Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually go for a more intense workout. I go 3 sets with 15 reps with a smaller weight, then I do about 5 minutes of cardio, then go back to the weights, then cardio again. I do that for about 45 minutes, then I sit down on the bike and cool down for 15 minutes. And the cool part is, is that I don't get bored because i'm not doing the same thing everyday. I make sure that I work every major muscle group throughout a week. I work out 4 times a week.

For supplements, I take creatine. Thats it. The only other thing I do is up my protein intake every other week. One week I will eat huge meals, usually starting off in the morning with 6 eggs, 3 pieces of toast, a 20 oz glass of milk, and a banana. For lunch I drink a protein shake with a banana. And for supper I finish off with a nice lite salad. And the next week I'll just eat everything I need off the food pyramid. It has been working for me. The first month that I started doing this I lost about 30 lbs. Then I put it back on in the second month. And since then I have gained about 20 more lbs of muscle.

Lol. I went to the doctor and my shoulder muscle was almost as dense as my femur.

sig by fenikz
    Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
    You are just a terrible person.
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
    I have an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
      No..you do want to shy away from desserts and such. You want protein and Carbohydrate calories. But you don't want simple carbs, like sugars and white breads, empty fillers. You want complex carbs, such as starch, wheat, potatoes, wheat pasta, or regular pasta, protein. Try and avoid calories that are primarily based on fat, don't avoid your Basic Fatty Acids, but avoids things like candy and such. Don't have something that says 110 calories, 90 calories from Fat.

You need to increase your caloric intake, and with that making sure you getting good complex carbs not simple ones.

So far the best way I found to bulk up was a weight gainer for me. I tried weight gainer and I got 25 lbs in 2ish weeks. I am trying to bulk up again, right now i'm eating 3000, might up it to 3500, not see much results right now.

dude.......most weight gainers are full of the crap you just said to avoid.
      When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
        CJ, in repsonse to the rep comment (given too much to CJ recently, recurring theme of my time on SWDC) my soleus muscles of my calves go all the way down to my ankles, and are huge. Combine that with my huge gastrocnemius muscles of the calves (the ones closest to the knee), that is why I have thankles... (Yes I did have to look up the names of the muscles)

I also have an incredibly large swell of anterior muscle. (overtop my shins) I can stand on one foot all day if I had to. (also had to look that up too, lol)
        Shave them legs and take some pics. Let's see those Greek God Thankles.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

There's this program I've used to supplement my regular workout called Tabata.

Basically what it is, is you do 8 - 20 seconds, with only a 10 second rest and you do a very light weight. But it is very intense. It just wipes you out. You'll be dead for the next couple of days. You can apply to basically any exercise. I do a lower body workout with it and it is killer. I'll only do like 135 for squats and then I'll throw in some other lower body exercises and my legs are done. You can do it as a regular workout doing one body part a week. Personally, I just use it as a change up for my regular workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S View Post
            dude.......most weight gainers are full of the crap you just said to avoid.
            That is true. Rob you are always full of great advise. I checked the label to see if it was full of crap it seemed legit though.

Also another thing to take after working out is Dextrose(sp?), Gatorade has it, i'm not sure if my Whey has it, ONS usually has everything.

One thing that is a must to drink before bed Casien.

Comment

Ah, next year I am going to be working out full time, everyday. I am learning to lose about 25 pounds of fat. I am 185 now but it doesn't look good because I haven't really worked out in about a year and a half. I have lost weight since I was 205 like 3 months ago.

