2008 NHL Draft thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 NHL Draft thread

I don't see an NHL draft thread, so let's make one.

Honestly, I don't know much about the prospects, other than really hearing about Stamkos and that there are also some top-notch defensemen to follow him come the Draft.

But with the Leafs having the 7th overall pick, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the top candidates are Cody Hodgson, Mikkel Boedker, and Nikita Filatov.

Hodgson seems like a great guy, Ontario native who seems to have future captain written over him, a second line center if not first line (which is likely with the Leafs). Great hockey sense, has speed but also plays physical. Might be more of a safer pick with less upside.

Boedker seems to be a quick and highly talented offensive player.

And Filatov looks like the ultimate wild card. Opinions seem to vary on him I see, from future bust thanks to being too soft, to the second best player in the Draft and compared to Ilya Kovalchuk. Also has concerns wrt a transfer agreement coming from Russia which could drop him, like Cherepanov last year, and weight although he's still a young developing guy. Potential playmaker.

Not sure who I'd go for, Filatov is tempting, but I also like Hodgson. I'd be happy with either of the three I suppose, one of them is bound to reach the Leafs' pick. Thoughts? I know Max is big on Filatov, and that the Leafs would be very well served to draft him.
    Last edited by Geo; 05-22-2008, 09:04 PM.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

I doubt Filatov falls all the way down to 7. He has a lot of talent and I don't see him slipping out of the top 5. The only knock I've seen on him is that he's very undersized, only weighing in around 160 lbs.

Depending on whether Toronto is looking for a defenseman or forward, their BPA at 7 IMO looks to be Luke Schenn. He won't produce much offensively, but he could possibly be the next Robyn Regehr, maybe even better.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Kings = Doughty

mmm!

Comment

I personally think Steve Stamkos is a tad overrated. When I watched him play at the WJC, he didn't really stand out. He does go hard every shift from what I saw, but I was significantly more impressed with John Tavares.

Comment

I think Schenn might be taken before the Leafs' pick, as a promising physical defensemen. I'd like him too.

But I agree with you on Filatov, he's confident in coming to North America ASAP and will probably be taken in the Top 5.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
            I personally think Steve Stamkos is a tad overrated. When I watched him play at the WJC, he didn't really stand out. He does go hard every shift from what I saw, but I was significantly more impressed with John Tavares.
            John Tavares is a significantly better prospect than Stamkos. I haven't been following Tavares much lately, but last season he was being hyped to be the next Crosby. Stamkos will be Tampa's #2 center next year unless Tampa screws themselves over. I don't think Stamkos will be a top 3 center in the league like he is being hyped up to be, but I do think he will be able to get over 100 points multiple times in his career.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Filatov is PISSED OFF at his current club CSKA and has already stated that he's going to NA next year.

I can't deny it, I'm VERY high on him. He's a better prospect then what Cherepanov was last year.

BTW, there is one thing about Filatov's game that everyone seems to be overlooking, his ability on defense. Everyone seems to assume that just because he's a Russian prospect he sucks on defense, that's a WRONG assumption.

Filatov might acctually be the best penalty-killing forward in this draft. He's an expert at getting takeaways. Opponents have to be careful with their passes when he's around, because he's VERY quick and knows how to anticipate and intercept. He's no stranger to short-handed breakaway goals.

I won't lie, his size is a concern. But he's still a teenager and perhaps he can still add some bulk.

Plus, it's not like Stamkos is huge.
              Last edited by MaxV; 05-22-2008, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post

Plus, it's not like Stamkos is huge.
                Neither was Patrick Kane. Looks like it's working out.

Comment

BTW, regarding Tevares, there is so much hype about him, yet he's listed as #2 prospect for next years class.

Sweden's D-man Victor Hedman is widely considered the top prospect for that draft. I've heard he's a freak of nature.

Comment

((prays Alex Pietrangelo will fall to the Sabres at 13))

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                      BTW, regarding Tevares, there is so much hype about him, yet he's listed as #2 prospect for next years class.

Sweden's D-man Victor Hedman is widely considered the top prospect for that draft. I've heard he's a freak of nature.
                      I want Tavares for the Leafs so bad. But to fully tank this season, which is an awful tactic, it would mean trading away Toskala. It won't happen with a stud like him playing, regardless of how bad the defense is in front of him.

Any thoughts on Hodgson or Boedker? Wish I saw either of them play.

Comment

Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                        ((prays Alex Pietrangelo will fall to the Sabres at 13))
                        The only way the Sabres get him is if they trade up to around the #5 pick.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Jensen View Post
                          The only way the Sabres get him is if they trade up to around the #5 pick.
                          I'm aware........A Man Can Dream Damn'it

Comment

Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                            I'm aware........A Man Can Dream Damn'it
                            At least the Sabres actually have a pick worth something in this draft. The Sharks begin their draft strategy in the 4th round.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Jensen View Post
                              At least the Sabres actually have a pick worth something in this draft. The Sharks begin their draft strategy in the 4th round.
                              Yeah we have the 26th pick as well from San Jose. This can easily turn into Pietrangelo or a top 6 pick but with no first last year, it may be best off keeping both

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information