Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brasho View Post
    What are your goals? 3,000 calories+ a day is a ton unless you are putting in 2 hours+ in the gym a day plus extra exercise. If you're trying to get fat, it sounds great... besides that, those articles written and posted in bodybuilding magazines are usually garbage designed to get you to keep bying their BS magazines and products. That's why every month they have a brand new workout and diet that is guaranteed to work... even though the people pushing them have never done that workout or diet in their life... it's just different. Find something that works for you... work hard, work often, up your protein to no less than 1 gram per 1 lb. of bodyweight, find out what your basal metabolism is, log your typical calorie expenditure, track your calories, and go from there.
    I have an extremely high metabolism. If I eat less then 2,200-2,500 calories a day I LOSE weight, regardless of exercise.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Notredameleo View Post
      Not sure if this is rthe correct spot to post this, but I am going on the Master Cleanse diet. Has anyone ever done this or know anyone who has done it? thanks
      Why don't you simply try eating right? You should never embark on a diet designed to give you quick results if you can't possibly maintain that diet over a longer period. Change the way you eat... not for a week, not for a month, but permanently... change your eating habits and be healthy and fit and don't try for the quick fix. They are not permanent, are often dangerous, and will often times deprive the body of needed protein and the weight that you lose will usually be mostly water and muscle. When it comes to losing bodyfat, slow and steady is the only way to win the race.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
        I have an extremely high metabolism. If I eat less then 2,200-2,500 calories a day I LOSE weight, regardless of exercise.
        How much do you weigh? How many grams of protein are you taking in a day and when are your protein ingesting cycles?

Comment

How much do you weigh? How many grams of protein are you taking in a day and when are your protein ingesting cycles?
          I weigh around 175. 200 grams protein, I have the highest protein intake before and after exercise (40/50 respectively) and the rest spread out evenly. Aiming for 6 meals a day but that probably won't happen once I get working again.

Comment

• Even on non-training days you should be getting close to your bodyweight in grams of protein taken in. And unlike fat and carbs, there is no spare gas tank for protein.. Protein cannot be stored as protein and it is pretty much utilized by the body, stored as energy, or passed. A significant source of protein should be taken in no less than every 3 hours. If you do not take in protein every 3 hours or less, your body will pull protein from your muscles to use for normal brain function. Therefore, the first thing that should be ingested when you wake up in the morning is protein and the last thing you do before you go to bed at night is take in more protein as sleep is the longest time period you should/will ever go without protein.

Comment

I weigh around 175. 200 grams protein, I have the highest protein intake before and after exercise (40/50 respectively) and the rest spread out evenly. Aiming for 6 meals a day but that probably won't happen once I get working again.
              Honestly, unless you are on steroids and having professional bodybuilder type workouts, 50 grams of protein is too much for one sitting. I only weigh 195 but I never go over 40 grams per setting and I rarely go that high. Anytime you take in too much protein it is usually not utilized and sits around in the large intestine causing gas.

6 meals a days is pretty good, if you could get yourself 7 at 30 grams per setting then you would be set... if you are doing resistance exercise you really would not have to worry about losing muscle mass unless you are going crazy with the cardio.

Comment

I assumed you were 5'10 and 25 years old and had extremely active exercise schedule and figured your basal metabolic rate to be 1788 and your caloric expenditure per day as 2861,

If you took in 2500 calories a day over an 10 day period you would lose 1 lb of body weight based on the accepted model of 3500 calories equals one lb of bodyweight. You should have to take in no more than 2861 per day to maintain body weight... also, careful on cramming too much protein in at once, your body can't utilize it all and goes to waste.

Comment

• I just put up 110lb dumbells (flat bench)... pretty stoked about it
                  -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Honestly, unless you are on steroids and having professional bodybuilder type workouts, 50 grams of protein is too much for one sitting. I only weigh 195 but I never go over 40 grams per setting and I rarely go that high. Anytime you take in too much protein it is usually not utilized and sits around in the large intestine causing gas.

6 meals a days is pretty good, if you could get yourself 7 at 30 grams per setting then you would be set... if you are doing resistance exercise you really would not have to worry about losing muscle mass unless you are going crazy with the cardio.
                    Definitely good advice and something I've been thinking about the last couple of days (more evenly spacing protein.)

