Help a guy out (english essay)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a guy out (english essay)

First of all sorry for not putting this in the homework thread, I couldn't find it and this **** is due tomorrow. (procrastination baby)

Anyway, is anybody here an old-school hip hop fan? I got an english class and the essay I have to write is on how MODERN hip-hop's message is greatly distorted from original hip-hops message to society.

Original hip-hop as defined by: The Harlem Renaissance/early jazz/EARLY rap/etc

HELP A BROTHA OUT

RIP ST

Why would you choose a ******* topic like that?

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Most modern hip hop doesn't have a message. Look at the top 10 hip hop/rap songs on iTunes. It really depends on who you listen to. Say Talib Kweli as opposed to Soulja Boy. You then have the old school rap that actually was meant to say something rather than make a quick buck.

Depending on how long this essay has to be, you can BS a good portion.

Comment

You are going to have to talk about how it from a way of life to it just being about money and fame. How old hiphop had a message and today's hiphop is about nothing more than the individual. You can quote some good rappers from old hiphop and compare it to what recent hiphop artists say. There is such a big difference in hiphop. Why this topic if you don't know about it?
        Originally posted by SunTzu_22
        Just let it go RWO.
        We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

That's going to be really tough to define, as there as so many sub-genres of hip-hop. Every region of the US has hip-hop that differs from other regions as they have come up. The East Coast/New York scene was all about swagger and word play. They're punchline rappers. Gangster rap evolved out of the West Coast. The South has brought us Trap Music - hustlers who said they were rich and acted like they were rich until it actually paid off and they got rich. Cash Money literally set the stage for this movement when a 14 year old Lil Wayne came up with the saying "bling bling" in the late 90s.

It's hard to combine a specific message in all of these sub-genres, but like any art form, it generally tells the story of struggle and overcoming. I suppose you could say that the message changed once corporate America got it's hands on hip-hop and tried to make it more about production than linguistic talent. They've tried to make it appeal to all sorts of people in the form of shallow club music.

This should help you out some, too:

Comment

Originally posted by jay cutler's #1 fan
            Cash Money definitely contributed to the "bling" movement but it's as old as rap itself. It was just that only a select few rappers could afford bling so it meant a lot more.
            I know, I wasn't clear enough. What I meant by the "bling" movement was that poor guys started acting and talking rich, and people liked it enough to where it actually made them rich - as opposed to rappers who were talking about money they actually already had haha.

Comment

You should of took more time to write this. If I ever get to write about this I would love it. Hiphop is awesome if you know the history. Once again, why choose this topic if you don't know about it?
              Just let it go RWO.
              We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall

Comment

Well, old school was about social injustice and etc., now main stream is about materialistic crap. Just watch this: http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/...ath-of-hip-hop When did "Fight the Power," become, "Wait 'till you see my dick"? haha.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Comment

modern HIPHOP:
                    Drugs
                    Bitches
                    Clubs
                    Cars
                    Gangs
                    Killing
                    Money

Sig by BoneKrusher
                    Matt Barkley will be the best QB to be selected in the Top 5 since Peyton Manning.

Comment

That's going to be an extremely difficult essay to write.

What is modern hip-hop's message? I don't think you can even define it because it depends who you're listening to.
                      its simple. Early hip-hop was about how difficult things were and how everyone in their community didn't have anything, but drugs and crime in their life.

Modern= nothing, they don't talk about anything but themselves and how rich they are.

Comment

Clearly the understanding of somebody who doesn't listen to hip-hop now and didn't listen to it in the past.
                        right, I have been listening to hip-hop my entire life.

Comment

Then you should know you can't pigeon hole rap like that, new or old.
                          well, that's how mainstream has been.

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                            well, that's how mainstream has been.
                            Yea but there is a lot more hiphop out there than just mainstream. Underground is a good place to find quality hiphop.
                            Just let it go RWO.

John Wall

Comment

Originally posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
                              Yea but there is a lot more hiphop out there than just mainstream. Underground is a good place to find quality hiphop.
                              that's what I listen to, but most listen to the mainstream crap than they do to the underground MCs.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information