Sportswriter plagiarism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportswriter plagiarism

Wasn't sure if this belonged in the NFL section or not, so I'm playing it safe and posting it here.

I thought I'd direct people to an article on CHFF regarding writer Ron Borges of the Boston Globe, and certain similarities in his most recent article to an article by Mike Sando of the Tacoma News Tribune, written over a week earlier.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Artic...1357&Category=1

Here's an example of the similarities:

From Borges' Article:, 4th paragraph
    When Ruskell became Seahawks president in February 2005, one of his first moves was to issue a letter to players outlining his expectations. He urged full participation in the team's offseason program, including minicamps, but Jackson let it be known he would honor his contract, but nothing more. Jackson subsequently skipped the voluntary portions of minicamps.
    From Sando's Article:, 18th paragraph
    When Ruskell became Seahawks president in February 2005, one of his first moves was to issue a letter to players outlining his expectations. He urged full participation in the teamís offseason program, including minicamps, but Jackson let it be known he would honor his contract but nothing more. Jackson subsequently skipped the voluntary portions of minicamps.
    As a student, if an essay of mine had something like this (and in several other places, as you can read about in the CHFF article), I'd be pretty much screwed. Lets see what the Boston Globe has to say about it.

I'm sure Patriots fans won't feel too bad about losing Borges, though, as the guy has admitted on the radio to having a personal vendetta against Bill Belichick. I think I, as a Colts fan, could probably be a more objective writer.
    Last edited by Warhawk; 03-05-2007, 08:47 PM.

wow, that's just straight up copy & paste. Pretty lame...
    Originally posted by njx9
    i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

Comment

the lamest

Comment

The same is the story with Daily News and NY Post here in NY.

The game recap articles are always word-for-word exact.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post

Aren't those your basic AP blurbs though?

This here is one sportswriter lifting an opinion piece from another.

Comment

It could be from the Associated Press. If it's not, however, he should be fired.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post

You know you can buy articles right....You think small news papers can afford to write ever article every day?

Comment

That's bad news!!!!!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

All they do here for the local paper is go to the Yahoo recap of the game and copy and paste. Its always word for word with what Yahoo writes.

Comment

Originally posted by jayceheathman View Post
                    All they do here for the local paper is go to the Yahoo recap of the game and copy and paste. Its always word for word with what Yahoo writes.
                    Yahoo uses AP articles. They're the same articles that appear everywhere. That's a completely different issue.

Anyway, as an update to this story, the Boston Globe has suspended Ron Borges for two months.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/cit..._suspends.html

Comment

fire that guy

Comment

Originally posted by snuff View Post
                        You know you can buy articles right....You think small news papers can afford to write ever article every day?
                        I agree with you.This kind of thing happens all the time. I don't see anything wrong with what the guy did. It's not an opinion. He's just stating what happened.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
                        RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Comment

A lot of you seem to be media illiterate, so let me lay out some things. Yes, papers often share "wire" stories that did not come from someone who writes for that specific paper. Even my college newspaper does it. The original author is cited, as well as that author's home paper/service.

Ron Borges is a sports columnist. He stole someone else's words and passed them off as his own. His column was attributed to Ron Borges, not Borges and exerpts from some guy in Tacoma. Borges is a thief, and he was caught for it. None of you should feel sorry for him. He's a hack, and he should be a jobless hack at this point. 2 months is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                            A lot of you seem to be media illiterate, so let me lay out some things. Yes, papers often share "wire" stories that did not come from someone who writes for that specific paper. Even my college newspaper does it. The original author is cited, as well as that author's home paper/service.

Ron Borges is a sports columnist. He stole someone else's words and passed them off as his own. His column was attributed to Ron Borges, not Borges and exerpts from some guy in Tacoma. Borges is a thief, and he was caught for it. None of you should feel sorry for him. He's a hack, and he should be a jobless hack at this point. 2 months is a joke.
                            I agree. I want to pursue a career in Sports writing, and this is something you just don't do. He should be unemployed.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post

And it's not like the globe doesn't have other good writers...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information