No announcement yet.

college

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually trying to get into two Ohio schools. (BGSU {Accepted} and CCMS)

Is there something wrong with me?

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

D-UNIT could help you with this. He has the most school spirit for Hawaii that anyone I have seen. I guess it depends on whether or not you are an introvert or an extravert. If you are an extravert and are not afraid to get out and meet new people then Hawaii would be cool. I'm sure Samoans are way different from than the people in Ohio. If your an introvert and dont like change that much then Ohio State might be for you. Ohio State is also a much more demanding school than Hawaii so it also depends on how much you want to study and are focused on getting a good GPA.

Comment

Coming from somebody that's actually in upper-academia, Ohio State is a MUCH better school academically. If you actually care about that, and the scholorships are roughly the same, it's not even close.

You can get a good job with a degree and move to the beach if you're that concerned with weather. Don't short-change the importance of a good education becuase of something like that.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
          since all of us are football fans i am suprised no one has said Ohio simply based on there football tradition. that being said i am a real laid back person so i would choose hawaii in a heartbeat. 15 mins from campus is too damn close. F that. but like some other ppl have said, this should be a decision that you make on your own and really don't listen to any of us.
          People that choose their college based off the sports teams are the dumbest people in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
            on the other hand, if you're not going to grad school, as long as the school is accredited, it makes absolutely no difference where you got the piece of paper (or, often, what the piece of paper says). moreso because a fair amount of the time, the undergrad level education has more or less the same degree of worthlessness because schools seem to let in anybody who can breathe.
            Well it's all relative. That being said, most people have no idea what they want to do so....

Generally just being in classes with smarter people (not that Ohio State is the academic mecca of the world or anything) can heighten the discourse.

I know for a fact that Ohio State is relatively restrictive in terms of attedance. Don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of meatheads, but I've seen much much worse.

Comment

frogstomp i was asking if anyone here had been to hawaii so I could ask them questions about it, not trying to ask what you guys think... Im pretty sure that getting scholarships is a bit difficult and that Im not exactly stupid enough to throw away my education for good weather. The other side is that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and while OSU is the better school, Hawaii has the better ROTC program..... Im undecided in a major right now and I may make a career out of the army.

also i dont live close to OSU i live in Akron, over 180 miles away
              Originally posted by DChess
              how does it feel when you touch yourself at night knowing you havent been with a girl in a long long time.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                Coming from somebody that's actually in upper-academia, Ohio State is a MUCH better school academically. If you actually care about that, and the scholorships are roughly the same, it's not even close.

You can get a good job with a degree and move to the beach if you're that concerned with weather. Don't short-change the importance of a good education becuase of something like that.

Thats true as long you want to study much more. A person that has an A at Hawaii will get more jobs than someone that got a C at tOSU. I would base it on which place you will enjoy rather than which school is more difficult. If you enjoy the place then you will be more likely to get good grades than some place you hate.

Comment

A person that has an A at Hawaii will get more jobs than someone that got a C at tOSU.
                  Not necessarily... If he goes back to work in Ohio hes going to have a hard time finding anyone that knows anything about Hawaii academics, not to mention that he could get internships at tOSU that lead to places in Ohio.

If you live 180miles from tOSU then go there. It isn't even a hard decision for me and I am a michigan fan.

Comment

Originally posted by jayceheathman View Post
                    Thats true as long you want to study much more. A person that has an A at Hawaii will get more jobs than someone that got a C at tOSU. I would base it on which place you will enjoy rather than which school is more difficult. If you enjoy the place then you will be more likely to get good grades than some place you hate.
                    Do you hire? Or are you just pulling **** out of your arse?

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                      Do you hire? Or are you just pulling **** out of your arse?
                      It's common sense man. I would expect more from someone that is going to graduate school. An employer will look at that C and figure you did just enough to get by so you can get the degree. Granted if you get an A then thats a whole different story. I will put it this way. If you get an A in graduate school in Minnesotta I guarantee you will get the job over someone that didnt do so well at Harvard or Yale that you are competing against.

Comment

I'd go to OSU personally. I just couldn't be that far away from my friends and family.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                          you're wrong and completely underestimating the power of "connections" and "branding".

your argument is essentially "i would expect everyone to buy their suit from KMart rather than Armani if the BBB said they were better made than an Armani."
                          Sure, if you happen to meet a potential employer while your their and get on his/her good side then consider you one of the lucky ones. If you were an employer who would you choose? Someone that worked hard and exceeded expectations at a lesser university or someone with tons of natural ability but refused to use it at an elite college?

Comment

Everyone gets A's in graduate school. Your GPA means next to nothing.

By the way, as someone that does educate, I can tell you that most people will rise to the discourse level that surrounds them. It's not a coincidence that education patters generally remain consistent in areas over time.

If you're a C student at Ohio State, you're probably going to be a C student everywhere else too, and if the education at another place is so low that you can get A's with the same kind of effort, it's still going to show in an interview.

Grades, like njx said, mean very little in regards to most interviews. They are much more concerned with your general level of knowledge, which can't be conveyed by a GPA.
                            Last edited by bearsfan_51; 03-06-2007, 07:48 PM.

Comment

GPA means a lot actually, but where you went to school means a lot more.

Comment

It's not completely irrelevant. But it's only a small piece of the puzzle unless you're doing something academically motivated. A lot of it depends on career goals, so to speak in generalities either way is pretty pointless.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information