No announcement yet.

The Official Hip Hop Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Cole gets plenty of publicity, you just aren't looking in the right places.

Comment

• I stick to the script like I'm velcro /I'm classic when i spaz I'm like shell toes/ I talk in third person like Elmo

Comment

• Last edited by yo123; 02-16-2010, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
          J Cole gets plenty of publicity, you just aren't looking in the right places.
          I'm talking about compared to other artists in his "freshman class". But where are these so called right places? They must not be the places that get him attention from people who don't already know about him, which in the end equals little publicity. He isn't close to Drake and Cudi, even Wale was more well known before his album. Not that it is a direct sign of how much pub he gets but basically his best song Lights Please has only 140,000 plays on his myspace, Grown Simba has 160,000. Cudi was way higher than that even before MOTM, and Drake is in the millions every time.

He hasn't had the radio hits like Drake or Cudi so he hasn't had the recognition of the general public.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
            What are some good Drake songs? I like Still Fly, Ransom, Stunnin, City is Mine and some more but I still havent listened to all his ****. Help me out
            Still Drake is my favorite

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
                I'm talking about compared to other artists in his "freshman class". But where are these so called right places? They must not be the places that get him attention from people who don't already know about him, which in the end equals little publicity. He isn't close to Drake and Cudi, even Wale was more well known before his album. Not that it is a direct sign of how much pub he gets but basically his best song Lights Please has only 140,000 plays on his myspace, Grown Simba has 160,000. Cudi was way higher than that even before MOTM, and Drake is in the millions every time.

He hasn't had the radio hits like Drake or Cudi so he hasn't had the recognition of the general public.
                You are comparing him to two guys who have had insane popularity this year, but that doesn't mean he isn't getting promoted. You are comparing Derek Rose to Kobe Bryant and Lebron James as far as young MC's go (Drake and Cudi are Kobe and Bron from a popularity stand point not exactly talent though I do like both)

I frequent many hip hop blogs and believe me J Cole is a known commodity, he gets plenty of plays, and people get excited when he puts out new stuff. I went to the Jay Z concert in fall and he opened for Jay Z with Wale, you don't think that's insane exposure? being on one of the biggest tours of the year? He actually got a verse on Blueprint 3 where as drake and cudi only got to do hooks.

He hasn't crossed over into main stream success because he's not the same kind of rapper as Drake and Cudi. They have more mainstream appeal because they cater to a wider audience than Cole. Cudi had a number one song before he even had an album, the success of Day and Night is what catapulted him into the main stream. Drake has been around since like 06-07 and he is just recently entered that main stream territory. "Lights Please" is not a "day and night" or "best I ever had" now I'm not saying its not better than these songs but those two songs cater to a wide range of people and lights please just doesn't.

The same way you can ask, "How come J Cole doesn't get the exposure that Drake and Cudi get?" you can ask, "How come Fresh Daily doesn't get the exposure the J Cole gets?" He may not get the publicity Drake and Cudi get, but theres a lot of young guys that are just as good as Cole who get even less publicity, guys like Wiz Khalifa, Freddie Gibbs, Blu, Fashawn, Mickey Factz etc

Comment

• It kind've helps an artist out when they are working with Lil Wayne and Kayne West. That's how Cudi and Drake got big.

Comment

I frequent many hip hop blogs..
                    care to share?

Comment

• Comment

• Still got it

Comment

• Comment

Wish the quality was a bit better because Freddie Gibbs killed it.

Comment

• DJ Shadow- Entroducing...

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information