100m Sprinters run the 40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100m Sprinters run the 40

So I saw something on the forums about sprinters running the forty and how they would not be fast in it because they have top end speed. I Present you

Walter Dix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_pUa1CRUUQ
    http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/s.../368jordan.jpg

Jacoby Ellsbury ran a 4.2 one time.

I converted Justin Gatlin's time when he held the record, it was a 3.79 if he ran record 100m speed IIRC.

Comment

Yeah man, these guys can run the forty faster than any football player. Do you have a video to that jacoby run?

Comment

Obviously, a sprint is a sprint.. clearly the fastest sprinters in the world will run the fastest 40's

Comment

Originally posted by sbh15 View Post
          Jacoby Ellsbury ran a 4.2 one time.

I converted Justin Gatlin's time when he held the record, it was a 3.79 if he ran record 100m speed IIRC.
          Unless you had the splits, i don't think you can get the correct speed. You can't just get his 100 time, divide it by 100 and then multiply it by 40. They run most of the 100 meters at top speed.

Comment

idk how a sub 4 sec 40 is possible especially electronically timed.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
            02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
            02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
            02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
            Originally posted by fenikz
            we all hate you

Comment

The crazy thing is Dix looked really buff during the NCAA championships.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by OregonDucks View Post
                Yeah man, these guys can run the forty faster than any football player. Do you have a video to that jacoby run?
                Nah, they just said he did that on ESPN after he stole home.

Probably made it up.

Comment

its because these guys know how to sprint and the technique. That's why you don't see a sprinter have any success in the NFL.

Comment

they're built for sprinting. In football you basically need instincts.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                    02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                    02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                    02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                    Originally posted by fenikz
                    we all hate you

Comment

Originally posted by OregonDucks View Post
                      So I saw something on the forums about sprinters running the forty and how they would not be fast in it because they have top end speed. I Present you

Walter Dix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_pUa1CRUUQ
                      Ummm, not to be a killjoy, but that time isn't 3.75. They are off by a half second, give or take a tenth. Just get out your own stop watch and do it yourself. I timed him at 4.3, and human error wouldn't account for over a half second difference. I'd say he ran a 4.2ish and that's assuming he actually ran a full 40 yards. Nobody runs 3.75, no one. Don't you think someone at some point in the long history of the NFL would have run a sub-4 40 if it's possible to go as low as 3.75? There have been Olympic sprinters in the NFL for christs sake.
                      Last edited by nfrillman; 04-29-2009, 08:12 PM.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
                        Ummm, not to be a killjoy, but that time isn't 3.75. They are off by a half second, give or take a tenth. Just get out your own stop watch and do it yourself. I timed him at 4.3, and human error wouldn't account for over a half second difference. I'd say he ran a 4.2ish and that's assuming he actually ran a full 40 yards. Nobody runs 3.75, no one. Don't you think someone at some point in the long history of the NFL would have run a sub-4 40 if it were possible. There have been Olympic sprinters in the NFL for christs sake.
                        Dix is an Olympic sprinter but I do see your point. It seems like something like this is brought up every couple of weeks.

With perfect technique and an amazing start I can see getting close to mid 4.00s but anything under that is seems impossible.

For anyone thinking the can calculate a 100m, they pick the 40 becuase that is supposedly how long it takes you to get to full speed.
                        Originally posted by STARHEATHER
                        the only hot actreeses are adult
                        Originally posted by A Perfect Score
                        players intsimy latieres are sutpdi. the players areat all unituw/ o dpmt ebem aer about wat the lpater aare calling themeslves of whatever, terhera will Its sutpid/ neever be anothe said playerm. rscj p;syhyrt uniyeee, snf rhyrtrgotr, each player autntiwue for each syste,. /
                        Alcohol+Draft Forum= Fneuniest timez evverzzz

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
                          Ummm, not to be a killjoy, but that time isn't 3.75. They are off by a half second, give or take a tenth. Just get out your own stop watch and do it yourself. I timed him at 4.3, and human error wouldn't account for over a half second difference. I'd say he ran a 4.2ish and that's assuming he actually ran a full 40 yards. Nobody runs 3.75, no one. Don't you think someone at some point in the long history of the NFL would have run a sub-4 40 if it's possible to go as low as 3.75? There have been Olympic sprinters in the NFL for christs sake.
                          You make a great point. I timed it at around 4.28, i saw the caption and watched it and seemed legit so I jumped the gun and decided to post it. I feel like a douche now. I am gonna delete this all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
                            It isn't.

When it comes to top end speed you can't compare Olympic sprinters to NFL players, but NFL players have elite acceleration over short distances. I think Chris Johnson could compete with any Olympic sprinter in a 20 yard dash.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
                              Just went back and saw this thread... It is amazing to me how little some of these posters know yet they feel the need to give their expert opinions.

A sub 4.0 40 is impossible. Usain Bolt probably couldn't break 4.3. Carl Lewis was not known to have a great take-off and was speculated to run 4.5... 100 M runners earn their bread in the last 60m, not the first 40.

Somebody on here said they converted Justin Gatlin's 100m to a 40 and said it was 3.79...seriously? Conversions don't work. The slowest part of a race is the start. Even guys with rocket starts don't better 1.4... and 1.4 converted over 40 yards would be a 5.6... Whereas Chris Johnson could run a 1.4 10 en route to a 4.2 40...he would be covering the final 30 yards in 2.8 seconds... obviously a longer race where top-end speed plays a larger role would make a conversion way off.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information