Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Joe Mauer hit .400?

Originally posted by JC 510
    Going into today he's batting .388 and it's rising fast. Will he it .400?
    yea right!!!

he will hit .340 at the most in my opinin

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Tobzilla
      Originally posted by diehardvikingsfan
      Originally posted by DChess
      Originally posted by Patriots-Lions
      Originally posted by Maroney22
      Originally posted by Vikes99ej
      He's the only good hitter on the Twins. I wish we could keep him, Liriano, Santana, and Nathan and just trade away everyone else.

Morneau is a beast of a power hitter
      If by beast, you mean overrated I agree with you. 1 HR per 17 AB is not beast-like. A .485 SLG is not beast-like. A career 1 HR per 19 AB is not beast-like. A career .466 SLG is not beast-like. Those numbers are not bad but I am sick of hearing from people that Morneau is this insane power hitter.
      i like a man who supports his arguments with stats and cold hard facts.
      I agree man. The thing about him, is that he has an unbelievable amount of power, which is showcased by his ability to drive the ball over the fence going the other way. The thing about him though, is that he is a consistent underachiever and simply gets on those "cold streaks" far too often. If he is able to acquire the ability to choose his pitches more carefully and gain more consistency with his swing, he will become a big time power hitter and give the twins the power in the middle of their lineup that they've lacked for too long. That's a real big if though. Sadly to tell you the truth, I could see him continue to underachieve with the Twins, then blow up as a superstar once he joins another team ala Big Papi.
      Yeah, hopefully he will gain consistency as he ages and grows as a hitter.

Now on Mauer. Why exactly cant someone hit 400 nowadays. Im not saying he will but I hate it when people say that its different now when ten years ago Gwynn had a chance to get it.

Mauer is going to be the best average hitter in the majors who will eventually gain power. Right now he has the ability to swing with power but chooses to hit situationally. Watch him hit the ball when he's up with two outs and nobody on base, then you will realize he can hit for power.

What Mauer is doing at such a young age is simply amazing. I cant wait to watch him grow as a hitter while leading Minny to a WS (hopefully).
      I don't think it will be unreachable for someone nowadays, except I think we are all sick of talks of .400 through 2 1/2 months of the season. Do you know how many players have flirted with .400 through June or July the past 10 years? Most of them get the pressure on them towards the end of the season and hit in the mid-.300's. Comparing Mauer to Gwynn is a travesty. Tony Gwynn was one of the best hitters of the 90's, Mauer isn't even one of the best hitters in baseball- yet. Bonds flirted with it a few years ago and he's a top 3 hitter of this era. I'm sorry but if guys like Gwynn and Bonds can't get it in their primes I'm not going to believe a young catcher who isn't in his prime is going to have a chance. Also, the fact that he is a catcher works against him. Being a catcher is the most grueling position in baseball, it provides a lot of wear and tear on the body. I know there have been many catchers who still have hit at the end of the season, but the chances are less likely.

Comment

Originally posted by SidneyG
        No way does Maur hit .400 . First of all he is a catcher and by mid August when it is hot as fire he will be dead tired. You also have to factor in the speed factor Maur is fast for a catcher but I think you have to be able to get some bunt hits and infield singles to have a good shot at .400. Not to say that Maur is not becoming a good catcher because he is but I think hitting .400 is a bit unrealistic.

The thing about that is he Dh's sometimes because Mike Redmond is hitting even better than him

Comment

Morneau blows.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej
            Morneau blows.

actaully not really? Hes on pace to hit more homers than anyone on the twins since like 1856? Care to back up that weak statement with something?

Comment

In ways he blows...at times its very frusterating watching him play. But, he's young and will get better. He tries to pull everything and needs to become a better hitter in general.

PM me for sig requests
              Originally posted by Sean Connery
              Suck it Trebek!

Comment

In ways he blows...at times its very frusterating watching him play. But, he's young and will get better. He tries to pull everything and needs to become a better hitter in general.
                :? Mauer may not work the left field line...but he can hit that left center gap when the pitch is there. I really dont' think he has a problems spreading the ball around...I think it just has to do with his quick hands...which allow him to get around very quick on the ball...so he can easily pull it. However when you break down his swing...he is always on a level plain...which is why hes so good at makign contact...he also works it good inside to outside...which is why its so ironic to see you say he only pulls the ball.

Comment

Morneau has great power but has a lot of problems. His .255/.315/.500 is disappointing, not to mention he is on pace for 131 K. (Although there are a lot of guys striking out like crazy this year)

Comment

Originally posted by thule
                    :? Mauer may not work the left field line...but he can hit that left center gap when the pitch is there. I really dont' think he has a problems spreading the ball around...I think it just has to do with his quick hands...which allow him to get around very quick on the ball...so he can easily pull it. However when you break down his swing...he is always on a level plain...which is why hes so good at makign contact...he also works it good inside to outside...which is why its so ironic to see you say he only pulls the ball.
                    I was commenting on Mourneau; Mauer is a great hitter who doesnt pull everything. Sorry for the confusion.

PM me for sig requests
                    Originally posted by Sean Connery
                    Suck it Trebek!

Comment

This year...nah I really don't think he will. Considering he's 23, he's probably more likely than anyone else to do it in the future. Am I saying he definitely will in a few years? No. Am I saying it's impossible? No. You never know, not very likely but tough to rule out as a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information