Comment

Im not serious into weight lifting. I go to the gym like 5 times a week for about an hour or so and lift for about 40 minutes and run for about 20 or so. I've been doing this consistenyl for about a month and a half.I had to stop working out second semester for various stupid injuries(broken finger, a cut near my eye that didn't allow me to sweat too much, etc) so I lost all the progress I made last summer and 1st semester. I have already seen results in my overall fitness and strength.
                I
                My question is how to I most effectively lose my gut? I have noticed that my abs get stronger but the gut doesn't get any smaller/more toned. I am like 6'2 175, so I am not even close to fat, but I have always had this gut. I'm not expecting a six pack, but I imagine there is a way to at least flatten out my stomach a bit.
                Last edited by josh07039; 06-10-2009, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                  Im not serious into weight lifting. I go to the gym like 5 times a week for about an hour or so and lift for about 40 minutes and run for about 20 or so. I've been doing this consistenyl for about a month and a half.I had to stop working out second semester for various stupid injuries(broken finger, a cut near my eye that didn't allow me to sweat too much, etc) so I lost all the progress I made last summer and 1st semester. I have already seen results in my overall fitness and strength.
                  I
                  My question is how to I most effectively lose my gut? I have noticed that my abs get stronger but the gut doesn't get any smaller/more toned. I am like 6'2 175, so I am not even close to fat, but I have always had this gut. I'm not expecting a six pack, but I imagine there is a way to at least flatten out my stomach a bit.
                  Stomach fat everyone wants to loose it. Your abs will get stronger and grow, pushing the fat out since the muscle is underneath. Now to burn the fat there....well you can't. Your body burns fat from everywhere not just one place. So in order to loose the fat and keep the muscle your going to have to cut down your calories enough a diet so to speak, that you bodies uses the fat. But not to much that your muscle shrink. Also your going to have to do HIIT cardio (High Intensity Interval Training).

Its that or lipo.

Comment

I
                    Make them bigger and then lose weight.

If you want bigger muscles though remember that so much is done in the kitchen, I would say more than the gym. You can work out harder than anyone but if you don't eat like you want to add serious muscle, you won't. You can get stronger and maybe a bit toned when not eating particularly right, but not bigger.

I'm just speaking in general though, I have no clue what your diet is like.

bhaarat is right though you would need HIIT

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                      That is true. Rob you are always full of great advise. I checked the label to see if it was full of crap it seemed legit though.

Also another thing to take after working out is Dextrose(sp?), Gatorade has it, i'm not sure if my Whey has it, ONS usually has everything.

One thing that is a must to drink before bed Casien.

Carbs PWO are critical and should be taken in like a 3:1 ratio to protein. I forget which sugars are better and whatnot, but I do know powdered Gatorade is way better than the pre made, so I use that.

Good thing you checked out the label, but I would still be weary. I mean, how else can you get like 1000 calories into 2 little scoops. If you have the money, go for a lot of whey/good food. But if you are poor and your main goal is strength, just eat whatever.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm 6'3 223 last time I was weighed (yesterday). And last month I was weighed in at 204 once. I've never worked out really in my life but I'm pretty active outside the house. Not sure why I've seen such an increase. Seems to all be in my gut.
                        I've asked for some new running shoes for the b-day. (doubt it) but regardless i'll get me some and start running, I guess.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

If you are getting up there in age, your metabolism could be slowing down. Or you could be eating worse if diet is something you don't pay attention to.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                            If you are getting up there in age, your metabolism could be slowing down. Or you could be eating worse if diet is something you don't pay attention to.
                            I hope age isn't already a factor. Turning 23 in a few days. But I guess my metabolism could just be slowing down a bit.

This might be stupid, but has anything been proven that if your significant other is prego, the male can sometimes gain weight with the lady?? Because it all started when we found at she was pregnant AND I piss WAY more than I used to, just in the last month. I actually wake up during the night and have to go.

Just me thinking out loud. Any of you fathers out there experience anything like this??

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

I lift weights every other, or every three days. I do a lot of cardio the days I don't lift, but I can't do them on the same days due to a medical problem. I do shoulders, chest, and arms every time I lift. I don't mix it up.

On the other hand, I really need to lose weight. Any advice other than eating healthy and cardio?

<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
                              <@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
                              <+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
                              <+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepThreat View Post
                                I lift weights every other, or every three days. I do a lot of cardio the days I don't lift, but I can't do them on the same days due to a medical problem. I do shoulders, chest, and arms every time I lift. I don't mix it up.

On the other hand, I really need to lose weight. Any advice other than eating healthy and cardio?
                                Nope....especially if you are decently overweight, thats all you need to do. I guess the best advise, tho, would be to find cardio you enjoy and a healthy diet you dont mind. For me, its jump rope because you can learn new moves, etc.

As for the pregnant thing........idk, if anything its mental.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information