Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Nalej View Post
    I do. I'm constantly trying new ones just to compare.
    The one that worked the best for me was Animal Pump. (Pills is a plus for me since I think all the shakes taste like ****)
    Super Pump... was okay but I re-named it SuperDump since I had to take a dump prior to the workout. Got annoying.
    I'm taking Body Rush now. Doesn't taste terrible and definitely gets me amped up. I'm a fan of it.
    Actually, everybody I've talked to calls it SuperDump for the exact same reason.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
      1. I always do a brief cardio warm up before I lift and do my main cardio afterwords with a long, slow cool-down. It helps circulate that lactic acid and ADP so that you are not as sore the next day.

      2. What does your leg workout routine consist of?
      I workout legs once a week with one week being light and the next being heavy.

      My light day is an absolute killer, an anaerobic/plyometric natural disaster that I absolutely dread... and love... at the same time.

      I start with a light squat (I prefer Smith Machine... you'll see why in a sec) of 135. If I feel good enough I make it a jump squat. The next set I move up to 225 and whether I feel good or not, I make it a set of jump squats. My goal with jump squats is to do only 8... if I can do more then I wasn't jumping high enough... so 8 good ones.

      The rest of the main part of the workout are supersets, designed to fatigue the largest and most muscles of the legs first and then breaking down the individual muscles one-by-one.

      First I stay with the same weight and do jump squats again. Then I go straight to stiff-legged deadlifts and do a set with explosive movement on the positive with being slower and more controlled on the negative. Then I go straight to leg extensions, explosive on the way out, slower on the way back. Then I go straight to hamstring curls... the target rep range for all sets is 8... and if you can do more than 8, then you aren't doing it hard enough. Then I go back to the floor and do 8 leaps. You really have to know how to do the leaps to get the most out of them. To do a leap you have to start very low, low enough so if you put your arms down you COULD touch the floor, then you explode up, jumping as high as you can and when at the uppermost height of the jump, you snap your knees up (hip flexors) to your chest, and then when you land, you land on your toes as lightly as possible... you should barely be able to hear yourself land, then you do it again and again, until you've reached 8.

      The light sets consist of:
      Jump squat
      stiff legged deadlift
      extensions
      curls
      explosive leaps

      I do 3-5 sets of this superset.

      Then, I do something called sprinter step-ups where you stand on the end of a bench, get in a near starting stance and then pull yourself up using only/mostly your plant leg and finishing with your trail leg at its highest peak with your knee flexed. I do 12 reps for each leg, 3-5 sets.

      Then I follow up with weighted explosive leaps. I'll do my first set without handweights, but then as I continue on I'll add 10 lb dumbells, then 15, and sometimes up to 25 or so... with one minute rest between sets. I'll do 3-7 sets.

      And if I'm still feeling good I'll consider doing forward reverse drills in the gym where I begin in starter's stance, sprint about 5-7 yards, staying low I touch a line on the floor, reverse direction and backpedal to the start where I breakdown and touch the floor and go again. I do this 5X with the 5th time sprinting through the line.



      My heavy day is far more conventional and far less taxing.

      I do squats-usually some jump squats at the lighter weights, then I may go up as high as my 3 rep max and do 5-9 sets.

      Then I do stiff-legged deads, sometimes up to my 4-5 rep max, 5-9 sets.

      I might do deadlifts, sometimes up to my 1 rep max, 5-9 sets.

      Then I do curls, extensions, and usually end with the leaps. It is a very good thing to end with a plyo-type movement, especially on heavy day, because lifting heavy weights trains your body to be slow. You heavy weights slow, and your body will be trained to be slow. Anyway, I look forward to heavy day much more so than light.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
        I train with a professional body building coach, and this is what he has me doing for my legs right now. He switches it up every 2 weeks and I do something different.


