Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
    Prove a sport that is more mentally and physically challenging
    HOCKEY???

They are always going full speed and play in pain and busted jaws.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
      Sports that are harder than long-distance training.

Hockey, football, basketball, baseball, sprinting, golfing, tennis, badminton, swimming, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting. You run. Whoop de ******* do. Every sport involves some type of running.
      Exactly this is coming from a guy who probably cant run around his block without having to walk. Tell me what do athletes usually dread most? It is running. In soccer everyone bitched an moaned to find a way out of the warm up laps before practice. Athletes hate running sprints. You know why? Cause running is ******* hard and it hurts. There is nothing forgiving about it. Lance Armstrong is even proof he said marathoning is harder than anything he has ever done.
      Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Exactly this is coming from a guy who probably cant run around his block without having to walk. Tell me what do athletes usually dread most? It is running. In soccer everyone bitched an moaned to find a way out of the warm up laps before practice. Athletes hate running sprints. You know why? Cause running is ******* hard and it hurts. There is nothing forgiving about it. Lance Armstrong is even proof he said marathoning is harder than anything he has ever done.
        People hate it because it's ******* boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
          HOCKEY???

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
            People hate it because it's ******* boring.
            Seriously I hate running even for workouts...but when playing football I Fuking LOVE IT. I love running with the ball in my hand or running after someone to tackle them ...or at them.

Comment

Seriously I hate running even for workouts...but when playing football I Fuking LOVE IT. I love running with the ball in my hand or running after someone to tackle them ...or at them.
              Well, that's different running. Running for miles and miles is ******* boring.

Comment

• Boxing or MMA is harder than anything else you can do. You have to run LSD, you have to sprint with variety, you have to train 2 times a day, and most importantly you have to ******* fight.
                Last edited by Rob S; 07-09-2010, 10:23 PM.
                When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

HOCKEY???

Are these guys out there every day? No they pretty much spend 3 months in the off season partying and getting far away from hockey. Most high level distance runners maybe have a month off the entire year. There is a lot more to it than just game day.

The top level guys run 7 days a week around 120-140 miles. Sometimes running twice a day everyday except for christmas. There are no breaks during training. Running takes every ounce of strength an testicular fortitude you have. Look at people after faces after a race the pure exhaustion whens the last time you saw that from a football player or a hockey player? Running on a treadmill is boring. I guarantee if you go out and run you will get tired an go home with your tail between your legs before you get bored. It hurts an you can handle the pain i get it you are wimpy. In no other sport can you push your body to the absolute limit. An all these guys do it for what? Kenyans do it so they have a future. In america? The glory is mostly internal. THey don't get paid a lot or live some glamorous life
                  Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Are these guys out there every day? No they pretty much spend 3 months in the off season partying and getting far away from hockey. Most high level distance runners maybe have a month off the entire year. There is a lot more to it than just game day.

The top level guys run 7 days a week around 120-140 miles. Sometimes running twice a day everyday except for christmas. There are no breaks during training. Running takes every ounce of strength an testicular fortitude you have. Look at people after faces after a race the pure exhaustion whens the last time you saw that from a football player or a hockey player? Running on a treadmill is boring. I guarantee if you go out and run you will get tired an go home with your tail between your legs before you get bored. It hurts an you can handle the pain i get it you are wimpy. In no other sport can you push your body to the absolute limit. An all these guys do it for what? Kenyans do it so they have a future. In america? The glory is mostly internal. THey don't get paid a lot or live some glamorous life
                    Clearly you know nothing about hockey. They spent also maybe a month away from the rink or working out in the year, if they're lucky.

Lacrosse is about three times as hard as LDR. Box or field.

Comment

Prove a sport that is more mentally and physically challenging
                      this is a battle you will lose on this board. there are too many northerners/canadians.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• so i did hiit for the first time tonight and it raped me in the ass with a baseball bat. i felt light headed and thought i was gonna pass out.

Comment

• LDR is just work and training. It is not a "tough" sport in that it tests anything but fitness, both mental and physical.

It certainly isn't the hardest sport, anyone can do LDR, literally anyone that has the physical ability to run, some will be far better but if you can run you can do it. Other sports require skills and a willingness to get smashed.

I would say the hardest sports out there from the toll they will take on you would be the following.

I think the thing worth noting with my entire list is that LDR is a part of the training as in you take the LDR and then build on it. It's hard to say it's the toughest when other sports are using it as a part of training because it is a "better" way of simulating more dangerous conditions.

The toughest sports I can think of would be the following...

1. Boxing/MMA - Need the fitness of a LDR, the strength of a footballer and the willingness to get hit in the face. Basically the ultimate gut check of a sport(s).

2. Aussie Rules Football - Again.. you need the fitness of a LDR and then you have to have the skills, the mental strength and the toughness to get hit. I rack up a good 15-20km on average in a game. I can tell you now that a 20km run is FAR easier than a game of aussie rules. Aussie rules is the toughest sport from a testing your body point of view that I've done, it's basically contact LDR with skill...

3. Rugby - This sport falls halfway between Aussie Rules and American Football. You get hit harder in Rugby than in Aussie Rules but not nearly as hard as in American football. You need to be a fair bit fitter though because there is no resting compared to American Football. Again, you need to be able to run all day.

4. American Football - A totally different kind of fitness and toughness is needed. You get hit harder than any sport I've played and you get hit every play. Aerobically it is not a challenge at all but it is incredibly physically demanding.

Other sports like basketball, soccer, hockey(field) and cricket which I have done are not on the same level. The key element is the physical impact, it takes way more out of you than running.

The toughest training drill I've ever done is in Aussie Rules, it is a one on one contest for a ball, repeated for about a minute. If you do that a couple of times you will be far more tired than if you ran 3km.

Not saying running is not tough, it takes great mental concentration to keep doing something that quite simply is "boring" and does start to hurt, but there is a massive reason that all these other sports play one game a week and have days of training and runners can compete all year and train 7 days a week, it just isn't nearly as demanding on the body.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Wrestling is probably the most physically demanding sport. At least in MMA you can pull guard and try to survive.
                            Peyton Manning Fanboy
                            Originally posted by Complex
                            They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
                              Wrestling is probably the most physically demanding sport. At least in MMA you can pull guard and try to survive.
                              pull guard while a dude is socking you in the ribs and temple?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                                pull guard while a dude is socking you in the ribs and temple?
                                Honestly if i was dead tired i would. Just need to try to keep him close to you so that it prevents him from getting leverage on his punches. Some people enjoy getting hit.

"Fatigue makes cowards of us all."
                                Peyton Manning Fanboy
                                Originally posted by Complex
                                They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information