Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
    Possession of what truth.
    And so the discussion begins - What is truth?

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
      Truth is, i hate philosophy ;)
      Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
      Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
          In our world today, truth is popular consensus of "experts". Whatever the majority of "experts" believes in is truth. Because most people don't have the expertise and knowledge in the subject in question, they are almost forced to believe what a higher being in society tells them. This is what truth is today in our world, a belief in the words of the "experts".

Comment

its not all about the experts. everyone has to find something for himself. if you discuss though, the truth is something that cant be argued against.

when someone says something is wrong u have to have to base your doubts on something. if u dont have anything you can say against that why should it be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
              In our world today, truth is popular consensus of "experts". Whatever the majority of "experts" believes in is truth. Because most people don't have the expertise and knowledge in the subject in question, they are almost forced to believe what a higher being in society tells them. This is what truth is today in our world, a belief in the words of the "experts".
              This is kind of a very post modern thought. That perception creates a reality, or truth, and this perception you would argue is told to us by experts.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                This is kind of a very post modern thought. That perception creates a reality, or truth, and this perception you would argue is told to us by experts.
                Not really. Postmodernists would say that discourse creates the supposed truth. The very concept of an "expert" is a complete social construction which comes from the manipulation of discourse, not from a supposed enlightened perspective.

I would also disagree with the premise. Most people in the world are actually staunchly anti-intellectual, particularly in the United States, where probably a good half the population doesn't belief in evolution. Expert that.

The problem with Locke, and most rationalists in my estimation, is that they never really define what 'rationalism' is (take truth out of the equation for a second, as even rationalists don't really belief in truth). The observer does not create the event, the event creates the self-perception of the observer, which is inherently unknowable except through discursive practices.

The idea that one has established a basis of rationality is completely self-illusory.
                Last edited by bearsfan_51; 05-02-2009, 02:43 PM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I believe what ever jerry Angelo says

Comment

I'm interested in Philosophy but have not read into much of it. Thus my vote is pending.

by BoneKrusher
                    <DG> how metal unseen
                    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Example of current world "truth".

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                      My doctors said Im 5'10, almost every where else says Im atleast 6'. Id say go to a gym or just make one on your wall and see how tall you really are
                      Originally posted by The Legend View Post
                      Or just believe the doctors? lol
                      Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                      Lol no Im a legit 6' probably more close to 6'1 now and I went to the doctors like 2 monthes ago

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                        Congratulations, I will now be forced to think about this any time I hear about cloning. Also, this question is going to occupy my mind for a couple hours.

I decided to go with incest as a clone is a separate being.
                        Last edited by Brent; 05-02-2009, 03:39 PM.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I'm afraid I may not be able to discuss much here as I would no doubt take the discussion along a "religious/theological" route.

In regards to truth, truth is absolute, it transcends perspective.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Wow, that actually is a good question. I'd go with incest, since although that person is your clone physically, they may think and act differently. But are we even sure of that?

by BoneKrusher
                            <DG> how metal unseen
                            <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

I am just finishing philosopy 101, and I really enjoyed learning about Kant probably my favorite. It was also interesting to learn about Marks, and Buddha.
                              Originally posted by 49erNation85
                              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

Descartes and Voltaire are definately my favorites. I honestly don't know anything about Kant.

Je pense, donc je suis: I think, therefore I am

Jose Ortega y Gasset is another interesting one I hardly hear about.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                                Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                                i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                                Originally posted by Job
                                NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information