No announcement yet.

Should I put my dog down?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last time I cried was when I had to put my first dog down. It's a sad thing that shouldn't be taken lightly.
    Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
    RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
      The last time I cried was when I had to put my first dog down. It's a sad thing that shouldn't be taken lightly.
      I didn't think about it, but wow...same here.

by BoneKrusher
      <DG> how metal unseen
      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

My Dad put down my Uncles dog. The dog was like 16 and had 3 legs. Sad day.

Comment

Originally posted by 'cuse-213 View Post
          My Dad put down my Uncles dog. The dog was like 16 and had 3 legs. Sad day.
          I'm beginning to think that I'd rather put my own dog down next time than have the vet do it for me. More personal and lets the dog go out around people it knows rather than some creepy vet clinic.

The question is if i could do it or not.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
          they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
          Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
            I'm beginning to think that I'd rather put my own dog down next time than have the vet do it for me. More personal and lets the dog go out around people it knows rather than some creepy vet clinic.

I couldn't do it. I had to have my grandfather do it.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Lots of options are available with some leg work on your part.

1. call a few local Veterinary Hospitals to inquire about things like payment plans, financial assistance and donation funds.

2. ask said vet clinics about possible organizations that can help you.

The biggest national one is the SPCA. - spca.com - nice and easy.

Some local orgs I deal with here in RI that may have chapters there in indy: Volunteer Services for Animals.
              The Humane Society.
              (Insert_Town) Animal Protection League (ie Providence APL, Warwick APL - also the P could be R as in Providence Animal Rescue League)

Here's the link to the results page I got in one google search for the term "Indianapolis animal care financial assistance" -- linked here.

Aspirin is safe for dogs. The dose depends on the size of the dog and it MUST be aspirin only, not advil, tylenol or anything like that. PM or post the dog's weight and any other meds it is on and I can give you a dose that can be used for the day or so it takes to get $$$ together and see a vet. (or just ask the hospital you talk to today if you're leary about taking advice like that from a random on-line name & supercool avatar - I won't take offense. ;))

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

maybe you should find a new vet clinic. lol

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
                  maybe you should find a new vet clinic. lol
                  That's not the point. I think a dog would rather go out with its master than some vet.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                  they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                  Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

That's not the point. I think a dog would rather go out with its master than some vet.

I understand your point and was playing w/the 'creepy' remark.

But you do know it can be both, right? Most owners stay with them, talk to them and pet them while the euthanasia is performed.

And it's a whole lot cleaner and easier on an owner and the pet vs. the "Old Yeller" method. But we digress . . . and I'm not really looking for a discussion of the merits of euthanasia methods . . .

Comment

Damn bro, I feel for you here. Definitely wait a few days and keep the dog resting and stuff, call around and check some vet stuff, I don't really know. I'm ok with putting it down if it's in pain though, sometimes it gets more painful to live than to die.

I've had 2 dogs we had to put down, but to be honest, I think the thing that makes you cry/feel so badly is when you've had it since it was a puppy. I have two dogs now, but one of them we got when he was like 5 or 6, so it wasn't like we raised him from a pup, I'll feel sad when he goes, but I'm not sure about how sad. Then we have a pug who I've been around since she was a puppy and seriously just thinking about this with her makes me kinda sad. I hope both can die of natural causes - they're both extremely healthy and get exercise, so they both have a few years.

Comment

Even though they were my wife's dogs before i met here, i know that i will have to bring them to the vet when the time comes... not looking forward to it. :( :( :(

I feel for you, man.

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                        Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                          that was like one of the saddest moments im life when my dog died

Comment

Originally posted by Gay Ork Wang View Post
                            that was like one of the saddest moments im life when my dog died
                            I'm so glad I was away at school when my dog died. She had a seizure and my dad and brother had to take her to be put down.

Also, my dad had a doberman for like 10-12 years, before he got married and then until I was about 3 or 4. To this day, he cannot go near dobermans because he starts to cry uncontrollably.

Like others said Indy, wait at least a couple days and try to contact some vets or clinics for advice. Stay strong man.

Comment

I don't usually get attached to things (I could care less about most of my relatives) but I'll cry like a little girl when my cat dies. I love that cat.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                                I don't usually get attached to things (I could care less about most of my relatives) but I'll cry like a little girl when my cat dies. I love that cat.
                                That's kind of the weird thing about it for me. I've never cried at any funerals for my family members even though I loved them, but I cried like a little ***** when my dog died.
                                Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                                RIP themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information