Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
    LDR is just work and training. It is not a "tough" sport in that it tests anything but fitness, both mental and physical.

It certainly isn't the hardest sport, anyone can do LDR, literally anyone that has the physical ability to run, some will be far better but if you can run you can do it. Other sports require skills and a willingness to get smashed.

I would say the hardest sports out there from the toll they will take on you would be the following.

I think the thing worth noting with my entire list is that LDR is a part of the training as in you take the LDR and then build on it. It's hard to say it's the toughest when other sports are using it as a part of training because it is a "better" way of simulating more dangerous conditions.

The toughest sports I can think of would be the following...

1. Boxing/MMA - Need the fitness of a LDR, the strength of a footballer and the willingness to get hit in the face. Basically the ultimate gut check of a sport(s).

2. Aussie Rules Football - Again.. you need the fitness of a LDR and then you have to have the skills, the mental strength and the toughness to get hit. I rack up a good 15-20km on average in a game. I can tell you now that a 20km run is FAR easier than a game of aussie rules. Aussie rules is the toughest sport from a testing your body point of view that I've done, it's basically contact LDR with skill...

3. Rugby - This sport falls halfway between Aussie Rules and American Football. You get hit harder in Rugby than in Aussie Rules but not nearly as hard as in American football. You need to be a fair bit fitter though because there is no resting compared to American Football. Again, you need to be able to run all day.

4. American Football - A totally different kind of fitness and toughness is needed. You get hit harder than any sport I've played and you get hit every play. Aerobically it is not a challenge at all but it is incredibly physically demanding.

Other sports like basketball, soccer, hockey(field) and cricket which I have done are not on the same level. The key element is the physical impact, it takes way more out of you than running.

The toughest training drill I've ever done is in Aussie Rules, it is a one on one contest for a ball, repeated for about a minute. If you do that a couple of times you will be far more tired than if you ran 3km.

Not saying running is not tough, it takes great mental concentration to keep doing something that quite simply is "boring" and does start to hurt, but there is a massive reason that all these other sports play one game a week and have days of training and runners can compete all year and train 7 days a week, it just isn't nearly as demanding on the body.
    You are drowning in a pool of your own ignorance. Professional marathoners do maybe one marathon a month. Pro distance runners race 1-2 times a month during the summer they do not have a loaded schedule. Sprinters can recover quicker but they still do not race as much as you would want to believe. There is a difference between jogging, which is what most of your above athletes do and actually running. They are as different as golf and frolf. Running 120 miles in a week is incredibly demanding. Do the math 120 miles averages out to 17 miles per day. Run at say an average of 6 minute pace that putting your body out there every morning for 1:42 minutes. Never the less they dont do that it is mixed up daily. Long distance running is not going out there and ***** footing around. Look at a persons face after a marathon it is pure agony. If running is such a big part of these guys training id like to see them get out there to run a marathon an see if they really have the conditioning for it
    Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

• Originally posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
      Honestly if i was dead tired i would. Just need to try to keep him close to you so that it prevents him from getting leverage on his punches. Some people enjoy getting hit.

"Fatigue makes cowards of us all."
      In wrestling your not getting punched or elbowed tho. Plus, wrestling will end with a pin. The guy will be gunning to knock you out in MMA.

Whatever, tho. This is a relatively pointless debate.
      When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
        Are these guys out there every day? No they pretty much spend 3 months in the off season partying and getting far away from hockey. Most high level distance runners maybe have a month off the entire year. There is a lot more to it than just game day.
        That may have been a North American hockey player's life back around 50 years ago. Play hard for a few months, then kick back and drink beers during the offseason, and use training camp to get in shape.

Once European players began to get into the NHL, that changed drastically. The Europeans would work hard during the offseason to improve, and pushed the North Americans to do the same.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all the professional athletes were working out full time, all year (barring up to a month off after the season ended). It takes time to get to peak performance and maintaining that level is a lot easier.

Btw, at field hockey not being tough...Try blocking a hard shot with that ball from a few feet out, and outfielders don't wear pads at all. I've lost count of how many times I've had to ice my knees after getting them whacked.

Comment

• out of HS sports its wrestling and swimming.

MMA/Boxer is harder then both.

Also water polo isnt gettin enough props. treading water non stop, in many other sports you can slack a little, in water polo if you slack you drown.

Comment

• You guys who think long distance running is easy are out of your mind, its very tough. Every sport can be tough to do.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

How many days a week you think Usain Bolt, Tyson *** or Asafa Powell take off? They are exposed to much much harder an stringent training regiments. Incorporating down weeks/ recovery weeks will give him the rest his muscles need. Proper periodization with progressive overload and the right stimulus will lead to max growth.
              Ya I'm only 19 so i have tons of energy and i leave to play college football in less than a month so i figure i mine as well go as hard as i can to be in the best shape when i arrive there and hopefully impress the coaches.

Comment

Its why i'll always believe LDR are the toughest athletes and is the hardest sport out there.
                Swimming for an hour is 1000x times hard than running for an hour.
                **** her in da *****!

Comment

• Originally posted by KobeBryant833 View Post
                  Ya I'm only 19 so i have tons of energy and i leave to play college football in less than a month so i figure i mine as well go as hard as i can to be in the best shape when i arrive there and hopefully impress the coaches.
                  Nah, definitely take a day off. It's not about energy, it's letting your body repair.

I was the same way, but now I'm working out 5/7 days a week and I'm getting much better results.
                  Virginia Tech.
                  ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                    You guys who think long distance running is easy are out of your mind, its very tough. Every sport can be tough to do.
                    I've always had a much easier time with sprints. As long as you limit your resting time, sprints can do a good job for conditioning.

Comment

• You know those days when you are lifting and you just arent feeling it. Like you have lifted more at a certain exercise yet you are struggling to do more weight then your max. They suck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                        You know those days when you are lifting and you just arent feeling it. Like you have lifted more at a certain exercise yet you are struggling to do more weight then your max. They suck.
                        Take a pre workout on those days. They will get you amped to lift

Comment

• Sumo deads today........1st real test for my knee
                          When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Yo Rob are you on any specific program? or are you just free lanceing it while you see how your knee feels?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                              You know those days when you are lifting and you just arent feeling it. Like you have lifted more at a certain exercise yet you are struggling to do more weight then your max. They suck.
                              I always have those since a lot of times I have to workout after work sometimes as late as 1:00 am since my gym is 24 hours. The other day I was really hitting a block. I was struggling doing my normal 10 rep 225 sets. It was pretty scary after I finished I kind of realize that I was half asleep. I couldn't even remember doing the reps. Haha scary stuff and not safe at all.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• sprained my my right wrist. Now both of them are useless, still going strong!!

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                                02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                                Originally posted by fenikz
                                we all hate you

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information