Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The programs I always recommend are:

Starting Strength for the novice

Rippetoe's 5x5 for intermediate

WS4SB for an intermediate- http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html

or you could just use a chest/tris and back/bis and lower body breakdown
    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn98 View Post
      Can someone make/help me with an upper body lift and an ab work out?
      I can post my full workout in here if you like.
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
        I can post my full workout in here if you like.
        I would greatly appreciate it.

My thing is I haven't worked out since November, and I'm having a tough time getting motivated to go back to the gym. I keep telling myself I'm going, but I never do.

Comment

Just alternating chest/triceps, back/biceps 4 days a week with some bike on back days, starting to run for a bit the other days just to be active. Don't do legs anymore cause my knees are basically shot and working out legs sucks anyway (miss cleans though :( ). Don't take supplements either, never got into it that much.

That is correct comahan
          I ******* LOVE YOU DG
          <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
            Just alternating chest/triceps, back/biceps 4 days a week with some bike on back days, starting to run for a bit the other days just to be active. Don't do legs anymore cause my knees are basically shot and working out legs sucks anyway (miss cleans though :( ). Don't take supplements either, never got into it that much.
            how much higher than 300 have u gotten on bench? I remember that thread from a while back.
            When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Ha, I got up to 320 in hs but dropped a lot of weight after football and going to college and such didn't work out as much. Usually finish workouts at 275, pretty sure I can't hit 300 anymore. :(

That is correct comahan
              I ******* LOVE YOU DG
              <3 dg

Comment

OK. Well each day is started with 30 minutes of cardio. It can be whichever you like, really. Just getting off your ass and doing it is good news. I usually bike or stairmaster, but Elliptical and running work as well. Boxing is great if you have any experience doing it, but if not, dont bother. You can end the routine with about 15 minutes of cardio, just as a cool down. Some tips on how I work out:

- 30 Seconds between each set, 2 minutes between each exercise
                - Oftentimes, Ill throw in another exercise in between sets (ie. 25 situps), but nothing that interferes with your current exercise. This is mostly for tone throughout the body, and it keeps your heart rate up.
                - I always go 12/10/8/FAILURE for reps, with increasing weight each time. For example, if I start my bench at 12 reps of 135, I would go on to do 10 reps of 150, 8 reps of 165, then my max until failure (just an example). This will help you make HUGE gains rather quickly.
                - ALWAYS STRETCH

Here is how I break down my workout:

Monday
                Chest

Bench Press
                Incline Bench
                Inverted Bench
                Chest Fly (Freeweight)
                Pec Deck

Tuesday
                Arm

Bicep
                Straight Curl
                Preacher Curl
                Isometric Curl (ie. Curl and Hold)
                Individual Bicep Curls

Tricep
                Tricep Push Downs
                Skull Crushers
                Overhead Lifts
                Tricep Donkey Kicks

Optional
                Forearm Curls (if you give a damn)

Wednesday
                Shoulders

Military Press
                Shoulder Shrugs
                Standing Arm Raises
                Shoulder Press
                Internal/External Rotation

Thursday
                Back

Lat Pull Downs
                Pull Ups
                Weighted Body Bends (on the situp bench)
                Dead Lifts

Friday
                Core

Situps
                Leg Lifts
                Torso Rotation
                Plank

Saturday
                Legs

Squats
                Leg Press
                Calf Press

Im not really big into working out my legs haha so its usually just those 3 plus a random machine, so go ahead and choose yourself.

It looks sort of intimidating at first, and it is exhausting, but I guarantee you will make big gains. Its a modified version of the program my old strength coach gave me. Its important to read the start, so you know how to do these exercises.
                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                  OK. Well each day is started with 30 minutes of cardio. It can be whichever you like, really. Just getting off your ass and doing it is good news. I usually bike or stairmaster, but Elliptical and running work as well. Boxing is great if you have any experience doing it, but if not, dont bother. You can end the routine with about 15 minutes of cardio, just as a cool down.
                  What I do is sprint for a minute and a half before my workout to get my blood going. Apparently doing more than 5 minutes of cardio before a workout makes you more tired for your workout. Being that lifting weights burns more calories than cardio and doing cardio before will kind of drain you, why not wait until after the workout to cool down with a half hour of cardio?

