Thule Enters the Career World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brent View Post
    I am not discounting knowledge. What I am saying is someone who might not be as smart or did as well in school as someone else, assuming they have more networking connections, has a better chance at success than the guy who spent all his time studying. That's not to say that you can just BS your way through school and hope to just know the right people, but that knowing the right people makes up for tons of things.
    Completely agree. Networking is the single most important aspect of business that is ignored sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
      Completely agree. Networking is the single most important aspect of business that is ignored sometimes.
      hence why i got a bad gpa and still got a great job?

oh yeah... really... who know and what they know about you is more important than any gpa, college name, GRE score you can provide... if they know you're good, that's more than a GPA can ever show to a person.
      http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
      For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
        hence why i got a bad gpa and still got a great job?

oh yeah... really... who know and what they know about you is more important than any gpa, college name, GRE score you can provide... if they know you're good, that's more than a GPA can ever show to a person.
        Yes, I've been told my many people in the professional world that most times GPA barely carries any weight, that they usually look at it to make sure you didn't barely pass and then rely more on experience, skills, and personality. That's why I laugh whenever my friends are freaking out about GPA and tell me that getting .1 higher this semester will get them an even better job than before.

Comment

but gpa's often give people the chance to succeed. if you have a **** for brains it often shows in your gpa and then it doesn't matter who you know.
          Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
            Yes, I've been told my many people in the professional world that most times GPA barely carries any weight, that they usually look at it to make sure you didn't barely pass and then rely more on experience, skills, and personality. That's why I laugh whenever my friends are freaking out about GPA and tell me that getting .1 higher this semester will get them an even better job than before.
            maybe if they're going to law school or into a graduate program. but even that is weighted on who you know and your relationship with them.

how do you think idiots get into ivy league schools? networking.
            like george bush?
            http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
            For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

I have always lied about my GPA when filling out an application or asked. Always go with some ******** number like 3.6 or something. Businesses don't care and won't check unless maybe you are trying for a prestigious law firm or something?

Anyways, not that it really matters since I own and operate a one man business, I'm only lying to myself!

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                maybe if they're going to law school or into a graduate program. but even that is weighted on who you know and your relationship with them.

how do you think idiots get into ivy league schools? networking.
                like george bush?
                Well even if you are going post grad, your score on the GMAT, LSAT, etc. is usually weighted heavier than GPA. Because honestly, they would rather take kids that do well and know the subject they are going to be studying, than kids who just did well in random subjects that have nothing to do with that particular field/career.

Comment

Congradulations goodluck.
                  Originally posted by 49erNation85
                  I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                    Congradulations
                    Damn... seriously? Did you not read the 20 other people that spelled it correctly before you?

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                      Damn... seriously? Did you not read the 20 other people that spelled it correctly before you?
                      Maybe it was on purpose? I don't know lol, I hope it was in purpose

Comment

Well even if you are going post grad, your score on the GMAT, LSAT, etc. is usually weighted heavier than GPA. Because honestly, they would rather take kids that do well and know the subject they are going to be studying, than kids who just did well in random subjects that have nothing to do with that particular field/career.
                        If you want to go to grad school or think you might, just keep your overall GPA at or above 3.0 and you should be good. That really just shows you tried haha.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                          Holy **** dude, congratulations. My one piece of advice is that you do get over what ever kept you from getting that diploma and go back and get your HS diploma and some college. Not so much as a means to success, but as a safety net now.
                          Well I'll know in the first 90 days if this job is for me...if thats the case....I think 2 years + in an enterprise level .com doing web development and programming on my resume will speak higher than any degree anyways.

The way it was explained to me is....you're pretty lucky...you should feel like the janitor at google right before the struck it big.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
                            Congratulations Thule.
                            Make sure you do not forget about SWDC though.
                            My #1 question going into this job is....how much free time will I have on the job. It's not a big corporation...so it's not like I have to put a cover page on my TPS reports...but will it be frowned upon if I have my stuff done?

The way it sounds like....work hard play hard. They have a 400 sq foot game room with a wii/pool table/ping pong table....all kinds of ****...they said people just go in there to blow off steam or w/e when they need a break...so hopefully that goes the same for browsing nfldc.

Comment

Originally posted by Libid21 View Post
                              Agreed.

I would suggest you go and get your high school diploma. It is key that you have a high school diploma in order to "succesful" (I put it in quotes because many people have different meanings of success) in life. A college diploma is not as necessary because we all know of the many people who have succeeded without a college education, but those people were very creative and even lucky. Having a college diploma just makes your life so much easier.

$.02
                              How many jobs have you been too where they asked to see your high school diploma....my resume says I graduated from North Dakota with a 3.7 GPA...and in all my life I've never heard of anyone asked to bring their high school diploma.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                                Out of curiosity, what did you plan on doing as a career without your diploma?
                                It was so up in the air right now. I really didn't have an idea. I was in with a small computer company that is about to get pretty big in GF right before I got this job. So depending on what happened there I might have gotten into the computer programming that way...but that was more on the service side...not the web development side.

Or idk....I went from prep cook to #2 in the kitchen the past 2.5 years of my life....and I enjoyed cooking....and was offered a job as a sous chef last month...with that experience I'd be able to go run any kitchen in the midwest basically.

I'd describe myself as a jack of all trades...master of none.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information