Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brent View Post
    "it's who you know, not what you know"
    Thats what I thought....but I actually think its...

"It's not what you know...It's not who you know.....It's what you know about who you know"

For instance I knew that this CEO happened to take chances on people with hard work ethic and good technology base. So I spent 3/4 of my interview saying words like diligent and hard working and determined and blah blah blah...had I not had knowledge about him I doubt I woulda gotten the job.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
      It's who you know to get in, it's what you know to progress.

In reference to your quote:
      "You need a ticket to the game to catch a foul ball."
      Knowing someone is gonna get you in but it's not guaranteed that you're going to be lucky enough to rise through the ranks based on knowing someone. A more qualified person is surely going to get the higher position based on knowledge rather than a relationship.
      Very true. Once your foot is in the door...it's on you then.

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
        secondary school education is a joke.

that's me.

congrats thule. at least you didn't get wrangled around like you did last time.
        Ya not having to go through HR made everything soooooo much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
          Yes, I've been told my many people in the professional world that most times GPA barely carries any weight, that they usually look at it to make sure you didn't barely pass and then rely more on experience, skills, and personality. That's why I laugh whenever my friends are freaking out about GPA and tell me that getting .1 higher this semester will get them an even better job than before.
          These people are in for a rude awakening in life....I tend to laugh at them....these also happen to be all the people that told me I needed to go back to school so I could get a job....

Comment

thule you are posting too much! but congrats and best of luck to you.
            my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
            <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
            <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
            Originally posted by Hermstheman83
            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
              but gpa's often give people the chance to succeed. if you have a **** for brains it often shows in your gpa and then it doesn't matter who you know.
              ....woah I'm going to have to disagree....GPA might as well be renamed TRY. Because anyone that tries in school...has a good GPA...it's about trying/studying.....until you get up into Grad school then things are different.

Comment

i've applied for big investment firms in Boston and NYC and not once was I asked my GPA.
                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                  maybe if they're going to law school or into a graduate program. but even that is weighted on who you know and your relationship with them.

how do you think idiots get into ivy league schools? networking.
                  like george bush?
                  Rich parents that either went there...or wished they went there...so happen to contribute x amount of dollars so little jimmy could go to school?

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                    ....woah I'm going to have to disagree....GPA might as well be renamed TRY. Because anyone that tries in school...has a good GPA...it's about trying/studying.....until you get up into Grad school then things are different.
                    Yes. I mean every single one of us knows the really dumb girl with zero common sense, but she tries really hard and spends a lot of time on hw/studying to get a high GPA. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but that doesn't mean she is very intelligent or even more intelligent than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                      Ya not having to go through HR made everything soooooo much easier.
                      Ugh I hate HR people. The ones we have at Comcast are ******* horrible. They don't even bother to try and help you out.

They also kept my dad from getting a job at State Farm for 10 years until he got his resume to the actual department he was applying to and he immediately got an interview and received a job offer.

The world would be a better place if we didn't have HR.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                      Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

I would say it would be better to not involve them ever in any hiring process. However, for problems within the company and dealing with personnel once they are hired, it is much better to have them than just have top level guys wasting their time with things such as the janitor's pay check or tracking vacation days.

Comment

I think our janitors would do a better job than our HR people do. I'm not joking when I say that are terrible. Literally, they have done nothing for us when we've asked.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                          Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

its their job to weed out the candidates and i get that. you get past them then the real interview starts. you just have to know how to interview to get past them. doesnt matter waht your resume say. dont just asnwer their questions with one word answers, but dont babble. give an example for each strength or weakness(play a weakness off into something that could be a strength). its cake to get past HR..its just about killing interviews 2-4 and more if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
                              Ugh I hate HR people. The ones we have at Comcast are ******* horrible. They don't even bother to try and help you out.

They also kept my dad from getting a job at State Farm for 10 years until he got his resume to the actual department he was applying to and he immediately got an interview and received a job offer.

The world would be a better place if we didn't have HR.
                              Every HR person I've met in my life has been a
                              A)Female
                              B)Idiot
                              C)Arrogant

I worked at a job for a year and a half with a clean record. New boss came in....fired me in 2 weeks....I was the #2

Less than a month later he quits and screws over the kitchen. So I go back and talk to the GM of the entire hotel...and he tells me ya everything sounds good....go talk to HR and thats that....well after talking and explaining what happened....I leave with a good feeling that I'm coming back.

Only to have to wait for her lazy ass to call me a week later and tell me shes sorry I won't be back.....needless to say I took it up with the GM and told him I was no longer interested in coming back because obviously that lady couldn't use her head.

She was also fired within a month after that happened.

I actually had a job interview back there a week before I got this job with the new executive chef....pretty crazy that I went back there after HR was fired.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
                                I think our janitors would do a better job than our HR people do. I'm not joking when I say that are terrible. Literally, they have done nothing for us when we've asked.
                                It must have something to do with the position of power....because you can never get in with them the same day....THEY ARE SOOOOOOOO BUSY.....they don't have a bunch of time for people "lower than them" and they are so busy they will "try" to get back to you.

It's like wtf....isn't that your job?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information