Some tips on how I work out:

- 30 Seconds between each set, 2 minutes between each exercise
                  - Oftentimes, Ill throw in another exercise in between sets (ie. 25 situps), but nothing that interferes with your current exercise. This is mostly for tone throughout the body, and it keeps your heart rate up.
                  - I always go 12/10/8/FAILURE for reps, with increasing weight each time. For example, if I start my bench at 12 reps of 135, I would go on to do 10 reps of 150, 8 reps of 165, then my max until failure (just an example). This will help you make HUGE gains rather quickly.
                  - ALWAYS STRETCH

Here is how I break down my workout:

Monday
                  Chest

Bench Press
                  Incline Bench
                  Inverted Bench
                  Chest Fly (Freeweight)
                  Pec Deck

Tuesday
                  Arm

Bicep
                  Straight Curl
                  Preacher Curl
                  Isometric Curl (ie. Curl and Hold)
                  Individual Bicep Curls

Tricep
                  Tricep Push Downs
                  Skull Crushers
                  Overhead Lifts
                  Tricep Donkey Kicks

Optional
                  Forearm Curls (if you give a damn)

Wednesday
                  Shoulders

Military Press
                  Shoulder Shrugs
                  Standing Arm Raises
                  Shoulder Press
                  Internal/External Rotation

Thursday
                  Back

Lat Pull Downs
                  Pull Ups
                  Weighted Body Bends (on the situp bench)
                  Dead Lifts

Friday
                  Core

Situps
                  Leg Lifts
                  Torso Rotation
                  Plank

Saturday
                  Legs

Squats
                  Leg Press
                  Calf Press

Im not really big into working out my legs haha so its usually just those 3 plus a random machine, so go ahead and choose yourself.

It looks sort of intimidating at first, and it is exhausting, but I guarantee you will make big gains. Its a modified version of the program my old strength coach gave me. Its important to read the start, so you know how to do these exercises.
                  Why would you do Biceps and Triceps on the same day? Do triceps when you do chest and biceps when you do back. They compliment each other in workouts and most exercises for biceps work your back as well.
                  Last edited by tjsunstein; 06-10-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Yea if you do that work out you end up like this.

That is correct comahan
                    I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                    <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                      Apparently doing more than 5 minutes of cardio before a workout makes you more tired for your workout. Being that lifting weights burns more calories than cardio and doing cardio before will kind of drain you, why not wait until after the workout to cool down with a half hour of cardio?
                      I do cardio before because it's more important to me than lifting.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        You should be doing 15-20 minutes of actual cardio each day. Lifting weights burns fat, however, the more muscle you build the more calories you burn whether you are at rest or not.
                        Of course, but wouldn't it make more sense to do the cardio at the end of your workout instead of tiring yourself out before lifting heavier weights? You can still do 15-20 minutes of cardio after your workout but can you still work legs as hard as you would after 15-20 minutes of cardio? That's what I'm trying to say. Doing cardio after, IMO, makes your workout more fulfilling.

Comment

over or under 4 bills?

Comment

So no one works out in silence, right? What's on the playlist for your workouts?

Comment

So no one works out in silence, right? What's on the playlist for your workouts?
                              Killswitch Engage, Pantera

Loud angry music

Comment

What I do is sprint for a minute and a half before my workout to get my blood going. Apparently doing more than 5 minutes of cardio before a workout makes you more tired for your workout. Being that lifting weights burns more calories than cardio and doing cardio before will kind of drain you, why not wait until after the workout to cool down with a half hour of cardio?

Why would you do Biceps and Triceps on the same day? Do triceps when you do chest and biceps when you do back. They compliment each other in workouts and most exercises for biceps work your back as well.
                                As far as cardio is concerned, I like to do alot of it. I always feel better after, and to be honest, if I dont do it before I do my weights I dont feel energized. Cardio gets the blood flowing, and gets my heart rate up so I burn more calories when Im working out.

As far as arms go, its really just preference. I know people who organize their workout like you do, but I like to do arms all at once. By isolating specific muscle groups (ie. arms, chest, back, etc.) I have heard that you will see improvements alot faster. So far, its been working for me. Also, working biceps and then not working triceps after feels weird. They are opposing muscles, and should be worked together IMO. Its just the way I schedule my workout, and just a suggestion for others.

Hey, I never claimed to be immune to the Freshman 15. Damn cafeteria food is balls as far as health is concerned. Its slowly melting away though.

oh, and **** you sarf, have you ever set foot inside a gym? or do you just come in here to be an insufferable **** and offer nothing but lame insults to a thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information