Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
    Yeah, you can try reducing first. It may not work tho depending on your body type. If you do decided to go keto, I have done it a number of times so just ask me for some advice and I will be happy to help.
    Will do, thanks man.

Comment

• Box squats = rape to hamstrings and butt.

I tried them today because it focuses on the posterior chain, also because its impossible to cheat on them and I always end up cheating a little with regular squats. They will really work your ass

Comment

If you are doing a true keto diet, its pretty much 0 carb with no wiggle room. You must be under 20 g carbs per day for it to work. You can eat pretty much unlimited bacon, steak, other fatty meats, cheese and eggs tho. It worked for me when I needed to make weight and works for all the fighters I know. A lot of them just stick to it full time (altho they keep carbs at around 35 or 40 when they arent cutting) and all of their tests are fine (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.) despite like 2 lbs of fatty meat, 1/2 lb. of cheese and at least 12 eggs a day.
        I have to admit, upon reading up on the keto diet, that sounds crazy. I've been told about cutting carbs to force the body to burn fat. I guess I'll try it.

Brent, your lifts shouldnt really change. Any good weight lifting plan, for any goals, will include bench, squat, and deadlift. Keep doing them and do them heavy (if you didn't do them, probably incorporate them). If you want to get smaller, just eat less and do cardio (if you want a cardio weight lifting routine, try complexes......I introduced the forum members here to them a while ago and everyone seems to love them). You dont have sacrifice all the strength gains you have made in cutting a little bulk as long as you keep lifting heavy....you wont get bigger just through lifting, the food intake has to be there for you to grow. Cut out some calories, step up the cardio, keep lifting heavy and you have a good chance to lose some weight while keeping most of the strength you have gained.
        1) what are complexes? (those sound really familiar)
        2) and, really, burning fat isnt something I need, I can't cut much more without it being either water weight or muscle mass. Are you saying that the lower carb intake will begin to reduce my muscle mass?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I've been getting into squat jumps using a pool. I've been doing anywhere from 160-200 jumps. Water dumbbells also make it a lot harder to get a good jump (80-100 reps with 80-100 without WD). Good for your balance too.

Comment

• Lately I've cut soda from diet, cereal and sweets too and i've seen a huge change in how my body is functioning. I've cut 10 pounds and i look extremely cut. Toast with peanut butter has been my breakfast before workouts and eggs after and i'm loving the results.

Comment

• I've made a few changes in my diet, but I still eat like a horse and eat good as well. But with this 'get cut' workout I have going (5/7 days a week), I'm getting very good results. Basically my 'diet' is:

- No/ very little dairy (Almond Milk as a substitute for skim)
              - Snacks are 90% fruits (blueberries, grapes, bananas) and sandwich meats (roast beef, ham, turkey). Also eggs (2 egg whites, 2 large eggs)
              - Multi-grain carbs in the morning, white bread is allowed after a workout, little carbs past mid-day
              - Shake for breakfast and after workout (1 scoop of protein breakfast, 23g, 2 scoops for lunch, around 40g; blueberries or banana; pack of oatmeal)

Those are the main things. I eat constantly, but it's working thus far. I've cut a few pounds, but I'm getting much more defined and feel much healthier as well.
              Virginia Tech.
              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• i'm looking to cut fat on my chest. trying to lose my tummy and tighten up my pecs. advice? I'm starting to try and eat healthier mainly with less snacks and just eating less in general. i'm considering trying to bulk up a bit, but that'll mainly come with some lifting. but general advice to lose/tighten my stomach would be great. 6 pack is the goal...not sure by when, but eventually, a 6 pack or something to the essence would be nice.
                We ALL bleed scarlet
                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Interval cardio. Sprint, walk, sprint, etc.. Will cut fat very fast.

