Whats your major/line of work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
    The world needs more economists, I mean Neo-Keynesianism has become mainstream, that's just ****** up.
    The world needs more economists who study economics from the complex system perspective instead of the static neo-classical method. It needs more of the latter like it needs a nuclear holocaust.
    Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck; 05-07-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
      Wharton is like the best buisness school in the US. My roommate wont shut up about it.
      It's the best bschool in the world. It's comparable to getting into Harvard.

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
      But was he hungover for the SAT and high for the ACT? :D
      No. He's not like that at all.
      Temple University Owls

Comment

• Originally posted by Staubach12 View Post
        Here are the things I'm interested in studying:

Political Science
        Macro Economics
        English
        Creative Writing
        Journalism
        Communications
        Philosophy
        Public Relations

Next year, I'm going to UT (Tennessee). If they had a creative writing major, I might do that, but they only offer that as a minor. So, what's good to major in if I'm looking to go into Journalism or Public Relations as a career, and write fiction on the side? Any advice would be appreciated.
        Philosophy and creative writing are pretty much worthless as a sole major. Journalism jobs are dwindling. Poli sci is a major where you should go to law school after. Econ, PR and comm are all fine majors.
        Temple University Owls

Comment

The world needs more economists, I mean Neo-Keynesianism has become mainstream, that's just ****** up.
          Not a Paul Krugman fan are you?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Funny you should say that because the job I'm likely to take in the Fall pays about as much as they'll be making ;). Hooray suburb schools!
            In the long run? A teacher ain't going to make squat compared to someone who is good with finance. I also am likely going to be a teacher.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• to sum up this thread:
              Damix>you
              Hawk lays caulk (it rhymes, I had a blast with that)
              broth created the swine flu
              We ALL bleed scarlet
              New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
              UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

The world needs more historians. The Da Vinci code has become accepted as factual. AH that makes my head want to explode!!!

Put me in a room with Dan Brown literature and the history channel, I'll kill myself. I can't even imagine what it's like being educated like BF51. Everything must appear false.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                they get smoked.

Comment

Not a Paul Krugman fan are you?
                  You know, Krugman is sort of an enigma for me, he's not an idiot and sometimes he almost understands, but then he doesn't which leads him to dangerous conclusions and make him painful to read. Sometimes he's not bad but in general I am definitely not a krugman fan. Then again I loathe Bernanke, geithner, greenspan and almost all mainstream economists because of their dogmatic adherence to courses of action who's negative ramifications should be blatant so Krugman's probably one of my least hated mainstream economists despite my absolute disgust with keynesianism/neo-keynesianism.

Originally posted by JHG722 View Post
                  No. He's not like that at all.
                  well his scores aren't that impressive then.

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                    The world needs more historians. The Da Vinci code has become accepted as factual. AH that makes my head want to explode!!!

Put me in a room with Dan Brown literature and the history channel, I'll kill myself. I can't even imagine what it's like being educated like BF51. Everything must appear false.
                    My issue with historians is the statist/interventionist bias that's just permits most of the what I've read, be it text books or articles, that bias there and strong. Not to turn this into a political discussion but FDR and Lincoln are great examples of people who are almost canonized in much of what I've read yet personally I find severe fault in the actions of both that is utterly ignored all too often.

Comment

My issue with historians is the statist/interventionist bias that's just permits most of the what I've read, be it text books or articles, that bias there and strong. Not to turn this into a political discussion but FDR and Lincoln are great examples of people who are almost canonized in much of what I've read yet personally I find severe fault in the actions of both that is utterly ignored all too often.
                      You need to look harder for more unbiased stuff. It's out there.

they get smoked.

Comment

In the long run? A teacher ain't going to make squat compared to someone who is good with finance. I also am likely going to be a teacher.
                        For me, there is a difference in making an acceptable amount of money and enjoying your job, rather than working 50-60 hour weeks for some company and being stressed out all the time. And, really, I am not someone who's first goal in their career is to simply make money, I'd like to actually have a job that is meaningful and has a social impact. Even if it's only a minor one.

Comment

For me, there is a difference in making an acceptable amount of money and enjoying your job, rather than working 50-60 hour weeks for some company and being stressed out all the time. And, really, I am not someone who's first goal in their career is to simply make money, I'd like to actually have a job that is meaningful and has a social impact. Even if it's only a minor one.
                          I agree 100%. I stopped business major and turned to history for these reasons. But for someone who is a Finance major scrilla probably plays a big role.

they get smoked.

Comment

You need to look harder for more unbiased stuff. It's out there.
                            I know, it's just never been my specialization and everytime I've tried I've been stuck with either the statist/interventionist bias or people being way too far on the otherside of the spectrum. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a lot of history, but it's not something I can recommend a man with a clear conscience. I have to many friend who have useless history degrees.

Comment

I agree 100%. I stopped business major and turned to history for these reasons. But for someone who is a Finance major scrilla probably plays a big role.
                              Yes, because one grew up poor and is a total materialist and the other is probably just going to end up taking over his father's construction contacting buisness, so he's setting himself up nicely to run that buisness. And, with an examination of my own life, I live pretty cheaply and my parents raised me pretty well with regards to spending money. Not to mention, I dont ever want my own children, so there's one huge financial burden I'll not worry about :).

Comment

• If I go into academia it'll be because I like it. I don't really care for money, just that I have some to live off of. And considering my subject, I'm not going much for the social impact either. Others in the field may disagree, but I find much of the social sciences superfluous. I'm not saying that useful stuff isn't being discovered, but helping people? Nah.

by BoneKrusher
                                <DG> how metal unseen
                                <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information