Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
    If you have a quick metabolism and you are 21 that might be ok, but I prefer to up the protein calories; that's where the fish and seafood comes in.
    well, I'm 23. :) ( with the metabolism of a 12 year old)

regardless, if your looking for bulk ( not getting cut) you need sufficient caloric intake.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
    they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
    Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Sure, but if you are looking to add muscle and not fat, eating a crap load of carbs is just going to make you have to work harder. It's not efficient. If you want to add muscle weight, eat protein.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

its always better to bulk clean, but its tough and expensive.
        When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Cytogainer made by Cytosports is amazing protein for after a workout. I take Kre-alkalyn also. Its like creatine, but doesnt have side effects like dehydration and bloating.

Comment

Monday - Chest, back, shoulders
            Wednesday - Biceps, triceps, cardio
            Friday - Chest, back, shoulders
            Sunday - Legs, cardio

I just started a new chest workout that has been great. 6 sets of 6 reps on the bench. Add 10 pounds for each set. After the 6 sets I do 1 set of 90% of my max. Then depending on the day I do 3 sets of incline, decline or standard dumbbell presses. I always start the workout with a warmup set of pushups, and end with doing as many pushups as I can.

Love the pullups too. I do them every workout.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
              I'm currently training to run the Marine Corps Marathon. I run about 5 miles 4 times a week with ankle and wrist weights right now.
              Damn that's impressive.

I walked into my gym today and found out the AC was out. There wasn't a gray spot left on my gray shirt, I was drenched in sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                I'm currently training to run the Marine Corps Marathon. I run about 5 miles 4 times a week with ankle and wrist weights right now.
                When I was on active duty, I was running 20 miles a week. When my unit went to EFM (Expert Field Medic) training, that went to 40 miles a week with a 45lb ruck for a month. Somethings, I don't necessarily miss.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

I started up at a gym about 5 months ago, and have been doing pretty well. I'm a thick guy to start off with, but since I've started, I've been noticing real results. I go either 5 or 6 times a week, depending on my free time, and though I haven't lost much weight (only about 5 lbs), I have been replacing fat with muscle, and that is great by me. My Schedule goes..

Day one:
                  Lower-Squat and calves

Day two:
                  Upper-Bench, shoulders, biceps

Day three:
                  Lower-Leg Press, hips, extra hamstring work

Day four:
                  Upper-Bench, back, triceps

I do abs every day at the gym, and am currently doing 400 sit ups before I go to bed every night, and doing that has turned my gut into something respectable. (My mid-line is visible, and am beginning to see my obliques and even my top two cans of the 6 pack, lol) On upper body days I usually do all the muscle groups, just focus more on the ones in each day. I also mix in things that don't really fit anywhere. I'll work on my hand strength once a cycle, and even do the girly hip ab(and ad)ductor machines once per cycle as well. I do cardio once every week or two, I hate cardio. So far I've gained a good amount of strength and lost a lot of fat.

I have the calves of a greek god, in case anyone is interested...lol

And I don't do the supplement thing, I just have began eating healthier and that is probably a main part of the reason I'm having good results.
                  Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by AkiliSmith View Post
                    Sunday - Legs, cardio

I just started a new chest workout that has been great. 6 sets of 6 reps on the bench. Add 10 pounds for each set. After the 6 sets I do 1 set of 90% of my max. Then depending on the day I do 3 sets of incline, decline or standard dumbbell presses. I always start the workout with a warmup set of pushups, and end with doing as many pushups as I can.

Chest back and shoulders twice a week on the same day? You better be careful you're not over training them.

Eaglesalltheway, Doing abs every day can defeat the purpose. Sure, they recover faster than most muscles but you need to let them rest in between workouts. Recovery is as important as lifting.
                    Last edited by TitleTown088; 06-09-2009, 08:52 PM.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                    they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                    Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by AkiliSmith View Post
                      Sunday - Legs, cardio

I'd mix it up in the upper body a bit more. You're either going to hurt yourself, or end up disporportional, lol. Doing chest, back, and shoulders twice in a week isn't safe. I'd work in triceps (maybe) on one of those days, or work on your forearms or something. You could also concentrate a little more on lower body.

There's nothing wierder looking than a guy whose arms are bigger than his legs...lol.

Edit: Well, TT had that covered, lol.

Right now TT, I am working more for toning instead of building, so I am not putting an incredible amount of stress on them, just doing lots of reps at relatively light weight so I can tone them more. I know I have abs of steel under there, I'm just trying to focus on burning the fat off of them.
                      Last edited by eaglesalltheway; 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                        It's not that simple. If your looking to bulk up you need to eat more calories too ( you hinted at this). If you're looking for bulk, don't shy away from desserts and such. Eat.
                        No..you do want to shy away from desserts and such. You want protein and Carbohydrate calories. But you don't want simple carbs, like sugars and white breads, empty fillers. You want complex carbs, such as starch, wheat, potatoes, wheat pasta, or regular pasta, protein. Try and avoid calories that are primarily based on fat, don't avoid your Basic Fatty Acids, but avoids things like candy and such. Don't have something that says 110 calories, 90 calories from Fat.

You need to increase your caloric intake, and with that making sure you getting good complex carbs not simple ones.

So far the best way I found to bulk up was a weight gainer for me. I tried weight gainer and I got 25 lbs in 2ish weeks. I am trying to bulk up again, right now i'm eating 3000, might up it to 3500, not see much results right now.

Comment

CJ, in repsonse to the rep comment (given too much to CJ recently, recurring theme of my time on SWDC) my soleus muscles of my calves go all the way down to my ankles, and are huge. Combine that with my huge gastrocnemius muscles of the calves (the ones closest to the knee), that is why I have thankles... (Yes I did have to look up the names of the muscles)

I also have an incredibly large swell of anterior muscle. (overtop my shins) I can stand on one foot all day if I had to. (also had to look that up too, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                            I'd mix it up in the upper body a bit more. You're either going to hurt yourself, or end up disporportional, lol. Doing chest, back, and shoulders twice in a week isn't safe. I'd work in triceps (maybe) on one of those days, or work on your forearms or something. You could also concentrate a little more on lower body.

There's nothing wierder looking than a guy whose arms are bigger than his legs...lol.

Edit: Well, TT had that covered, lol.

Right now TT, I am working more for toning instead of building, so I am not putting an incredible amount of stress on them, just doing lots of reps at relatively light weight so I can tone them more. I know I have abs of steel under there, I'm just trying to focus on burning the fat off of them.
                            I already have a huge lower body from playing hockey for 6 years so I don't focus so much on that. I usually end up working out an extra day on tues or thurs and either do biceps/triceps or legs depending on how I'm feeling. I workout my forearms usually only once a week on the biceps day. I kill my triceps doing benchpresses so I just figure there isn't a point in working them out as much.

Comment

Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                              Cytogainer made by Cytosports is amazing protein for after a workout. I take Kre-alkalyn also. Its like creatine, but doesnt have side effects like dehydration and bloating.
                              Dude Cytogainer is a weight gainer. Not just pure whey protein. Look at the calories per scoop, creatine in grams, and carbs. Thats the one I took and gained like 25lbs in 2ish weeks.

Comment

I've got 50lbs to lose and just can't seem to motivate myself to exercise like I was doing. I don't know what's going on.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                                WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information