Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gstock05 View Post
    As far as the carb argument goes here, it has nothing to do with being processed or not. However, being processed generally is a good rule of thumb on which carbs to avoid.

In any case, the very very simplified reason to avoid "bad" carbs is this.

Bad carbs = sugary carbs that are quick digesting and are absorbed into the blood stream very fast. Things like White bread, candy, milkshakes, pop... etc etc = fast absorping carbs.

When these carbs are absorbed into your blood stream very fast, your body has to secrete insulin and store the sugar in your liver so as to stop from overloading your blood stream with too much sugar. Because of this, your body also goes into fat storing mode, and your metabolism suddenly slows down a ton. (ever wonder what the "crash" is from in energy drinks? It's not the caffeine, it's the sugar).

So long story short, bad carbs = they slow your metabolism down and force your body into more of a fat storing mode.

Good carbs take longer to digest since they're longer chains and your stomach can't break them down as quick. Believe it or not, fat also increases absorption time, so it's actually not that bad to have some fat with a very sugary meal (assuming it's not terrible fat.. which is another discussion in itself). Fiber also slows sugar absorption.

So whoever said what he said about carbs. Please read up and know what you're talking about before spouting off. In the end, low or no carb diets are terrible for you. (i'd say even worse than not dieting at all, but thats another thread full of my wisdom.) But too many carbs is also bad for you. Eat whole foods, eat balanced, and don't overeat. Don't complicate things. :)

I can tell you from experience that keto diets have their place. I would say at least 50 percent of people I know are carb intolerant and cant keep their weight at the class they want when eating even good carbs such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. Hell, I know a few fighters that cant even eat greens because their weight increases with the added carbs. If you are trying to gain, carbs are all good, but if you are looking to maintain they must be limited and if you are cutting, most people (from my experience) need to limit them to only post workout.
    Last edited by Rob S; 11-09-2009, 11:03 PM.
    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
      Around 1/2 a gallon a day will do wonders.
      Holy ******* ****, that's a lot of milk, man.

RIP ST

Comment

I can tell you from experience that keto diets have their place. I would say at least 50 percent of people I know are carb intolerant and cant keep their weight at the class they want when eating even good carbs such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. Hell, I know a few fighters that cant even eat greens because their weight increases with the added carbs. If you are trying to gain, carbs are all good, but if you are looking to maintain they must be limited and if you are cutting, most people (from my experience) need to limit them to only post workout.
        Calories vs. calories out. If i ate 1500 calories of almost all carbs i would still lose weight.

Keto diets work but why give up on delicious carbs?
        Last edited by bernbabybern820; 11-10-2009, 07:34 AM.
        Peyton Manning Fanboy
        Originally posted by Complex
        They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
          Calories vs. calories out. If i ate 1500 calories of almost all carbs i would still lose weight.

Keto diets work but why give up on delicious carbs?
          Because if I ate a 1500 calories diet with carbs I would be starving. 1500 with protein as a large percentage is far more manageable. Plus I would probabaly lose a ton of muscle.

Comment

1/2 gallon is 64 oz or 8 cups. If you are drinking whole milk that will add around 1200 calories on top of your daily food consumption. Some people need to go for a full gallon tho depending on their body type.
            OK I'm on the right track then. I have milk in my cereal, protein shakes, plus in glasses with my meals.

And what do you mean by body type? You mean people who have smaller frames that have trouble putting on weight, or vice versa?

I've reached a new peak at 195.5....so close to 2:):)

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
              I have 3 cups just in my breakfast. Currently bulking.
              Bulking is terrible advice. That means you're going to eat junk food and think that since you're 15 lbs. heavier, you'll think it's all muscle when it's mostly fat. Also, you can be lean all the time as opposed to part of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by wordofi View Post
                Bulking is terrible advice. That means you're going to eat junk food and think that since you're 15 lbs. heavier, you'll think it's all muscle when it's mostly fat. Also, you can be lean all the time as opposed to part of the time.
                ahahhaahhahaha....hahahah.

Yes when you bulk you'll get some fat, but that fat can be easily worked off.

Remember when you bulk, your lifiting, so your burning off calories, so you want to increase your calories, so you muscles have extra to feed off of and grow. Also it depends what you eat, if you have no idea what your doing yeah you'll eat a lot more junk food and fats then you should. If you do know what your doing, you'll avoid most junk foods and stick to healthy foods, thus having less fat.

Comment

Umm....no.

Bulking doesn't mean you should grab the Twinkies and Joe Louis and much away....it just means you can eat more and have a higher calorie intake.

The whole concept of junk food is that there are no positive health benefits to it....it's junk.

When you're bulking, you're eating a lot of calories but you should still eat food that's nutritious. Milk, for example has protein, calcium and other vitamins.

You will put on fat when you're bulking but it won't be bad fat, it won't be noticeable and your BF% shouldn't go up. I've put on 10-15 lbs. since September and I've just become more solid. The weight isn't all muscle but I still don't have fat protruding all over me.

Bulking isn't for everyone though. Only do it if you want to look bigger and/or need to get bigger for sport. I'm doing it for both.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• God, some posts are brutal to read.

Comment

No, stop.

I know how to bulk. I've done it before. I don't eat junk food and I count my calories. I know quite a bit about nutrition. The only fat in my diet comes from milk, peanut butter, olive oil, eggs, and the little that there is on my meats. Don't make gross assumptions that I'm picking up sugary carbs and stuffing my face convincing myself that it will in turn, build muscle and help with my strength gains.

It's very true that you can be lean all the time as opposed to a part of the time. Thing is, I can still be lean while bulking. My BF doesn't skyrocket, as it shouldn't.

My goal is to get to 200 pounds with <10% BF. I'm currently 176 with 13%. Realistically, I expect to be able to reach my goal a year from now if I continue to do it right.

Comment

• But seriously i don't think nutrition is exactly rocket science.

Keep your macros in check, get at least a 1 gram per pound of body weight of protein, keep at least 20% of your calories from fat, get your EFA's and don't eat junk all the time.

If you're bulking, Start out at eating 500 calories above your maintenance. Not gaining any weight still? Add more calories. Adding too much fat? Lower the calories.

Oh and work out.
                        Peyton Manning Fanboy
                        Originally posted by Complex
                        They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Comment

• do you guys have a pattern in rotating your reps when you lift?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                            do you guys have a pattern in rotating your reps when you lift?
                            its all about what your goal are. I usually keep everything to 5 and under rep wise on my main lifts to maximimize strength & power gains.

Comment

its all about what your goal are. I usually keep everything to 5 and under rep wise on my main lifts to maximimize strength & power gains.
                              Yeah no more than 4-6 reps for strength/bulk.

What are your main lifts? I'm guessing squat, bench, deadlift. Any more?

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by etk View Post
                                Yeah no more than 4-6 reps for strength/bulk.

What are your main lifts? I'm guessing squat, bench, deadlift. Any more?
                                I consider Standing Overhead Press a main lift.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information