        Day 1

        A1./ Squat 4 @ 6-8 (31*0): 1.5 min

        B1./ RDL 3 @ 8-10: 1.5 min SS
        B2./ Split Squat (3120) 2 @ 8-10

        C1./ Step Up 2 @ 10-15: 1 min

        D1./ Leg Extensions 2 @ 10-15: 1 min


        Day 2

        A1./ Deadlift or Trap Bar Deadlift 3 @ 6-8: 1.5 min AS
        or Leg Curls

        B1./ Bulgarian Split Squat (31*0) 2 @ 8-10: 1.5 SS
        B2./ Leg Curl or Split Squat (Holds) 2 @ 8-10

        C1./ Reverse Lunge 2 @ 10-15 per leg: 1 min

        D1./ TKE (3120) 2 @ 10-15 per leg: 1 min
        You should post the full plan he has you on if you ever get the time. I'd like to take a look at it.

        What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
        they get smoked.

        2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
        Hint:Not the Bears.

        Comment


        • Isn't that WS4SB? Looks really similar except no box jumps, dynamic day.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
            You should post the full plan he has you on if you ever get the time. I'd like to take a look at it.
            Alright no problem I'll type it all out. I'll let you know what some of the things mean if you're unsure.

            Last edited by Bosanac01; 02-27-2013, 11:21 PM.

            Sig by: BK

            02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
            02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
            02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
            02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
            Originally posted by fenikz
            we all hate you

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
              Isn't that WS4SB? Looks really similar except no box jumps, dynamic day.
              I have no idea what that is actually. I don't look stuff up like that, I just take advice from people I meet.

              Sig by: BK

              02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
              02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
              02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
              02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
              Originally posted by fenikz
              we all hate you

              Comment


              • Alright, just switched to a new diet and workout.

                3,000-3,200 calories a day. About 24% fat, 47% Carb, 27% Protein.

                The workout is "Steve's 4 Day Power Muscle Burn" from Muscleandstrength.com. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...out-split.html

                Only changes I'm making is running 3 miles twice a week and doing abs twice a week, same days I run.

                Did the chest and biceps today and fuuuuuuuuck. It wore me out. Felt really good, could definitely feel it hitting the muscle groups and my chest was shaking by the end of the burn phase.. ditto for biceps. I wasn't thrilled with the side-hammer curl as I don't get a good feel with it and may switch it up to something else.. otherwise it was money.

                Need to pick up some weight gloves, though, cuz it was rough on my wrists.

                Let you guys know how it goes. I'm at 172 and 12% body fat on an empty stomach at the moment.


                When being a fanboi goes too far.

                Comment


                • I've lost 20 lbs since I started running (most of that was in the first two weeks, since then I've lost only 4 lbs), but I really hadn't noticed much change in the last two weeks, in terms of losing my gut. The past two week s it seems my body has naturally gone into the muscle building and defining and away some from the fat burning, despite ramping up my cardio/running. My diet didn't change, if anything I've been eating and drinking more healthy in the last two weeks, so does anybody have any advice on more excersizes I could do to help lose the fat faster? I'm still losing the extra stuff on my stomach, as well as becoming more defined in my arms and legs, but I'm just looking for ways to speed up my fat burn. I just started doing another 20-25 minutes of ab workouts at home every day (in addition to a full ab workout daily at the gym) two days ago , so I really don't think there's much more I could do. Outside of replacing that ab work with more running, what could I do to speed it up?
                  Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

                  Rest in Peace, themaninblack

                  Comment


                  • It's a pretty simple formula. People get all wrapped around the axle and scientific about weight loss, but really what you have to do is take in fewer calories than you're burning. Pay attention to what you're eating and the portion size. When you're running monitor you're heart rate, assuming that you're in you're early/mid 20's your target heart rate for fat burning is going to be around 130-40 bpm. The trick is that you have to keep your heart rate there for a long time. The first 30 minutes of maintaining your target heart rate will only net you about -50 to -100 calories from fat depending on how efficient your body is. Assuming you're taking in about 2000 calories a day, like the average American (which is WAY more than the average person needs), you have to spend a couple hours in the gym a day. You're body burns about 1000 calories a day just existing, which leaves another 1000 to deal with. When I ran my marathon, I burned about 3000 calories to give you an idea of how long it takes to burn them off. Add in some more low impact, intensity exercises (eliptical, bike, stair climber..etc) The bottom line is that it's all about what you put in your mouth, and how you burn it off.

