No announcement yet.

Help a guy out (english essay)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nowadays, everything is so image conscious with little substance necessary.. it seems like most mainstream rappers are just created out of a factory by Record Execs... Relevant for a year at the most, good enough for one or two hit singles, and then they're disposed of.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
      Cash Money literally set the stage for this movement
      Damn straight I did.
      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
      RIP themaninblack

Comment

He is talking about people like Richboy/mims/young joc/the laffytaffy people/etc
        Originally posted by SunTzu_22
        Just let it go RWO.
        We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

this is what it's all about

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
          Originally posted by BaLLiN72
          i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
          Originally posted by Job
          NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by jay cutler's #1 fan
            Like who? The only artists who are currently selling (aka mainstream) are Lil Wayne, T.I., and Kanye West. How are any of those rappers "created", good for only one or two hit singles, or relevant for a year at most?
            You're always going to have your mainstays.. I'm just talking about guys like Soulja Boy, J-Kwon, Hurricane Chris, Jibbs.. I can't be bothered to think of many more.

Comment

wow i didn't expect this many responses, i just came back. thanks for everybody's input, haven't read them yet.

basically the essay is gonna be about how modern hip-hop really LACKS a clear, meaningful message.

RIP ST

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                Why would you choose a ******* topic like that?
                Once again, why choose this topic if you don't know about it?

i didn't choose the damn topic.

RIP ST

Comment

ERRBODY IN THE CLUB GETTIN' TIPS

errbody in the club gettin tipsaaayyy

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                  Originally posted by njx9
                  do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

What kind of an essay is this, Shahin? An opinion paper? A research paper?
                    Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                    Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Those guys barely sell and are not indicative of the mainstream or hip-hop as a whole. With the exception of Soulja Boy, they are one-hit wonders. Nobody defines alt rock according to what Crazy Town does, so why define rap based on what Jibbs does?
                      Mainstream=what sells

Turn on MTV for an hour and you will see tons of it. And iTunes top 10 is just full of random rap music (mims, D4l, Soulja boy etc).

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                      Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                      i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                      Originally posted by Job
                      NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Ok, this is real fast as I am in a hurry. Lions WMD hit it on the head. Go back and look at Grand Master Flash "The Message" , MC Shan "The Bridge" and Run DMC "It's Like That". Those will give you a good example of the message that rap initially had (btw rap was originally spelled raap and it stood for Rhythmical African American Poetry). It was about the plight of the ghetto life - plain and simple. Over time, rap evolved until, more recently, rap / hip-hop has become more about putting the focus on self.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                          What kind of an essay is this, Shahin? An opinion paper? A research paper?
                          an opinion essay. the main premise being how modern hip-hop lacks the defining message that embodied the oldschool hip-hop culture.

RIP ST

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                            I suppose you could say that the message changed once corporate America got it's hands on hip-hop and tried to make it more about production than linguistic talent. They've tried to make it appeal to all sorts of people in the form of shallow club music.
                            that's what i'm trying to get at...but at what point did corporate America take control?

RIP ST

Comment

I would argue that music today is much less controlled by "corporate America" than it ever has been. You don't need a multi-million dollar studio to create commercial quality music. You might need money to get spins on MTV but you can create a big enough buzz through the internet to build a fanbase.
                              i agree with this. a few years ago (lets say 5-10), were people able to create commercial quality music without a great studio?

Hate on Soulja Boy all you want, but he built his fanbase without the help of any outside financing. That's the new model and the same model that the original rappers had to use because there wasn't any money out there for rap artists. Become hot in your own community and on the internet, and the labels come calling.
                              i'm going to try and work this into my essay.

RIP ST

Comment

Wish I can help, but it's too late for me to come up with research. Off the top of my head I'd advise to work in some underground artists, and how they have the artistic freedom to still give hip hop a message. You could also work an angle that they sacrifice bigger sales to get their message across.

This is a 5 minute vid that might help.
                                http://vodpod.com/watch/1531930-cee-...-and-education
                                "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                                ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information