Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All right guys: I am looking to start working out and I was wondering if you guys have any advice.

I am currently 5'10" 173 lbs with a BMI of 24.8 and body fat percentage around 18% (from online website and android application), if not more- I am definitely bordering being overweight, which isn't cool. I wanna cut it down to 15% and be around 160-165 lbs.

Eating many more meals a day is something to keep my metabolic rate up. How about my workout load? Right now, I don't have access to a gym and can only do some light resistance exercises. Must I change that? How much cardio should I be getting into?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• 205 is going overhead soon. Got ever so close last week.
      When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• How much you weigh Rob?

Comment

• Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
          All right guys: I am looking to start working out and I was wondering if you guys have any advice.

I am currently 5'10" 173 lbs with a BMI of 24.8 and body fat percentage around 18% (from online website and android application), if not more- I am definitely bordering being overweight, which isn't cool. I wanna cut it down to 15% and be around 160-165 lbs.

Eating many more meals a day is something to keep my metabolic rate up. How about my workout load? Right now, I don't have access to a gym and can only do some light resistance exercises. Must I change that? How much cardio should I be getting into?
          Don't over think it bro. You don't have to change anything. Do as much cardio or resistance exercises you feel comfortable with. Even if it's light weight you're doing, you can always have a great workout. The most important thing is that whatever you're doing, you work hard an push yourself.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
          02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
          02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
          02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
          Originally posted by fenikz
          we all hate you

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
            How much you weigh Rob?
            Probably around 205-210. Don't check my weight regularly anymore though. I will weight myself next gym session and report back.

I did, however, perform quite well doing cardio the other so who knows, I may be down around 200 or under. Did six 3 minutes rounds on the jump rope (about 100 turns/min pace) with 30 seconds rest between. And that was my cardio for the month.....

Comment

• body weight overhead press is impressive. My overhead press blows but I only have been doing it for 3 months. This is my 3rd cycle of 531 so Im gonna check out my 1 rep maxes for week 3. During my next cycles I am going to 1 or 2 reps left in the tank instead of failure and see if I progress.

Comment

body weight overhead press is impressive. My overhead press blows but I only have been doing it for 3 months. This is my 3rd cycle of 531 so Im gonna check out my 1 rep maxes for week 3. During my next cycles I am going to 1 or 2 reps left in the tank instead of failure and see if I progress.
                OHP is by far my favorite and best lift. I have always naturally been best at it. It also looks the coolest which doesn't hurt. I catch people looking at me all the time when I am putting a bar with 45's overhead. It just looks sweet.

Comment

• yea the problem is my max was at 115 last time I checked. I have friends who lift but only one who knows what he is doing and his OHP is 315 and 245. Its amazing. But it is true there is something about pushing the bar over your head that is just bad ass.

Comment

yea the problem is my max was at 115 last time I checked. I have friends who lift but only one who knows what he is doing and his OHP is 315 and 245. Its amazing. But it is true there is something about pushing the bar over your head that is just bad ass.
                    115 is very solid. I think 135 is considered intermediate level for a 165 lb dude and intermediate level totals are higher than you think (i.e.:180 lb. power clean at 165 lb.). You're fine. I think the best tip I can give on OHP is that when you hit a sticking point, do push presses with the higher weight.

Comment

• yea I did that at 165. I been bulking and am at 175. ill test my max next week. according to some 1 rep max calculators it doesnt seem like it will increase but we will see next week.

Im actually very solid at overhead press, squat and deadlift. (115,265,300 at 165) considering Im 5'10 and a stick. The problem is my bench blows (170 pounds). It bothers me cause I get a lot of **** judging everyone loves the bench.

Comment

yea I did that at 165. I been bulking and am at 175. ill test my max next week. according to some 1 rep max calculators it doesnt seem like it will increase but we will see next week.

Im actually very solid at overhead press, squat and deadlift. (115,265,300 at 165) considering Im 5'10 and a stick. The problem is my bench blows (170 pounds). It bothers me cause I get a lot of **** judging everyone loves the bench.
                        Yeah that bench is low. Are you at a sticking point? If so, run a Smolov cycle for bench. I guarantee at least 15 lbs added to your bench. Also check your form....watch Dave Tate's video on how to bench, its tremendous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnwA...embedded#at=19
                        Last edited by Rob S; 07-26-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• my sticking point is I can do one rep good then completly **** the bed on the next and not get it off my chest. I been trying everything. I now do kroc rows on my bench day and floor presses on overhead press day. I hope they can hel

Comment

my sticking point is I can do one rep good then completly **** the bed on the next and not get it off my chest. I been trying everything. I now do kroc rows on my bench day and floor presses on overhead press day. I hope they can hel
                            You're probably losing tightness. Watch the video above and if that doesn't work run a Smolov.

Comment

• yea it might be. But I usually have a flat back with my elbows tucked. I need ot practice lining up with an arched back.

Also my assistance for bench day has been a little high (dips, db bench, close grip then tricep pulls) But my reps were increasing with wendlers %. I guess we will see when I retest my max.

Comment

yea it might be. But I usually have a flat back with my elbows tucked. I need ot practice lining up with an arched back.

Also my assistance for bench day has been a little high (dips, db bench, close grip then tricep pulls) But my reps were increasing with wendlers %. I guess we will see when I retest my max.
                                Bench Press is very easy to get stronger at, but people are different so idk. If you want quick results do it twice a week. What I do for bench press is always switch things up. One week I'll do pyramids, then 5x5 the next and so on. Always have a spotter so he can help you put up more weight and get the last few inches.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
                                02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
                                02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
                                Originally posted by fenikz
                                we all hate you

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information