Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, I'm currently 5'11 200 LBS. About 4 months ago, I was 227 LBS. My goal weight is 185 LBS. I've been working out 5-6 days a week. (Atleast 15 minutes of cardio before workouts, or 30+ minutes of cardio without workout afterwords.) Is that okay? BTW, I'm a lot stronger now than I was at 227. (Nearly doubled my bench press). Keep in mind I just turned 18.

I take Fish Oil, Whey (Not as much as I should), and I just started taking SuperPump 250 (Awesome)

However, I want to cut some weight but get more muscle. I'm going to be playing in a flag football league soon, so I'd like to get faster (getting to 185) and get stronger (Linebacker). I don't know if it's impossible to do, but any ideas? Keep doing what I'm doing, or?

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!

Comment

• The superpump is helping a lot with you getting stronger. Not a bad thing, but don't be confused when you cycle off of it, which you should, and find out ur not as strong.

Faster and stronger sounds like u need to work out them legs and back. What better than some power cleans, Ass 2 ground squats aka full below parallel squats, dead lifts and Romanian dead lifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by etk View Post
        I feel this way too. I do 3 sets for most of my lifts but I don't feel enough exhaustion/soreness in my muscles...and I like that feeling.

I'll probably just add more exercises cuz it's boring doing the same thing 5 times.

Anyways I'm 6'1 193 and trying to get to 200 at least. I've already put on about 10 lbs. this semester - happened really fast but now I've plateaued (even lost a few) which was weird.

Any advice in terms of lifting/dieting/supplements?
        What's your diet like? Almost all growing occurs outside of the gym.
        You could always shock your body with a different workout if you think you've been on this routine for enough time that your body has adjusted to it.

Originally posted by TheBuffaloBills View Post
        Hey guys, I'm currently 5'11 200 LBS. About 4 months ago, I was 227 LBS. My goal weight is 185 LBS. I've been working out 5-6 days a week. (Atleast 15 minutes of cardio before workouts, or 30+ minutes of cardio without workout afterwords.) Is that okay? BTW, I'm a lot stronger now than I was at 227. (Nearly doubled my bench press). Keep in mind I just turned 18.

I take Fish Oil, Whey (Not as much as I should), and I just started taking SuperPump 250 (Awesome)

However, I want to cut some weight but get more muscle. I'm going to be playing in a flag football league soon, so I'd like to get faster (getting to 185) and get stronger (Linebacker). I don't know if it's impossible to do, but any ideas? Keep doing what I'm doing, or?
        Have you done Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe? It's a great beginners workout and you will gain a lot of strength from the compound lifts. You will no doubt gain more muscle.

If you get a diet routine going then you won't need to spend money on Whey. Protein from whole food sources is better for you and cheaper. Tuna, Chicken, Eggs. Incorporate those in your diet and you can meet you daily needs ( 1g protein/ 1lb). In your case, you should be taking in 200g of protein. Any more is overkill.

Any reason you are doing cardio before workouts?

In any event, cycle SuperPump.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBuffaloBills View Post
          Hey guys, I'm currently 5'11 200 LBS. About 4 months ago, I was 227 LBS. My goal weight is 185 LBS. I've been working out 5-6 days a week. (Atleast 15 minutes of cardio before workouts, or 30+ minutes of cardio without workout afterwords.) Is that okay? BTW, I'm a lot stronger now than I was at 227. (Nearly doubled my bench press). Keep in mind I just turned 18.

Strength is useless in flag football. The three time defending champions of my base flag football league doesn't have a guy over 150 lbs on it.

Comment

• flag football is all about speed and football IQ

lost another .8lbs

officially down 76.6lbs
            looking to try and play some D3 Football next fall.. so im tryin to cut down to 175ish

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
              Strength is useless in flag football. The three time defending champions of my base flag football league doesn't have a guy over 150 lbs on it.
              Oh yeah totally. I just want to hold my own against 275 pound lineman.

I really just do the beginning cardio to get the blood pumping.
              Last edited by TheBuffaloBills; 11-07-2009, 10:07 AM.

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!

Comment

• Losing and Gaining weight is the easiest concept out there. If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. If they are mostly good calories, the weight will be mostly muscle. If you eat less then you burn, you loose weight. Thats really all there is to it......no "tips" are really needed. Its all about discipline.

Its simple. If you have been gaining weight and have plateued (etk), your body wants more food. Your plan is fine for now TBB, so long as it keeps working. If you see yourself stall tho, cut out some calories or put in some for cardio.
                When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
                  **** creatine and all those weight gain supplements. They are a waste of money and they don't work. Best way to gain more weight is to eat more. I went from 163 to 180 doing that (im 5'9") in about a month. Now i lost some and im around 175. My goal is to reach 190. What is your workout routine guys?

Here is mine:

Monday-- Shoulders

Tuesday-- Abs and Back

Wednesday-- Biceps

Thursday-- Chest and Triceps... my favorite day

Friday-- Legs

Weekends-- I try to rest, but i can't help not going for a workout.

Lately i've been slacking.
                  You're absolutely right. Creatine is bad for the liver besides being a waste of money.

Comment

• Creatine is actually one of the few supplements that I put credence in. It has had so many tests done on it.....its pretty ignorant to say it does nothing (maybe it didnt work for you, fine) because all the research indicates it is one of the most effective supplements out there in addition to being safer than other products because so many tests have been done.

Comment

• Originally posted by wordofi View Post
                      You're absolutely right. Creatine is bad for the liver besides being a waste of money.
                      Its bad for you liver if you OD on it. You body produces creatine as well. Drinking is bad for your liver, taking excess amounts of Whey is probably bad for you liver as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                        Its bad for you liver if you OD on it. You body produces creatine as well. Drinking is bad for your liver, taking excess amounts of Whey is probably bad for you liver as well.
                        Yeah, creatine is natural. If you eat ground beef at all you are taking in creatine in a pretty large amount actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                          This is all true. Protein is only supposed to make up 30% of your diet, max.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by etk View Post
                            This is all true. Protein is only supposed to make up 30% of your diet, max.
                            Nah, then your taking in what, like 40% carbs? Thats bad. The Food Pyramid lies. I think 40 is very acceptable and I think Keto diets have their place as well.
                            Last edited by Rob S; 11-07-2009, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                              Nah, then your taking in what, like 40% carbs? Thats bad. The Food Pyramid lies. I think 40 is very acceptable and I think Keto diets have their place as well.
                              Percentages don't mean much to me anymore.

40% protein in a 3500 calorie diet is 350 grams of protein which would be too much depending on bodyweight of course.

I would just try to get 1-1.5 times your body weight in protein and distribute the rest in fats and carbs.

Dietetics major here btw. Classes actually start getting kind of hard when you start learning about all the metabolic processes.
                              Peyton Manning Fanboy
                              Originally posted by Complex
                              They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
                                Percentages don't mean much to me anymore.

40% protein in a 3500 calorie diet is 350 grams of protein which would be too much depending on bodyweight of course.

I would just try to get 1-1.5 times your body weight in protein and distribute the rest in fats and carbs.

Dietetics major here btw. Classes actually start getting kind of hard when you start learning about all the metabolic processes.
                                1.5 times my bodyweight would be insane. I'd be looking at 270g of protein.

.8-1g of protein is sufficient. Anything over that is overkill. It's been proven in studies.

40/30/30 is the way to go, imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information