Civilization IV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization IV

Does anyone else on here play Civilization IV. I just got the game from my brother. I am ususally the Americans because they have the special unit Navy Seals. I am currently having issues establishing my territory when I begin the game though. I try to settle as wide a region as possible, but usually some other country makes a town right smack in the middle of all my cities. Then they just get surrounded by my territory. I don't like having someone else in the middle of my territory, but the only way to get the city is to take it over. Since all I really want is the one city I don't feel a war is the best option. I'd much rather buy the territory, but it seems that is impossible or next to impossible. So, that's about it. Just thought I'd see if anyone else plays the game and has something to say about it.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

I'm a bit of a RTS buff, never played the Civ series though, I might check it out sometime, I think I can get it off steam.

Sorry, I'm not really adding anything here.

Comment

Originally posted by Damix View Post
      I'm a bit of a RTS buff, never played the Civ series though, I might check it out sometime, I think I can get it off steam.

Sorry, I'm not really adding anything here.
      I've tried some RTS games like Age of Empires, but I'm more into turn based strategy games. I just feel rushed in RTS games, I like to have some time to think about decisions.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

I got it a few months ago but still haven't gotten around to playing it much. Probably gonna play it tomorrow now lol.

As for your issue, declare war :D. That's always my solution lol.

Also just cause the topic is up, anyone play Alpha Centauri (sp?)? And is anyone planning on getting Civ revolution?

That is correct comahan
        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
        <3 dg

Comment

Just dont agree to open borders with anybody.
          "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
            Does anyone else on here play Civilization IV. I just got the game from my brother. I am ususally the Americans because they have the special unit Navy Seals. I am currently having issues establishing my territory when I begin the game though. I try to settle as wide a region as possible, but usually some other country makes a town right smack in the middle of all my cities. Then they just get surrounded by my territory. I don't like having someone else in the middle of my territory, but the only way to get the city is to take it over. Since all I really want is the one city I don't feel a war is the best option. I'd much rather buy the territory, but it seems that is impossible or next to impossible. So, that's about it. Just thought I'd see if anyone else plays the game and has something to say about it.

in that kind of situation i try raising the culture of the surrounding cities after awhile the other country will revolt and you will have control of that city

Comment

Does anyone have a corrupt data and virus free.. "link".. of where i can "obtain" this game, using teh intrawebz?

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                Does anyone have a corrupt data and virus free.. "link".. of where i can "obtain" this game, using teh intrawebz?
                check your pms.
                Last edited by Bruce Banner; 07-07-2008, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I am totally hooked to be honoust, @nfrillman, start with a civ with a creative trait, the plus 2 culture for all your cities wil nicely develope your first cultural extensions and will make sure you dont HAVE to have stonehenge. This is mainly usefall in smaller maps with a lot of civs. (to be honoust though the special unit of the americans is pretty much useless since it just comes to late in the game, for helpfull special units think is order of appearance in the game, immortals, skirmishers, praetorians, cho-ko-nu's and redcoats. Not that these are the only good ones (the indian fast worker is great f.i.) but they are the most usefull agressive units imo. Watch out with playing it against friends though because it'll get dangerously addictiv. ;)

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                  - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                  - Corner or Wideout in the first
                  - No reaching
                  - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Its all about Starcraft. Can't wait for the 2nd one.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
                      I play every once in a while. It's a good game. I'm usually ghondi as he's industries and spirtual. I basically get all the religions, and try to basically build the most cities possible and spread quickly with trying to get the most world treasures. Basically, at first, I just get settlers and use the warriors to guard them, and just have them crank out more settlers and just spread spread spread, with the occasional warrior to guard it. I rarely put military into a city until they start bitching about it.

^that's my approach, gets high culture and large land mass. At the start of the game, I'll give the computer everything they want except maps and entrance into my land. This keeps them chill with me, and I don't have to fight wars with no army. After I get so many cities, you can crank out military pretty quickly.

Edit: I pretty much find the special unit worthless. I like the fast worker for Ghondi as they basically just help you at the beginning. It gets to a point where they have nothing else to do.

Really, don't pick a unit based on their special unit, but the traits on how you play. If your going to be aggressive, pick Alexander or Napolean. If your going for culture, go for creative trait like wicket said. I'm a big fan of spiritual as you won't miss a turn at all, and industries for wonder building speed. I haven't played in a couple months, but the health trait is very useful later int he game when you really need to get the sick people down.
                      Last edited by j05son; 07-04-2008, 02:22 AM.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

I pretty much refuse to play Civ IV more than once a month or two and I will refuse to play SC2 when it is released (for a while). I already have an addictive/obsessive personality and I have heard stories of writers missing deadlines and students missing exams because of this two titles (original starcraft not 2). I don't want to meet a similar fate....

Comment

I used to play Utopia, which was turn based (www.swirve.com) never got into Civ or Starcraft.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

I don't come around much or I already would have posted in here. Civilization is my life blood, if I have any dorky/guilty pleasure this is definately it. I don't even want to know how many hours I've spent playing this series (I bought the original one way back in the late 80's and have had every one since, including Alpha Sentauri)

To answer your question, it really depends on how much space you leave in between your cities. The opponent won't settle there unless they have at least a 3x3 grid left open, and usually more. I would never settle any city more than 3 open spaces from another, unless the territory in between is unmanagable (desert, tundra, etc).

In the case that happens though, and you don't want to start a war, just culture the **** out of them. Build theatres, monostaries, and wonders around them, it will collapse in a matter of time.

I wouldn't recommend the no open borders, however. It's almost impossible to build up any serious revenue without doing so. Trade is incredibly important, particularly in the more difficult levels.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I used to play Civ II a lot back in the day but it looks all cartoony now.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information