No announcement yet.

Thinking about buying a new laptop...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd also like to hear what people have to say, as I am also looking for a laptop like APS is. 1200 is probably a good upper range, although I'd like to see if I can get something under 1000. I'm interested in a MacBook because there's a deal for college students where you can get a free iTouch if you by a MacBook through Apple. Pretty tempting. I'm not totally opposed to PC at this point, as I've barely begun to look around.

by BoneKrusher
    <DG> how metal unseen
    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
      I'd also like to hear what people have to say, as I am also looking for a laptop like APS is. 1200 is probably a good upper range, although I'd like to see if I can get something under 1000. I'm interested in a MacBook because there's a deal for college students where you can get a free iTouch if you by a MacBook through Apple. Pretty tempting. I'm not totally opposed to PC at this point, as I've barely begun to look around.
      That's what I did when I bought my Macbook. You get the student discount, and a rebate for the IPod, it is very nice.

Follow Me on Twitter!
      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Lenovo's are little compact tanks. Durable, reliable and consistently gets great reviews. I'd definitely recommend one of those.

Comment

Is their anything you are looking for personally?

Screen size, Intel or AMD, HD space, do you want HDMI, 32 or 64bit, is a blu-ray drive necessary [I know you're a movie buff]..

I'm not that great with brands as I never owned a laptop [I always buy desktop parts from Tiger Direct and Newegg and build my own desktop] but I'll try to throw some input out.

I agree that you should avoid the HP and Compaq brands though.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

Eee PCs ftw

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

What are you going to use it for? If your not planning on doing any hardcore computing, just using Word/Internet, then go with a netbook. They have like 20gb hard drives you can find bigger ones though. Or you can just buy a 100 gb 2.5 inch hard drive and carry that with you.

You can get a pretty good one for 500. Its lightweight, very portable and for simple task.

But if you want to spend higher and are looking to do more then surf the web and use basic programs Lenovo is the way to go. You actually paying for the computer rather than the looks. Go with a quad core system and now at least 3 gb of ram.

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
                Thats the complete opposite of what my expierences have been.

I have a few friends in the tech worlds and they all use Mac. Several companies they have worked for use Mac as the company computer. They would go to work for someone and then tell me that they are getting a new G5 tomorrow to work on. And these jobs are in Dallas and Southern California and I am pretty sure those two areas are leading the charge on techie jobs and starter companies.
                G5 desktop is very different from a Mac Pro laptop.

Comment

I would take a mac over anything. But I bought an HP Pavilion dv4 entertainment laptop. And I haven't had any troubles with it. I wanted to buy a mac, but I didn't have enough graduation money to get it. :(

sig by fenikz
                  Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                  You are just a terrible person.
                  Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                  I have an iPhone.

Comment

I'm not sure about macs, I'm very very used to using windows and the way the Mac OS uses the screen I dislike. That and no right mouse button (why? why no right mouse button?!) makes me give the edge to non-mac computers.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Lets not turn this into Mac Vs. PC....everyone knows that Linux is the best operating system out there.

Comment

going into college in the fall, i'm looking for a laptop as well. my budget's pretty low. i have $500 saved up for now and my ceiling is probably $800. from research, i found i can get the most bang for my buck in terms of RAM and whatnot from the inspiron and the toshiba satellite. i was actually aiming for an hp but some people on here seem to not like it. my mom got a toshiba satellite and it's not too shabby and my sister had a really bad experience with a dell a few years back. i was favoring the slightly more pricey hp but wanna know why some of you guys dislike it.

i'm looking for at least 3gb of RAM, at least a 14.1 in display, at least 2.0GHz clock speed and definitely an intel duo core processor. any suggestions?

Comment

Smaller the screen the better, its meant to be portable. Go with Quad core processor.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                            Smaller the screen the better, its meant to be portable. Go with Quad core processor.
                            Good luck finding a 13"-14" quad-core notebook. Especially one <$1200. A Core 2 Duo should be more then enough for everyday purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                              Good luck finding a 13"-14" quad-core notebook. Especially one <$1200. A Core 2 Duo should be more then enough for everyday purposes.
                              ahaha yeah....its like trying to find 13-14 that doesn't have integrated graphic card.

Comment

I dont think you can find any quad core notebooks at this point. Quad core tech is only for desktops last time I checked.

I use my computer for the same reasons everyone does really. I dont do alot of gaming, but I enjoy the odd one every now and then, although most of them are older (HOMAM3, Starcraft, etc.) and pretty much any comp can run those sort of games, so it isnt an issue.

I do a ******** of writing, both for school and for myself, and I watch a ******** of movies and TV on my computer, usually through .avi files. Bluray isnt all that important though, since I hate torrenting Bluray files which are like 6GB in comparions to the regular 700 MB and quite honestly, im fine with regular DVD quality.

I looked alot at Macbooks last night, and I like the deals Mac have. You get a huge discount on Macbooks and Macbook Pros and get the free iPod touch. That said, I also like the Sony Vaio, but I keep hearing mixed things about Sony, especially that you pay more for the name and less for the product.

I found a really sick Lenovo for 1200, but the problem is it only comes with the manufacturers warranty and there is no way to get an extended warranty on it. its a dual core, 2.4 GHZ processor, with a ******** of memory and such. But the damn thing is ugly as hell.
                                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                                The APS is strong in this one.
                                Originally posted by killxswitch
                                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information