Also, drink tons of water, speeds up the process, and eat throughout the day to keep your metabolism running.
                  Virginia Tech.
                  ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by KobeBryant833 View Post
                    Lately I've cut soda from diet, cereal and sweets too and i've seen a huge change in how my body is functioning. I've cut 10 pounds and i look extremely cut. Toast with peanut butter has been my breakfast before workouts and eggs after and i'm loving the results.
                    Cutting soda from your diet is one of the best things you can do to lose weight. So much unneccesary calories and sugar....ugh. It's disgusting.

Comment

• So been working out for a month, amazing how quick you get back to previous levels after long layoffs...

Due to blown out knee all I've been able to do is upper body but I'm up to 230 now on my 3x8 bench sets... not long to get back to my peak back when I was working out regularly... Never thought I would miss cardio but there is genuine truth in you don't miss it until you can't do it anymore...

Least I get the reco in the next couple of months! Then the lovely 10 month rehab path begins.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Brent, give this a read regarding complexes: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...edded_physique

I recommend using the "Evil 8" with around a 95 lb. bar (at the absolute most to start imo) if you consider yourself fit

With regards to keto: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/ze...emain-1196334/

Give that a read.....tons of great info from insanely knowledgeable people answering an abundance of questions.
                        When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Brent, give this a read regarding complexes: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...edded_physique

I recommend using the "Evil 8" with around a 95 lb. bar (at the absolute most to start imo) if you consider yourself fit

With regards to keto: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/ze...emain-1196334/

Give that a read.....tons of great info from insanely knowledgeable people answering an abundance of questions.
                          I'll check out that workout routine later (I bookmarked it), and see if I like it. I partially torn my subscapularis muscle about 3 weeks ago and have been rehabbing it, so I haven't worked out over that time (which is killing me).

What I gather from that forum you linked is something I was doing in college: cut out carbs from my diet. I eat a pretty low-carb diet to begin with, so I guess I'll just have to cut even more. I think I am at about 80g of carbs a day, so I'll shoot for sub-50g and see how that turns out.

These are open to any of you, so all answers will be appreciated:
                          1) Any one have a low-carb alternative to bread? I've seen those "low-carb/sugar free" breads at the store but never tried them.

2) Also, I read somewhere that for ever 1g of fiber you take in, it cancels out a carb. Is BS or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                            I'll check out that workout routine later (I bookmarked it), and see if I like it. I partially torn my subscapularis muscle about 3 weeks ago and have been rehabbing it, so I haven't worked out over that time (which is killing me).

What I gather from that forum you linked is something I was doing in college: cut out carbs from my diet. I eat a pretty low-carb diet to begin with, so I guess I'll just have to cut even more. I think I am at about 80g of carbs a day, so I'll shoot for sub-50g and see how that turns out.

These are open to any of you, so all answers will be appreciated:
                            1) Any one have a low-carb alternative to bread? I've seen those "low-carb/sugar free" breads at the store but never tried them.

2) Also, I read somewhere that for ever 1g of fiber you take in, it cancels out a carb. Is BS or not?
                            Your carb count is already fairly low. I wouldn't reccomend taking it that low unless you are cutting for a bodybuilding competition.
                            Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
                              Your carb count is already fairly low. I wouldn't reccomend taking it that low unless you are cutting for a bodybuilding competition.
                              Well, I want to cut as much as possible because I have a little body fat that I've been unable to cut for years. This is more of a personal challenge. Also, I want to lose muscle mass, not just fat. I've bulked up more than I'd like.

Comment

• 1) Any one have a low-carb alternative to bread? I've seen those "low-carb/sugar free" breads at the store but never tried them.
                                Some, but not all, wraps would qualify as this. Basically with breads and their alternatives it's a case by case thing and you really need to read the label to be sure.

As for part 2... no idea, I can't say I've ever heard that exact saying but I do know that fiber by the nature of pushing things through the body faster will probably cause the body to use less of the slow break down carbs that you eat. It is certainly good stuff for you though and will most likely help with weight loss as it helps make the body as efficient as possible in dealing with waste.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information