No announcement yet.

Philosophy thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone summarize the differences between the different poll options?

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
      Can someone summarize the differences between the different poll options?
      the amount of effort and time required to do that exceeds the amount of time you could spend doing the reading on your own

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

also Wikipedia. It died on the cross to save your sins, now SERVE IT WITH GLADNESS

by BoneKrusher
        <DG> how metal unseen
        <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Comment

Totally slap in the face to objectivist not to be even mentioned...All kidding aside Ayn Rand is my favorite philosopher to read, while she's an idealist her ideals are so simply awesome that it's tough not to appreciate. Machiavelli's fasinating and I'll always love Voltaire, Nietzsche, Sartre and Descartes.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
              In our world today, truth is popular consensus of "experts". Whatever the majority of "experts" believes in is truth. Because most people don't have the expertise and knowledge in the subject in question, they are almost forced to believe what a higher being in society tells them. This is what truth is today in our world, a belief in the words of the "experts".
              There are different types of truths. There are some truths that are so specific that one can't help but use the "experts" as a base for truth without delving into extensive research and experimentation. However there are also truths that each person must discover for themselves which subjective, in these matters while "experts" may exist, their "knowledge" is highly incomplete and thus I feel it is a truth one can only find for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                Wow, that actually is a good question. I'd go with incest, since although that person is your clone physically, they may think and act differently. But are we even sure of that?
                The answer depends on whether your clone is simply a biological copy, in which case it would be incest, or whether that clone would also have my memories and my reactions to my memories, because that would most likely leave the clone with my personality at which point he and I would be the same, thus making it masturbation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
                  Totally slap in the face to objectivist not to be even mentioned...All kidding aside Ayn Rand is my favorite philosopher to read
                  1) I do not like Objectivism.
                  2) I hated reading Ayn Rand.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Ayn Rand is trash.

That said, objectivism is basically just a mis-mash of existentialism, empiricism, and rationalism. There's nothing new to it, other than she's a terrible writer.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

ouch guys, and I thought we were friends.

Comment

I'll let you know next year when I'm studying it more ;)

Comment

I ******* despise all theories of Personal Identity, and to answer the question in hand, I've always enjoyed reading Marx's theories so I just went with him for the hell of it.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                            I ******* despise all theories of Personal Identity, and to answer the question in hand, I've always enjoyed reading Marx's theories so I just went with him for the hell of it.
                            I agree. Marxism gets a bad rep from the general public because of asshole individuals taking it to extremes.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                              I agree. Marxism gets a bad rep from the general public because of asshole individuals taking it to extremes.
                              that and the ridiculous assumptions that man can function for the benefit of others rather than himself or that a group of individuals can know how to run someone's life better than that person.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
                                that and the ridiculous assumptions that man can function for the benefit of others rather than himself or that a group of individuals can know how to run someone's life better than that person.
                                Well, I think for a basis of society it is good theory, but obviously as society progresses it will become less necessary/applicable.

But as a side note, in all honestly, a good amount of people are complete morons, and telling them how to run their life would prolly be better than them trying to do it themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information