No announcement yet.

Philosophy thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im not quite sure, but Kant said a lot of weird stuff that was basically wrong lol.

the ones that come to my mind are "What is Enlightenment" and his idea of war and such

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
      It's definitely Ancient Philosophy for me. Socrates (through accounts), Plato and Aristotle, make up a large bulk of what I read in my rhetoric classes and I loved it. Locke had a lot of ideas I agreed with, and Kant was pretty awesome as well. Admittedly, I think the one who I share a lot of views with is probably Marx and Hegel.

I did?
      You most certainly did you drunk bastard.
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
        You most certainly did you drunk bastard.
        Yikes. Well, I was probably over-exaggerating my views. As was said above, he wanted to get **** done and prevent rebellion. I suppose "warmonger" wasnt the best choice. I would say ruthless was a trait he advocated. I'm more of the type that thinks we can solve all problems with discourse but some resort to violence, which is ridiculous.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
          Yikes. Well, I was probably over-exaggerating my views. As was said above, he wanted to get **** done and prevent rebellion. I suppose "warmonger" wasnt the best choice. I would say ruthless was a trait he advocated. I'm more of the type that thinks we can solve all problems with discourse but some resort to violence, which is ridiculous.
          id agree with that statement

Comment

Originally posted by Gay Ork Wang View Post
            im not quite sure, but Kant said a lot of weird stuff that was basically wrong lol.
            I'm just guessing, but I would bet that Kant and Rationalism is especially denegrated in Germany post-Holocaust.

Americans tend to have a much more positive outlook on Rationalism, in part because they didn't suffer from a lot of its negative aspects in nearly the same way.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
              I'm just guessing, but I would bet that Kant and Rationalism is especially denegrated in Germany post-Holocaust.

Americans tend to have a much more positive outlook on Rationalism, in part because they didn't suffer from a lot of its negative aspects in nearly the same way.
              nah its not about Rationalism, just Kant. I havent read enough of Voltaire or Descartes. im 18 after all. but the stuff we read from Kant were kinda weird and not really right lol.

Comment

Existentialism is where it's at.

Comment

nah its not about Rationalism, just Kant. I havent read enough of Voltaire or Descartes. im 18 after all. but the stuff we read from Kant were kinda weird and not really right lol.
                  Kannt did have a pretty skewed view of the world, but that's mainly due to the fact that he not once in his life left his home town. All he knew of the world was what travellers and explorers who visited him, told him. With any philosopher, taking the circumstances around which they formulated their ideas into account is very important.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                    Kannt did have a pretty skewed view of the world, but that's mainly due to the fact that he not once in his life left his home town. All he knew of the world was what travellers and explorers who visited him, told him. With any philosopher, taking the circumstances around which they formulated their ideas into account is very important.
                    yea but his "what is enlightenment" thesis was bullcrap

Comment

I'm a fan of this philosophy stuff. Some of it is fascinating.

There were many good poll options, but I have a particular appreciation for the Ancient Greeks since they were philosophizing (yes, I've made it a word) before modern science and were essentially theorizing things for the first time, not building off of the work of others.

Nietzche is a close second.
                      R.I.P. L.E.F.
                      "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Aristotle was awesome. there is that one story of him going down the market and someone called him like an imposter and an asshole or something. he didnt react and when someone else asked him why he wasnt offended. he said: when someone says something, its either true or it is not. if its true, you shouldnt be offended cause well its true. if it isnt, well you know it isnt so why feel offended?

i really love that anecdote

Comment

yea but his "what is enlightenment" thesis was bullcrap
                          not even gonna argue, his enlightenment-thesis wasn't his best work.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Aristotle was awesome. there is that one story of him going down the market and someone called him like an imposter and an asshole or something. he didnt react and when someone else asked him why he wasnt offended. he said: when someone says something, its either true or it is not. if its true, you shouldnt be offended cause well its true. if it isnt, well you know it isnt so why feel offended?

i really love that anecdote
                            Aristotles greatest story, like Socrates, is the way he died. After years of sieging his city (Syracuse) the Romans finally got to the city. Centurion told his men "Find Aristotales, but do not hurt that great man". Anyhoo, soldier who finally found his home kicked the door down, and found him busy with experiments.
                            Basically, Aristotales was so pre-occupied with his work that he couldn't be bothered by trivial matters such as a Roman invasion or his door getting kicked down by a soldier.
                            The soldier was so upset because he was ignored that he killed one of the greatest minds in history. He got crucified for disobeying orders and killing an unarmed civilian.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

As an educator, I had to go with John Locke.
                              My school e-mail signature line contains one of his quotes.
                              "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth."

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                                As an educator, I had to go with John Locke.
                                My school e-mail signature line contains one of his quotes.
                                "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth."
                                Possession of what truth. That is the main problem. Also, why there was a progression in philosophy.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information