No announcement yet.

Free software suggestion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced SystemCare and Revo Uninstaller are very good combined with CCleaner and Smart Defrag. Revo Uninstaller has some features along with outstandig removal of applications. It not only completely removes the software (nothing gets left behind if you choose advanced mode), but also have the option to search your computer for junk files etc.

Also you should try SpywareBlaster if you have a problem with spyware. It stops new spyware from even reaching your hard-drive.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

deleted...............
      Last edited by ironman4579; 03-25-2009, 09:09 AM. Reason: Rule 13.

Originally posted by Jakey
      WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
        i don't really understand why people see "free software" and think "ZOMG, license to pirate stuff?!?!11"

i've edited the original post.
        Sorry njx. I actually wasn't really thinking of pirating music. I was thinking there might be a site out there that you payed for the download, plus like a monthly fee that was a legal site (ie, the artists are still getting paid) but the downloads were free. Or possibly even something that was just cheaper than a dollar a download like itunes. My fault though, thanks for editting the post.

Originally posted by Jakey
        WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
          Sorry njx. I actually wasn't really thinking of pirating music. I was thinking there might be a site out there that you payed for the download, plus like a monthly fee that was a legal site (ie, the artists are still getting paid) but the downloads were free. Or possibly even something that was just cheaper than a dollar a download like itunes. My fault though, thanks for editting the post.
          The penny or so an artist gets paid is hardly worth buying it. The big corporations get all the money. It is absolutely ridiculous. That might be the coolest thing about the internet right now. It is transferring the control of art away from the big corporations who don't produce any of it, and giving it back to the actual artists.

It's hard for me to not condone pirating music, as long as you support the artist in other ways(merchandise and especially going to shows.)
          I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Question: I have two users on my desktop computer, so I have two sets of different programs etc., the other user never uses this computer anymore, is there a way or any free software to combine both users so they are not splitting the memory and I can run one of these software programs and it goes through my entire computer instead of just the user I am running it on? I am using Microsoft Windows XP.

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, not the most computer savy guy...

Comment

The specific files for each user can be found here: C:\Documents and Settings

If the other user never uses the computer anymore my solution would just be to delete that user. Do that from "User Accounts" in the control panel. (You have to be logged in as a administrator to do that)

To be honest I don't really know if the software I've recommended scans all users' files and settings. I would think they do, but I'm not sure. Best solution is to just delete the user though.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Bump for that conficker ish.

Comment

I'm havin some serious problems with AVG. Can any of you guys help me out?

I downloaded it and everything but it won't scan my computer. Everytime it get to the scheduled scan time it just skips it. What the problem?
                  When you reach the upper level, your mind body and soul must be one.

Comment

Any thing anyone recommend other than InfraRecorder, I need to make a copy of this dvd, of my parents party.

Comment

Nero 7 is what I use.

Comment

Free Programs that I use, which I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Ad Aware
                        Spybot
                        Comodo Firewall
                        OpenOffice

Get your own damn links.

Comment

Speedfan - Controls fan speed, checks hard drive, temperature, etc.
                          http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Comment

Doesn't really fall under software, but Definr is a quick online dictionary for anytime you have a vocab fail.

http://definr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                              because you don't just use it to play pirated games. but i appreciate the sincere effort to get the thread closed for no reason.

for instance, i may want to rip a CD i've bought to my computer because it can make it substantially faster to use the program on it (or to install from it).
                              I cant get it to work. Im trying to make one for age of mythology gold edition but it says error everytime. What setting should I put it on? Ive tried data disk and the new security thing but it doesnt work..

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information