I should note that I workout at night so the 50 grams of protein was just before sleep, more or less.. but I agree, still a lot.

I think I'll try splitting up my protein shake to two servings a day and take one when I first wakeup. That should give me a pretty even split of 25ish protein per meal with slightly higher in the morning, after workout and before sleep.

My 3,000 calories includes an extra 300 calories from different things that I can't account for day by day (ie beer, coffee, etc..) so the actual diet plan is 2,700 calories including the oil used for cooking. I feel like it's a good place to start as I know from my body and how I've eaten in the past that it definitely won't cause me to gain fat but most calculators I can find put me at around 2,700-2,800 as ideal. Definitely will tweak it as I go along.

Appreciate the advice quite a bit!

Comment

• I'm 5'7 195 lbs with approximately 12-13% bodyfat at 37 years old. My upperbody workouts are geared towards strength and size while my lowerbody workouts are geared more for speed and explosion (because I just can't give up sports and have ZERO desire to play in an old man's league for anything). My PB for reps of 225 is 27, incline max is 330... still run under 4.7 in the 40. My diet has a ton to do with my fitness level. I eat 7/8 meals a day and each meal consists of at least 15g of protein.

At 6 am I have a 30g of protein shake.
                      at 9 am I have 30g of protein on vegetarian sausages
                      at 11 am I have 35g of protein with peanut butter on P28 protein bread
                      at 130 pm i have 15-20g of protein from lowfat cheesesticks
                      at 330 pm i have 25g of protein from half a chicken breast
                      at 600 pm i have 30-40g of protein from dinner
                      at 830 pm i have 15-20g of protein from the rest of my dinnger
                      at bedtime 930-10pm i have 30g of protein from another shake

Spacing out the protein intake/meals serves two functions. #1 you can't store protein, your body utilzes what it can and stores the rest as energy or expels it and #2 your body's metabolism is 10% faster for up to an hour after you eat and the more often you eat the more often your metabolism is sped up.

For anybody looking to cut weight, add weight, maintain weight (that should be everybody), getting your protein schedule together is HUGE!

Comment

Definitely good advice and something I've been thinking about the last couple of days (more evenly spacing protein.)

I should note that I workout at night so the 50 grams of protein was just before sleep, more or less.. but I agree, still a lot.

I think I'll try splitting up my protein shake to two servings a day and take one when I first wakeup. That should give me a pretty even split of 25ish protein per meal with slightly higher in the morning, after workout and before sleep.

My 3,000 calories includes an extra 300 calories from different things that I can't account for day by day (ie beer, coffee, etc..) so the actual diet plan is 2,700 calories including the oil used for cooking. I feel like it's a good place to start as I know from my body and how I've eaten in the past that it definitely won't cause me to gain fat but most calculators I can find put me at around 2,700-2,800 as ideal. Definitely will tweak it as I go along.

Appreciate the advice quite a bit!
                        No problem...get that protein schedule down and even when you go back to work, you'll be able to set your watch to your meal schedule... I always know what time it is by how my stomach feels.

Comment

• Holy ****, you're like a Bruce Lee CJ.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                          02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                          02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                          02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                          Originally posted by fenikz
                          we all hate you

Comment

• IMO 3000 cals is not that much. My maintenance level is ~3200. I am 6'2, so taller and bigger than average but not by that much. I know a guy that started out super skinny, like less than 150. He had one of those ridiculous metabolisms. He has to stuff his face, as in 5-6K calories to gain any weight. He stuck with it and in 3 years he is up over 200 lbs., looks great, and is really strong. 300+ bench, over 500 on deadlift and squat.

Comment

• I survived just fine in Iraq for a year on about 2000 a day. That's at least 2 patrols a day wearing about 100 lbs of kit in about 130 degrees; plus working out once in the morning and once at night. Nobody needs 3000 calories a day unless you're trying to be a body builder. I just don't understand those kind of guys...it's all show and no go. I figure, if you grow it you have to carry it. Functional strength with speed and agility is the way to go unless you're a sumo wrestler or an action movie star.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

• I'm telling you if I ate 2000 cals a day I would be dropping weight like crazy. And I am no bodybuilder. How big are you mysterio?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information