Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else think Power Cleans are the hardest lift to have perfect form in?

I was thinking about doing them, I realized how much you have to do to have proper form, not even perfect. I want to do them, but i'm afraid if I have bad form, it will be useless/I won't see gains.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
      Anyone else think Power Cleans are the hardest lift to have perfect form in?

I was thinking about doing them, I realized how much you have to do to have proper form, not even perfect. I want to do them, but i'm afraid if I have bad form, it will be useless/I won't see gains.
      Practice with just the bar to get the form down. Add small increments of weight until you are comfortable enough to go full strength.

You can even practice without a bar if you don't have one at home. Just fake power cleans while watching tv. Get that muscle memory so it becomes a habit to have good form.

Comment

I'm planning on starting to go to the gym this summer (once exams are over)
        I'm roughly 5'10", 145 pounds. I have a very low body-fat %.
        I want to get bulked up, but add only healthy weight.

What kind of workout regimen should I get into?

Originally Posted by scottyboy
        my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
        But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

I'm 17 years old and went from over 200 to 157 in about a year. I am definitely focusing more on losing fat than gaining muscle right now but now that I start college in September I'll have more access to a gym.

Comment

Since everyone is posting what they do. I don't have a set schedule of what I do, I always do something different everyday. Helps keep the body from getting used to something weekly.

But I do the at least one full body lift every time I work out.

Squat, Chest, Bi

DL, Back, Tri

Squat, Legs, Shoulders

I throw in RDL in there as well. And everyday I do some abs and HIIT. I just want to throw in Power Cleans on my day off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
              I'm planning on starting to go to the gym this summer (once exams are over)
              I'm roughly 5'10", 145 pounds. I have a very low body-fat %.
              I want to get bulked up, but add only healthy weight.

What kind of workout regimen should I get into?
              You'll gain fat, even if you gain weight, good weight. Once you reach your ideal weight of say 175-180. Then you just do HIIT, cardio. You'll burn off that fat and keep your muscle on, just remember to cut down your calories but not buy a lot just like 100-200. That way your body will start going into your reserve aka your fat.

Comment

No..you do want to shy away from desserts and such. You want protein and Carbohydrate calories. But you don't want simple carbs, like sugars and white breads, empty fillers. You want complex carbs, such as starch, wheat, potatoes, wheat pasta, or regular pasta, protein. Try and avoid calories that are primarily based on fat, don't avoid your Basic Fatty Acids, but avoids things like candy and such. Don't have something that says 110 calories, 90 calories from Fat.

You need to increase your caloric intake, and with that making sure you getting good complex carbs not simple ones.
                Obviously you wan to concentrate on taking in more good carbs, that goes without saying. You're not going to get jacked eating cake all day. But for someone with a high metabolism, eating a dessert or a couple slices of bread with a meal helps add bulk. If you're going for bulk there is no reason to shy away from carbs if you're working out enough.
                -------
                Also, rest is something that people often overlook( and not just in between lifting days), and it is key to growth.
                A personal trainer( essentially a body builder) I know recently started me on this new program that varies the amount of rest you do in between sets... Previously I had been waiting about a minute between sets and such. He made me start all over at wait 2-3 min in between. Then I slowly worked the time in between sets down agian, it has done wonders for my gains.
                Last edited by TitleTown088; 06-09-2009, 09:36 PM.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

You'll gain fat, even if you gain weight, good weight. Once you reach your ideal weight of say 175-180. Then you just do HIIT, cardio. You'll burn off that fat and keep your muscle on, just remember to cut down your calories but not buy a lot just like 100-200. That way your body will start going into your reserve aka your fat.

What should I do go get up to that 175?
                  Are there any specific workouts?

Also, what's HIIT?

my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                  But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

I go to the gym 6 times a week. I usually take Sundays off. I do a half hour of cardio before every workout, I try to mix it up. I hate running, I wont lie, so its usually stairmaster and exercise bike. I dont really use Whey/creatine/Rapidcuts anymore now that I dont play football anymore. Here is what my routine looks like

Monday
                    Chest

Tuesday
                    Arms

Wednesday
                    Shoulders

Thursday
                    Back

Friday
                    Core

Saturday
                    Legs

I do 5 different exercises for each group, so my workout is usually only 45 minutes (after cardio). Always start with a lower weight and work up until failure. Good way to gain bulk really quick.
                    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                    The APS is strong in this one.
                    Originally posted by killxswitch
                    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
                      What should I do go get up to that 175?
                      Are there any specific workouts?

Also, what's HIIT?
                      High Intensity Interval Training. Its almost like football conditioning. Its only 20 mins. You go full all out springs for like 30 seconds, then jog a min, then sprint again 30 seconds, then jog. That is the basics, but you can find better things if you google it.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                        I go to the gym 6 times a week. I usually take Sundays off. I do a half hour of cardio before every workout, I try to mix it up. I hate running, I wont lie, so its usually stairmaster and exercise bike. I dont really use Whey/creatine/Rapidcuts anymore now that I dont play football anymore. Here is what my routine looks like

Monday
                        Chest

Tuesday
                        Arms

Wednesday
                        Shoulders

Thursday
                        Back

Friday
                        Core

Saturday
                        Legs

I do 5 different exercises for each group, so my workout is usually only 45 minutes (after cardio). Always start with a lower weight and work up until failure. Good way to gain bulk really quick.
                        I"m not a fan of running either. But I usually hold my cardio off till the end. I warm up for 5, 10 mins on the bike, lift then do 15, 20 min cardio. Also Oliptical FTW

Comment

Also Oliptical FTW
                          Oh, the oliptical is excellent. If you're a fat girl. :)

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                          they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                          Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Yeah, not a huge fan of the Elliptical myself. I never feel like it does anything, like I sweat, but I am never out of breath and my muscles never feel tired on it. I prefer to feel like I did something if I do 30 mins of cardio.

Also, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is dont get stuck in a routine for too long. Change it up every few months. Otherwise, your body adjusts, and you will end up plateuing alot faster then you want to. I change mine up by switching which days I do what, and what exercises I do in what order. That way, your body never adjusts to the routine.
                            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                            The APS is strong in this one.
                            Originally posted by killxswitch
                            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

High Intensity Interval Training. Its almost like football conditioning. Its only 20 mins. You go full all out springs for like 30 seconds, then jog a min, then sprint again 30 seconds, then jog. That is the basics, but you can find better things if you google it.

Oh, okay.
                              I hated those when I played football. We'd have to do this in a semi-small room, with roughly 40 guys, with the fans off, and windows shut, in the middle of summer.

This worked real well for toning and burning fat.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                                Yeah, not a huge fan of the Elliptical myself. I never feel like it does anything, like I sweat, but I am never out of breath and my muscles never feel tired on it. I prefer to feel like I did something if I do 30 mins of cardio.

Also, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is dont get stuck in a routine for too long. Change it up every few months. Otherwise, your body adjusts, and you will end up plateuing alot faster then you want to. I change mine up by switching which days I do what, and what exercises I do in what order. That way, your body never adjusts to the routine.
                                Really try upping the ramp to like 20 and resistance to 10 and keep 190 strides, I think you'll feel the burn then.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information