Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
    I HAtE this way of thinking. How are carbs bad? Calories? why dont you go on a 0 calorie diet for a year or two. they are the supposed to be the main fuel for your body
    there are good carbs and bad carbs. Calories can come from other things then carbs, but most of the time its from carbs. If you cut calories you essentially want to cut out bad carbs your taking in. If you increase calories you want to increase good carbs.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
      there are good carbs and bad carbs. Calories can come from other things then carbs, but most of the time its from carbs. If you cut calories you essentially want to cut out bad carbs your taking in. If you increase calories you want to increase good carbs.

      The only "bad carbs" are processed products that everyone knows is bad for you to eat in the first place. People who wont eat bread or potatos because they think carbs are bad piss me off.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
        The only "bad carbs" are processed products that everyone knows is bad for you to eat in the first place. People who wont eat bread or potatos because they think carbs are bad piss me off.
        Those types aren't in this thread, well white bread is bad. Potatoes are an excellent way to increase your calories.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
          Those types aren't in this thread, well white bread is bad. Potatoes are an excellent way to increase your calories.

          Originally posted by Rob S View Post
          I pretty much dont eat carbs (altho I am considering going paleo), so I take in quite a bit of protein. Most days around 1.5 g/lb and a lot of times more.
          Seems like there are those types.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
            Those types aren't in this thread, well white bread is bad. Potatoes are an excellent way to increase your calories.
            I never noticed but it looks like 4 big black dudes are gang raping that white guy in your sig

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
              I never noticed but it looks like 4 big black dudes are gang raping that white guy in your sig
              I never realized it either. ahahha, #4 grabbing him by the neck hahha and 5 cheering him on.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
                Seems like there are those types.
                Oh man Rob S is one well informed guy about these type of things. He knows what he is doing and talking about. I think right now he is going through his cutting phase so he limits his intake. Again the best way to cut calories is to cut the carbs, or keep them at a min.

                I thought you were talking about women, who won't eat healthy, good carbs, but will drink a whole bottle of diet coke, cause it has less carbs. Now this is dumb.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
                  running or swimming, push ups, pull ups and sit ups. those are those are the only exercises you need. weight lifting is for chumps
                  I was going to teach you about the value of low carb diets and why I choose to follow one, but this post made me realize its not worth the effort. If you dont see the value of heavy lifting for max strength gains, you simply don't know what your talking about and have not researched exercise at all. I will just assume you did the same regarding diet.
                  Last edited by Rob S; 11-09-2009, 12:00 AM.
                  When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                    I was going to teach you about the value of low carb diets and why I choose to follow one, but this post made me realize its not worth the effort. If you dont see the value of heavy lifting for max strength gains, you simply don't know what your talking about.
                    See I have a question how do I go about it low carb diet and the value of it for me. I'm a vegetarian, and my post work out meal usually is whey shake, brown rice and broccoli, or sometimes mashed potatoes. Now how the f do i low carb it? I only can eat so much yogurt in a day. I know it'll help me cut fat from my sides and stomach, but those PWO meal carbs shouldn't effect me as much, but what about the rest of my day? Should I just stick to fruits, salads and yogurt for the rest of my day?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                      See I have a question how do I go about it low carb diet and the value of it for me. I'm a vegetarian, and my post work out meal usually is whey shake, brown rice and broccoli, or sometimes mashed potatoes. Now how the f do i low carb it? I only can eat so much yogurt in a day. I know it'll help me cut fat from my sides and stomach, but those PWO meal carbs shouldn't effect me as much, but what about the rest of my day? Should I just stick to fruits, salads and yogurt for the rest of my day?
                      You can eat the brown rice an whatnot after your work out. I have no issue there. Its just that carbs at other times are tough to digest and the body doesnt really use them effectively. Being a vegetarian is a bit rough, but I would say for 2 PWO meals (within like 4-6 hours of WO) go ahead and eat carbs (unless you are cutting, just eat carbs for the first one then). For your other meals tho, go for a lean protein source (I dont know what, maybe fish if you eat it) and get your carbs from veggies and eat as much of those as you want. If you are not cutting, feel free to load up on fruit also (especially PWO). Hope this helps you......if you have some more specific questions jusr PM me with your goals and stuff and I can give a more detailed type of response.

                      ** Also, if you are cutting I would stay away from dairy unless its before bed. It messes a little with insulin levels. If you are bulking tho, milk is your best friend. Around 1/2 a gallon a day will do wonders.

                      ** Also, drink Gatorade when you work out, its really important and whoops waters ass. Throw some protein in as well. Powdered is better than the pre made, but if you cant find it its all good.
                      Last edited by Rob S; 11-09-2009, 12:13 AM.
                      When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

                      Comment


                      • white bread is processed btw and is pretty terrible for you.
                        When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

                        Comment


                        • Carbs = vegetables, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and that really healthy bread that they have in the frozen section of health food stores (forget the name)

                          Avoid = white bread/floud, white rice, too much fruit (like oranges)

                          Rob S: You said that milk is good for bulking - which I already knew - but how much is 1/2 a gallon? At the cafeteria we have small glasses so how many should I take per meal? I usually grab 3-4 but I see some guys with 6+ where they basically have a tray of milk with one dish + maybe a side dish.

                          sig by BoneKrusher

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by etk View Post
                            Carbs = vegetables, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and that really healthy bread that they have in the frozen section of health food stores (forget the name)

                            Avoid = white bread/floud, white rice, too much fruit (like oranges)

                            Rob S: You said that milk is good for bulking - which I already knew - but how much is 1/2 a gallon? At the cafeteria we have small glasses so how many should I take per meal? I usually grab 3-4 but I see some guys with 6+ where they basically have a tray of milk with one dish + maybe a side dish.
                            1/2 gallon is 64 oz or 8 cups. If you are drinking whole milk that will add around 1200 calories on top of your daily food consumption. Some people need to go for a full gallon tho depending on their body type.
                            When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                              1/2 gallon is 64 oz or 8 cups. If you are drinking whole milk that will add around 1200 calories on top of your daily food consumption. Some people need to go for a full gallon tho depending on their body type.
                              I have 3 cups just in my breakfast. Currently bulking.

                              Comment


                              • As far as the carb argument goes here, it has nothing to do with being processed or not. However, being processed generally is a good rule of thumb on which carbs to avoid.


                                In any case, the very very simplified reason to avoid "bad" carbs is this.


                                Bad carbs = sugary carbs that are quick digesting and are absorbed into the blood stream very fast. Things like White bread, candy, milkshakes, pop... etc etc = fast absorping carbs.


                                When these carbs are absorbed into your blood stream very fast, your body has to secrete insulin and store the sugar in your liver so as to stop from overloading your blood stream with too much sugar. Because of this, your body also goes into fat storing mode, and your metabolism suddenly slows down a ton. (ever wonder what the "crash" is from in energy drinks? It's not the caffeine, it's the sugar).


                                So long story short, bad carbs = they slow your metabolism down and force your body into more of a fat storing mode.


                                Good carbs take longer to digest since they're longer chains and your stomach can't break them down as quick. Believe it or not, fat also increases absorption time, so it's actually not that bad to have some fat with a very sugary meal (assuming it's not terrible fat.. which is another discussion in itself). Fiber also slows sugar absorption.


                                So whoever said what he said about carbs. Please read up and know what you're talking about before spouting off. In the end, low or no carb diets are terrible for you. (i'd say even worse than not dieting at all, but thats another thread full of my wisdom.) But too many carbs is also bad for you. Eat whole foods, eat balanced, and don't overeat. Don't complicate things. :)
                                Browns & Buckeyes <3

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information