Thinking about buying a new laptop...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
    I found a really sick Lenovo for 1200, but the problem is it only comes with the manufacturers warranty and there is no way to get an extended warranty on it. its a dual core, 2.4 GHZ processor, with a ******** of memory and such. But the damn thing is ugly as hell.
    i always saw lenovo as a very pricey brand but they're having a sale right now and i'm really tempted to get one. i really wanna wait until companies start offering a free windows 7 upgrade though. apparently after june 26, best buy will offer it.

Comment

There are a number of Quad core notebooks out there in the market. They're all just pretty massive. I mean there's some core Core I7 notebooks aswell, but those will cost a pretty penny.

And as for the Lenovo Thinkpads, I love the look of it. Simple and effective.

Comment

Also, Option B is I get my ****** HP Laptop fixed again, and just use it for class, and then buy a desktop computer, which I hear are far better then laptops.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Also, Option B is I get my ****** HP Laptop fixed again, and just use it for class, and then buy a desktop computer, which I hear are far better then laptops.
          What is wrong with the laptop?? how much would it cost??

depending, I would go with Option B. For sure. Desktops are supreme.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Id go with Mac first and Sony Vaio second

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
              There are a number of Quad core notebooks out there in the market. They're all just pretty massive. I mean there's some core Core I7 notebooks aswell, but those will cost a pretty penny.

And as for the Lenovo Thinkpads, I love the look of it. Simple and effective.
              I use a Lenovo Thinkpad. My brother owns two. They are excellent in my mind. They are durable, simple and do the job. I've seen a lot my friends who have their monitor look as it will disconnect because it is so flimsy. The T42 I have is Solid as a ROCK.

/Picture of Bluth Homes, Solid as a Rock.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

How can you suggest a quad core laptop to a guy who just uses his computer for internet, papers, and watching movies?

You have alot of very cheap options.

I dont know much about these things but you can purchase Netbooks. Basically computers that run for the web and simple word processing things. They range from 200 bucks to 1000 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...&name=Netbooks

Just a note these thinks are swank...they have small screens...only like 9 inches....but they are cheap as all get out....if thats all your looking for.

Comment

i'm about to get a lenovo ideapad. the specs just seem better.. more RAM and hard drive space.

which is better?..

1. 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
                  4GB RAM
                  320 GB Hard Drive
                  $700

2. 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
                  3GB RAM
                  320 GB Hard Drive
                  $720

Comment

I'd say option 1 is the best way to go. The little speed increase the CPU won't be that noticeable, while 4GB of ram has pretty much become standard the past year. Are you looking at the U330, because I've been eying that one aswell.

Comment

which is the first one? I really like those specs...can you link me?
                      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

1. is the y550 and 2. is the y530

portability isn't a big issue for me so i wanted a big screen. the u series looks great too.

Comment

which is the first one? I really like those specs...can you link me?
                          private messaged.

Comment

Originally posted by thefalconer View Post
                            i was favoring the slightly more pricey hp but wanna know why some of you guys dislike it.
                            I dislike HP/Compaq due to the customer service. If you do buy, I seriously hope you never have to call them. Their support system is horrid, if you ever have to send them your computer expect it do be ~2-3 weeks for repair time. Plus they "tattoo" some parts so if you replace it you will get a "CODE PURPLE" which the only way to fix it so send it to HP/Compaq so they can retattoo or to install a new OS. This "tattoo" basically links the OS with the original parts of the computer [motherboard mainly] and if the "tattoo" isn't the same then the OS won't boot. You'll be at CODE PURPLE!

If you do decide to go that route, it would be best to buy all the necessary parts and ensemble yourself. It's not hard at all, and it's very basic, connect this with this, ground yourself [touch metal before touching the part]. Building a computer is very easy. By building it yourself you should be able to a) get a better PC for the money or b) save money for a PC with the same specs a name brand carrier would be offering. Plus many parts come with lifetime warranties, my GPU and RAM both did. If you think you can build it I can look over TigerDirect for parts and try to make a few recommendations.

Originally posted by thefalconer View Post
                            i'm about to get a lenovo ideapad. the specs just seem better.. more RAM and hard drive space.

which is better?..

1. 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
                            4GB RAM
                            320 GB Hard Drive
                            $700

2. 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
                            3GB RAM
                            320 GB Hard Drive
                            $720
                            Option 1 is better spec wise. You can easily overclock your processor to gain the .13 GHZ that option 2 has without any harm to the processor at all, you have another GB of memory and you save $20.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

Newegg is great in the states, but APS is from Terrence and Phillip land. TigerDirect.ca is going to be his best choice.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

I might actually buy that laptop falconer said, the Lenovo ideapad. I really like it. It isnt as clunky as the regular Lenovos, but still has the reliability and also they have great customer service.

And yes, HP has absolutely atrocious customer service.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information