Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Sniper View Post
    Jump rope is TEH SEX. I used to do a minute of intense jump rope and a superset of two different exercises as one set. So, for example,

    1 minute of jump rope.
    Immediately do a set of squats.
    Immediately do an ab exercise.

    Rest two minutes. 'Twas lethal.

    How many times did you repeat this?

    Comment


    • Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone in here could give me some advice since there seem to be quite a few who know what they're doing.

      I'll be finishing an intense several month period of exams/revision soon, and have been pretty much completely physically inactive, and I want to get into good shape before the new college year starts in mid september, because I'll be playing rugby and american football again, and right now my cardio is just not where it needs to be. If knowing my body type helps, I'm about 6'4, currently around 225-230 - I can easily hold more when I convert to muscle, but right now obviously that isn't lean weight.

      I haven't really had a regular work out routine since I left high school a few years ago, and was basically hoping to kind of shock my body back into it over the next month and a half, so I have a good start on a realistic routine I can keep up during the year. When training and games start I'll only be aiming for one or two trips to the gym a week max, but for the next 6-7 weeks I'm really up for just getting fitter and stronger in every way.

      Massive ramble, sorry about that. I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice, however vague. Thanks.



      "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

      Comment


      • Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
        Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone in here could give me some advice since there seem to be quite a few who know what they're doing.

        I'll be finishing an intense several month period of exams/revision soon, and have been pretty much completely physically inactive, and I want to get into good shape before the new college year starts in mid september, because I'll be playing rugby and american football again, and right now my cardio is just not where it needs to be. If knowing my body type helps, I'm about 6'4, currently around 225-230 - I can easily hold more when I convert to muscle, but right now obviously that isn't lean weight.

        I haven't really had a regular work out routine since I left high school a few years ago, and was basically hoping to kind of shock my body back into it over the next month and a half, so I have a good start on a realistic routine I can keep up during the year. When training and games start I'll only be aiming for one or two trips to the gym a week max, but for the next 6-7 weeks I'm really up for just getting fitter and stronger in every way.

        Massive ramble, sorry about that. I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice, however vague. Thanks.
        I assume you have lifted before, as such I would run either the Wendler 5-3-1 or Rip's 5x5 method. A quick google search should lead you where you need to go. If not, ask me. They will take either 3 or 4 days a weeks, do some HIIT on non-lifting days (400m sprints are awesome if your cardio is there) and give yourself 1 day for rest. If you feel good after lifting, you can throw in some LSD, just make sure you take some protein/carbs before you start or you will miss the window.
        When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

        Comment


        • If you select 5x5 do the original one with power cleans. Whoever made the 5x5(his name is slipping me at the moment) had power cleans instead of deadlift. It was a workout specifically designed for football.


          http://xtort.net/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/

          Comment


          • Oh wow, I've just had a look at those and they look very similar to the workout one of our OLB/TEs does, and he's one of the two strongest guys on the team, at about 6'1 200. I actually went with him one day and he uses this low-bar technique on his squats that I'd never seen before - have you heard of it? He says it means you can eventually do weights that your back couldn't handle using the normal high bar method.



            "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Rob S View Post
              I assume you have lifted before, as such I would run either the Wendler 5-3-1 or Rip's 5x5 method. A quick google search should lead you where you need to go. If not, ask me. They will take either 3 or 4 days a weeks, do some HIIT on non-lifting days (400m sprints are awesome if your cardio is there) and give yourself 1 day for rest. If you feel good after lifting, you can throw in some LSD, just make sure you take some protein/carbs before you start or you will miss the window.
              Also if you have any good HIIT routines someone can do in a park or something that you could send my way that would be amazing, thank you.



              "Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

              Comment


              • http://stronglifts.com/correct-bar-placement-on-squats/

                Comment


                • Plunging a toilet. Phenomenal exercise.

                  Comment


                  • Just ran 2.5 miles in 25:17. I have lost 15 lbs so far this summer and can now run 1 mile in under 8 minutes. My goal is 220 lbs. by Oct. 1st. I am about 235 right now.

                    Comment


                    • Just maxed 235 on bench the other day. I weigh 160 lbs too.

                      Comment


                      • Bench has always been my worst exercise. I just got up my weight for my 3 rep max the other day.

                        Comment


                        • I have strength on bench, just not stamina. I can max 235. Almost threw up 245. Got half way up but couldn't lock it out. Yet I still struggle to rep 185 six times.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                            Bench has always been my worst exercise. I just got up my weight for my 3 rep max the other day.
                            Pyramids are your friend.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                              Pyramids are your friend.
                              Pyramids do kick ass.

                              I just started doing them on the bench 2 weeks ago and my max jumped from 245 to 260 already. And now I can do 245 twice. I weigh 175.

                              I've been doing: 135, 155, 185, 205, 225, 245, 260, 225, 205, 185, 155, 135, then the bar 60 times. ******* killer.

                              Comment


                              • who many times a week do you do them?

                                Sig by: BK

                                02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                                02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                                Originally posted by fenikz
                                we all hate you

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information