The Official Hip Hop Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
    I'm not sure if you would find a ton of versatile artists regardless of genre in the mainstream anyway.
    Of course there aren't many versatile artists. That's what makes them unique.
    Sure they can branch off for a few songs but basically any male artist will make songs about women, life, happiness as their main topics.
    Using them as the basis for pretty much your entire discography is what makes you not versatile.
    But what I think separates the very good and the just okay artists is that there are millions of different women to make a song about, millions of things to make you happy and to say about life and the just okay musicians end up sounding like they are talking about the same thing/woman over and over.
    Using the same topics is ok, but when you aren't bringing anything special just makes it bland and repetitive(see Below the Heavens, The Warm Up, So Far Gone)
    I think the best way to best way to have versatility is if they are able to have narratives. Songs like Brendas got a baby, Stan, N.Y. State of Mind etc. You can say a lot more if it isn't always from your point of view.
    I wouldn't say Narratives are a good judge of versatility as there are many mediocre rappers that can tell a good story.

Joe Budden is an emo rapper. That is the extent of his subject matter, yet this track is probably one of the best I've heard. It says nothing about versatility if you can make 1 good story telling track about another bland topic.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Originally posted by scottyboy
    like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.

Comment

• This is versatility

He essentially sums up people's views of life in 2 minutes.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Originally posted by scottyboy
      like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.

Comment

• Well damn I had typed a nice little reply, but the forum logged me out for some reason when I tried to post.

Basically, what I said is we'll have to agree to disagree because there is obviously no convincing you, I co-sign what dude said about narratives adding to a rappers creativity/versatility, and could you name some rappers besides Jay Elec that you deem creative/versatile.

Also, we'll have to agree to disagree on the topic of the game being boring if everyone waxed poetic, because I already find the game boring/mad repetitive at least in terms of mainstream/radio hip hop/rap.
        I don't really have anything to say for my sig.

Comment

• I wouldn't say Blu's lyrics are overly complex. I would say Jay Electronica is way more advanced, but Blu has more listenability to me and his story telling is enjoyable. I'm not even sure what complex even means. Though we speaking Mf Doom or Aesop Rocks weirdness? Canibus' use of random events/people? Elzhi's obviously superior rhyme patterns? The illmatic?

My opinion of complex would be something like Aesop Rock - Labor.

Either way I offer up Edan:

Comment

• "Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
            @SirStackAlot707

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Just lined up some shows for the upcoming weeks/months:

3/28 - Wiz Khalifa & Yellawolf
                  4/3- Wale & K'Naan
                  5/5 Drake

Should be a nice little run of shows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
                    Just lined up some shows for the upcoming weeks/months:

3/28 - Wiz Khalifa & Yellawolf
                    4/3- Wale & K'Naan
                    5/5 Drake

Should be a nice little run of shows.
                    I am jealous of you going to Wiz's show. Hopefully I can catch one this summer while I am in the 'Burgh.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                      I am jealous of you going to Wiz's show. Hopefully I can catch one this summer while I am in the 'Burgh.
                      Yup, only $15 to see him and Yellawolf, only downside is I gotta make the 40-some minute voyage to DC, because they aren't coming to Baltimore :(

Comment

• Shows on the intenary for this weekend maybe. Depends who i get around to and how many days i can take drinking all day and night. Doesnt include day parties with some others.

Comment

• I don't care what any of you guys say, I really enjoyed this album when it came out.

Comment

I don't care what any of you guys say, I really enjoyed this album when it came out.
                            that was the last CD i actually paid for
                            E]

Comment

I don't care what any of you guys say, I really enjoyed this album when it came out.
                              That was the last CD that I paid for before I discovered the internetz

Comment

• Loved Nelly back in the day, who didn't blast this track.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information