good man. He's not even clearly the best HW right now. He's kind of a sissy too, at least he was.
        dont forget the glass chin

Comment

• Wlad is the best HW BY FAR right now. Did you see what he did to Byrd? Byrd never threw a punch. His face was punching Klitchko's fists.

Maybe you're right about Wlad not being all that great.....but who in the HW division is?

Comment

Wlad is the best HW BY FAR right now. Did you see what he did to Byrd? Byrd never threw a punch. His face was punching Klitchko's fists.

Maybe you're right about Wlad not being all that great.....but who in the HW division is?
            He's not the best by far. He might be the best but he sure as hell hasn't proven it yet. He beat Byrd's ass yeah, but so would any very good heavyweight over the past decade. Byrd is a bum that is a product of a very weak division.

Comment

• I would say Wlad is the best, but he is not by any means a great fighter. Doesnt crack my top 25 p4p, thats for sure.
              When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Wlad is the best HW BY FAR right now. Did you see what he did to Byrd? Byrd never threw a punch. His face was punching Klitchko's fists.

He's not the best by far. He might be the best but he sure as hell hasn't proven it yet. He beat Byrd's ass yeah, but so would any very good heavyweight over the past decade. Byrd is a bum that is a product of a very weak division.
                We aren't talking about "good HWs over the past decade", we are talking about right now. There are no good HWs right now.

And as of right now Klitchko IS the best of a very weak bunch.

The only HWs that have the talent to be VERY good are Wlad and Samuel Peter, but both are flawed.

Wlad's problem is he doesn't always conserve his energy, but I think he's fixing that problem right now and he showed in the fight against Peter that he can go the distance against a powerfull puncher.

Peter's problem is that he doesn't have a jab AT ALL. All he does right now is swing wildly, like a lumberjack trying to cut down a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime21335

We aren't talking about "good HWs over the past decade", we are talking about right now. There are no good HWs right now.

The only HWs that have the talent to be VERY good are Wlad and Samuel Peter, but both are flawed.

Wlad's problem is he doesn't always conserve his energy, but I think he's fixing that problem right now and he showed in the fight against Peter that he can go the distance against a powerfull puncher.

Peter's problem is that he doesn't have a jab AT ALL. All he does right now is swing wildly, like a lumberjack trying to cut down a tree.
                  The reason I said that bout Byrd is because you used Byrd as an example of his dominance, however, Byrd is a bum who could lose to anyone at any time right now in the division.

Idk, Klitchko will probably fight Flabby James Toney next because of the pay check. Rumors were circulating that he wanted to get on ABC for the fight which I would LOVE. The more exposure to boxing the better.

Comment

The reason I said that bout Byrd is because you used Byrd as an example of his dominance, however, Byrd is a bum who could lose to anyone at any time right now in the division.

Idk, Klitchko will probably fight Flabby James Toney next because of the pay check. Rumors were circulating that he wanted to get on ABC for the fight which I would LOVE. The more exposure to boxing the better.
                    Rumors are that Wlad is looking to fight Shannon Briggs :roll:

Comment

• Yeah, I read on espn that briggs will likely fight Wlad because Toney will be figting Sam peter. Here is the quote

Heavyweight titlist Wladimir Klitschko's first defense, tentatively scheduled for Nov. 11 at Madison Square Garden, could come against New Yorker Shannon Briggs. With James Toney headed to a September fight with Samuel Peter, Briggs has emerged as the leading candidate, although nothing is signed yet. Another candidate is Calvin Brock, who could emerge as the opponent depending on the how his HBO fight against Timor Ibragimov goes on Saturday night.

Comment

• I don't know much about Briggs, is he any good?

Toney-Peter fight should be entertaining. Toney better come in better shape otherwise Peter will knock him out in 5.

Comment

I don't know much about Briggs, is he any good?

Toney-Peter fight should be entertaining. Toney better come in better shape otherwise Peter will knock him out in 5.
                          Briggs is huge and can puch hard, that is it though. it is kinda a joke that he is getting a world title shot. My guess is Toney comes in fat again. But, he is one of the greatest defensive fighters ever so I dont see him getting KO'd.

Comment

Rumors are that Wlad is looking to fight Shannon Briggs :roll:

No, on espn.com and on espn2 during a previous Friday Night Fights they talked about him looking to fight Toney on ABC. If espn's boxing page kept their articles up longer I would gladly post the link for you.

Comment

Yeah, I read on espn that briggs will likely fight Wlad because Toney will be figting Sam peter. Here is the quote

Heavyweight titlist Wladimir Klitschko's first defense, tentatively scheduled for Nov. 11 at Madison Square Garden, could come against New Yorker Shannon Briggs. With James Toney headed to a September fight with Samuel Peter, Briggs has emerged as the leading candidate, although nothing is signed yet. Another candidate is Calvin Brock, who could emerge as the opponent depending on the how his HBO fight against Timor Ibragimov goes on Saturday night.
                              Oic, I guess I'm behind on the HW news. My apologies.

Comment

Yeah, I read on espn that briggs will likely fight Wlad because Toney will be figting Sam peter. Here is the quote

Oic, I guess I'm behind on the HW news. My apologies.
                                I remember the ABC rumor, nothing materialized. It was posted though

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information