Philosophy thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gay Ork Wang View Post
    god no, i really hate literary analysis. its always so wishy washy, never sure, ull never be sure if the author really meant it. it always seemed to random
    That's not always true, maybe if you are looking for layers in a novel.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I'm not a big fan of writing, actually. And I don't like Literature. hmm.

Does anyone have any personal philosophy? Like a saying they stick to and live by?
      Not a saying, but a general concept of emotional detachment has done wonders for me.

by BoneKrusher
      <DG> how metal unseen
      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• I think there's two things that I dislike about Math. The first is a common criticism, and that is how it is taught. The general idea seems to be to present heavily abstracted mathematical concepts a little bit at a time, growing a comfort level and ultimately, a working knowledge. Certainly, this is somewhat dictated by the fact that proofs for simple mathematical concepts are rarely even close to as simple. But for me, that level of abstraction always felt too much like blind acceptance of knowledge without reason, and so I resisted. Recently, having been forced to jump back into math for college, I took a class where the instructor always provided the proof where it was possible, stressed understanding the reason behind each step, and actually gave some historical background on ideas (as well as linking some ideas to other areas of study, mostly scientific). It helped me.

The other thing that bugs me about math is really just adding onto the way it's presented. It's so heavily abstracted from anything real that you're forced to build up rather complex mental structures to attack with with any real proficiency. Personally, the symbolic logic course I just wrapped up this semester was far more comprehensible for me because it was so heavily tied into language and sequential reasoning. All symbolism is tied up into verbal reasoning and if you're the type who's comfortable with that, it's hard to get lost even doing proofs that require 30+ steps. Of course, I'm a musician at heart, which is ultimate example of a physical representation of mathematical concepts. In music theory classes, the similarities to mathematics is constantly presented, but I firmly believe that the real difference is that music theory has a really hard time reaching the same level of abstraction of most mathematical forms because it is built around something highly tangible. A huge part of the reason I'm forcing myself to get back into mathematics is due to how closely mathematics like Trigonometry tie into the physics of sound (and the synthesis of that sound through frequency modulation), and my hope is that the tether that holds to music will help keep me interested.

Does anyone have any personal philosophy? Like a saying they stick to and live by?
        If I have one, it would be to never let a transient conviction keep me from taking a new view of something (or a new view of everything). So, my personal philosophy would be not to have a set personal philosophy.

Comment

• As soon as we start talking about math. **** hits the fan.

RESET BUTTON PLZ
          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• I mean i understand when people believe something that is wrong or wants to believe something that is wrong.

But how can someone believe something that he knows is wrong? how can you lie to yourself?

Comment

• Originally posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
              I mean i understand when people believe something that is wrong or wants to believe something that is wrong.

But how can someone believe something that he knows is wrong? how can you lie to yourself?
              Do you mean believe as in say you believe, or act that you believe? Or do you mean believe that something is true or right when you "really" don't?

The first is entirely possible and happens all the time - usually called "lying." I think the second is impossible. You can be conflicted or unsure, but if you come to the point of believing something to be right, that's what you believe. There may be some wiggle room because you starting doubting that belief, but that's different than a contradiction of belief, which is what I think you're saying.

by BoneKrusher
              <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• its just i dont understand when people say: "I know I am a hypocrite" i dont think that makes any sense. If you know you contradict yourself, you found yourself in a dilemma you should solve, i dont understand how someone can just go on with it.

Comment

its just i dont understand when people say: "I know I am a hypocrite" i dont think that makes any sense. If you know you contradict yourself, you found yourself in a dilemma you should solve, i dont understand how someone can just go on with it.
                  Given the situations that come to mind as I read this, I think subconsciously we make a choice. Is it worth it to work through the dilemma or can I stay comfortable admitting to being a hypocrite. I think most choose the later.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• thats idiotic though, i mean if you know you are wrong why continue on being wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                      I have a few:
                      "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
                      Oscar Wilde

and

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
                      Socrates
                      I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

thats idiotic though, i mean if you know you are wrong why continue on being wrong
                        There is a very simple explanation for that. Most people are too scared or lazy to confront what is really happening in their minds. Speaking from personal experience, nothing has been more frightening than really delving into my psyche and trying to figure out why I believe things I believe. It is much easier to just accept what you believe and not question it.
                        I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                          There is a very simple explanation for that. Most people are too scared or lazy to confront what is really happening in their minds. Speaking from personal experience, nothing has been more frightening than really delving into my psyche and trying to figure out why I believe things I believe. It is much easier to just accept what you believe and not question it.
                          Bingo. I'll even say most people are too scared or too lazy to change their behaviors. Once people settle into a comfort zone regarding any stream of thought, action, or attitude the mind will find ways to justify what it does or thinks. Humans are not perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                            I'm the same way. When I really think about what I believe is right, the complications and the logical implications freak my brain out. Then I begin to sympathize with those who merely go with the flow and don't really think through the big philosophical/political questions. I almost envy them.

by BoneKrusher
                            <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• i mean i get that, thats why i understand why people hang on to wrong believes. but if you understand something is wrong or hypocrite, you obviously started to think about it. why not finish that?

Comment

• Because people are too lazy to carry out a decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information