                    sig by BoneKrusher

                    PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                      It's a pretty simple formula. People get all wrapped around the axle and scientific about weight loss, but really what you have to do is take in fewer calories than you're burning. Pay attention to what you're eating and the portion size. When you're running monitor you're heart rate, assuming that you're in you're early/mid 20's your target heart rate for fat burning is going to be around 130-40 bpm. The trick is that you have to keep your heart rate there for a long time. The first 30 minutes of maintaining your target heart rate will only net you about -50 to -100 calories from fat depending on how efficient your body is. Assuming you're taking in about 2000 calories a day, like the average American (which is WAY more than the average person needs), you have to spend a couple hours in the gym a day. You're body burns about 1000 calories a day just existing, which leaves another 1000 to deal with. When I ran my marathon, I burned about 3000 calories to give you an idea of how long it takes to burn them off. Add in some more low impact, intensity exercises (eliptical, bike, stair climber..etc) The bottom line is that it's all about what you put in your mouth, and how you burn it off.
                      Yeah I know I've got to burn more than I consume, and I've been doing a good job of that, I'm just looking for other different excersizes that are good for burning fat. I am pretty good at maintaining a solid heart rate throughout my cardio excersizes keeping my heart rate at or above 135 (I'll keep it around 175 when I'm going at a faster rate) the whole time while I run, and consistently within the 160-175 range on the elliptical. This has gotten me to the point where I burn approximately 700 calories per hour of my cardio excersizes and I'll run/elliptical for about an hour to an hour and 40 minutes, depending on the day, in addition to the rest of my workout. What I'm running into right now is my body is replacing the fat with muscle, which I know is only going to make the calories burn faster, but right now I'm looking for other ways (besides more running) to burn fat. I could always jump rope or something, but I'm looking, preferably for a way to incorporate more cardio into my weight excersizes, or a wieght excersize that is designed moreso for cardio than muscle building.
                      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

                      Rest in Peace, themaninblack

                      Comment


                      • http://bodybuildingsupplementrevi.bl...s-arrived.html

                        my friends use this stuff and apparently its like God for them.

                        Sig by BK

                        “They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

                        Comment


                        • I think interval training is the best way to burn fat. And you are not going to be able to target one area, so all those abs you're doing is growing muscle under the fat. It may seem like you have a wide/bigger stomach then.

                          Marathon and long distance runners tend to be skinny with little muscle, not always the case but usually, so eventually your body will eat away at the muscle don't worry.

                          Cardio with weights, but a body weight vest and run, or do complexes, or run on a track rather than treadmill. Its easy to run in place and have the ground under you move. Try running around your neighborhood, you'll notice its harder to run consistently for 1 hr.

                          Comment


                          • I second interval training, I've lost weight pretty quickly doing this in the past. Google "HIIT", "Tabata sprints", etc.

                            Comment


                            • Not sure if this is rthe correct spot to post this, but I am going on the Master Cleanse diet. Has anyone ever done this or know anyone who has done it? thanks

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
                                Alright, just switched to a new diet and workout.

                                3,000-3,200 calories a day. About 24% fat, 47% Carb, 27% Protein.

                                The workout is "Steve's 4 Day Power Muscle Burn" from Muscleandstrength.com. http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...out-split.html

                                Only changes I'm making is running 3 miles twice a week and doing abs twice a week, same days I run.

                                Did the chest and biceps today and fuuuuuuuuck. It wore me out. Felt really good, could definitely feel it hitting the muscle groups and my chest was shaking by the end of the burn phase.. ditto for biceps. I wasn't thrilled with the side-hammer curl as I don't get a good feel with it and may switch it up to something else.. otherwise it was money.

                                Need to pick up some weight gloves, though, cuz it was rough on my wrists.

                                Let you guys know how it goes. I'm at 172 and 12% body fat on an empty stomach at the moment.
                                What are your goals? 3,000 calories+ a day is a ton unless you are putting in 2 hours+ in the gym a day plus extra exercise. If you're trying to get fat, it sounds great... besides that, those articles written and posted in bodybuilding magazines are usually garbage designed to get you to keep bying their BS magazines and products. That's why every month they have a brand new workout and diet that is guaranteed to work... even though the people pushing them have never done that workout or diet in their life... it's just different. Find something that works for you... work hard, work often, up your protein to no less than 1 gram per 1 lb. of bodyweight, find out what your basal metabolism is, log your typical calorie expenditure, track your calories, and go from there.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information