Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by njx9 View Post
    there are other places you can do all of those things that don't prevent me from doing the only thing you can't do without a squat rack. you're being a prick if you use it for anything other than squats.
    I think it is fine for OHP, but other than that I pretty much agree.
    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
      I think it is fine for OHP, but other than that I pretty much agree.
      meh. use dumbbells.

that said, i've never seen anyone use ours for overheads, so that's not really been an issue.

Comment

meh. use dumbbells.

that said, i've never seen anyone use ours for overheads, so that's not really been an issue.
        If you're not moving much weight, fine. But I'm not doing a heavy-ish hang clean right before a max effort set.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
          If you're not moving much weight, fine. But I'm not doing a heavy-ish hang clean right before a max effort set.
          i've certainly never seen anyone use it to press anything that was heavy enough to make a difference there. but fair enough. you're not a prick if you use the squat rack to press 200ish pounds.

i'll even allow for people doing cleans/deadlifts, if the benches nearby are in use, since there aren't very many other places with enough space.

but curls? shrugs? i'll kill your family.

Comment

i've certainly never seen anyone use it to press anything that was heavy enough to make a difference there. but fair enough. you're not a prick if you use the squat rack to press 200ish pounds.

i'll even allow for people doing cleans/deadlifts, if the benches nearby are in use, since there aren't very many other places with enough space.

but curls? shrugs? i'll kill your family.
            Yeah, I was strict-pushing 185 for my heavy set back in the day, so **** you if you're going to kick me out to probably squat less than that. But, I do 100% agree with the sentiment. I'm just cool with OHP as the only other acceptable workout.

Comment

• Back day's just been doing rack pulls, weighted pull ups, pull downs, and more isolation type exercises. Excited to do dead lifts tomorrow. Haven't dont traditional dead lifts for a couple months, before i stopped dead lifting for about a month more out of boredom I had been doing sumo. I think a lot of the isolation work I've been doing and 4 to 5 rep sets will help my deadlift. If I can do 275 5 or 6 reps I will be very happy.

BTW I'm feeling so good on the bench. All of the accessory work I've been doing with my triceps and shoulders has indirectly helped my bench a ton. I'm repping 315 about 3 1/2 reps, and even on my dropdown to 275 I'm doing 7-8 reps. I'm going to be starting cutting in a few weeks and honestly its not the diet that kills me. I get so busy during the week at work that honestly dieting isn't an issue, its the cardio thats killer. I'm going to try to do stair master 30 mins 3 days a week, and maybe screw around on the row machine or Jacobs ladder to try to keep things interesting. Unfortunately with my bad knees I can't run or play ball like I used to. Hopefully by summer time I will be fairly lean with my new built muscle. I'm trying to avoid major strength decreases on the cut.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• I've always been hesitant of doing deadlifts with regularity bc of my back injury, but I've decided I'm going to start doing it consistently starting today (as part of back day).

Any advice? If I'm squatting 190, what weight range should I start out with for dead lifts?

Comment

• Start with some light weight, something you're comfortable with and work on your form. I've seen a ton of people jerk using their back with heavy weights and that's how you **** up your back.

Comment

• Originally posted by bantx View Post
                    Start with some light weight, something you're comfortable with and work on your form. I've seen a ton of people jerk using their back with heavy weights and that's how you **** up your back.
                    This is correct. Build up to it and when you feel form breaking down, even slightly, you've found your max.

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    I've always been hesitant of doing deadlifts with regularity bc of my back injury, but I've decided I'm going to start doing it consistently starting today (as part of back day).

Any advice? If I'm squatting 190, what weight range should I start out with for dead lifts?
                    For most novices, their DL trends slightly above their squat. You can probably DL in the 200 range. That said, you squat in the smith machine and idk if you are counting that bar to to weigh anything....if you are, you shouldn't.

Comment

• Why doesn't the bar count?

Comment

• If you have back issues then start really light with deadlifts, as in spend the first few sessions doing a weight you barely even notice and get someone to make sure your form is good before building the weight gradually. No need to be a hero on them as they are one of the worst for injury if you do it wrong and one of the best for avoiding future back issues if done correctly because they are amazing for the stabilizing muscles.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Pulled 385 tonight. Was real smooth with near perfect form throughout. 405 is certainly going down in 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information