Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is an awesome article I also like the one he wrote about squatting.

Yeah squatting will help the bench a lot. I was skeptical at first, but then noticed after I hit like 225lb in squat that my bench started increasing.

And now squatting has become one of my favorite exercises.

Comment

• I've plateaued. Not to the point where I can't do more weight but to the point where if I go up, I'm going to need a spotter. Ugh, workout buddies are crucial. I hate asking random people working out for a spot. I feel like I'm interrupting them.

Comment

• last week I spotted a random 60 year old man. He asked me to spot him. It was kinda embarrassing and he did like 7 sets. LOL

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
        02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
        02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
        02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
        Originally posted by fenikz
        we all hate you

Comment

• Originally posted by Vox Populi View Post
          Ward, try doing your walks right when you wake up while you're fasted, it will help you more than doing it any other time of the day.
          I thought that once I get that first meal of the day in, my metabolism really starts working.

Comment

• I'm 5'8" 185 right now and i still look very skinny. Trying to eat a lot more.

we all hate you

Comment

• I'm still trying to get to 200 pounds at 6 foot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Draft King View Post
                How do I improve my bench. I'm being recruited by several universities and am kind of embarrassed by how little I rep at the moment. I'm about 6'1 1/2, 190 and my max is probably barely over a plate.
                Stop being a ***** and go to the gym 3-4 times a week. No other way. Have a workout partner to spot you.

Good article posted by Rob too. Without proper form you will get nowhere fast.

stephenson86

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                  Not really anything you absolutely need to purchase. If you can find a local gym under 20 bucks a month, that's absolutely worth it in my opinion. There are variations of dumbbell workouts that build a strong core and work on endurance. You don't need to run to burn fat. There are a ton of exercises that will burn a lot of calories. I would look into p90x if I were you. Being that you don't have any access to a gym, p90x would be perfect for you. You can do it on your own time and it gives you an outline for a diet perfect for endurance and fat burning.
                  I just ordered P90 (thanks for reminding me about that option). Not ready for P90X, but we'll see how P90 goes.

Question:
                  Aside from the difference in energy throughout the day, does it really make a ton of difference to workout in the morning vs. evening?

Reason I ask is that I have to leave for work at 0620, so I wake up at ~0545. It's a real ************ to wake up at 0500 (which is the minimum I'd need to be awake to do anything in the morning). Waking up at that time is an option, just not my favorite one.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
                    I just ordered P90 (thanks for reminding me about that option). Not ready for P90X, but we'll see how P90 goes.

Question:
                    Aside from the difference in energy throughout the day, does it really make a ton of difference to workout in the morning vs. evening?

Reason I ask is that I have to leave for work at 0620, so I wake up at ~0545. It's a real ************ to wake up at 0500 (which is the minimum I'd need to be awake to do anything in the morning). Waking up at that time is an option, just not my favorite one.
                    No, not really. For fat burning purposes, I suppose fasted is best, but it can be dangerous. Just do it at night rather than crushing yourself by waking up at 5 AM every day.
                    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Do it at night like Rob said and you'll sleep like a baby. Make sure to eat enough throughout the day so you'll have energy.

btw, I respect anyone who wakes up at 5:45 am.

we all hate you

Comment

• I wouldn't put my body through that. I'd be tired throughout the day if I work out in the morning. I'd rather work out at night and get a great night sleep in instead of dragging through the day. Wednesdays I have to get to the gym before 8 to get a good workout in because I have class the rest of the day. Not my favorite but I feel like I wasted a day if I don't make my way to the gym.

Comment

• I used my old roommate's P90 for a week or so awhile back, and my energy levels throughout the day were much higher than normal. It's just really hard to wake up that early.

Comment

• Originally posted by Draft King View Post
                            How do I improve my bench. I'm being recruited by several universities and am kind of embarrassed by how little I rep at the moment. I'm about 6'1 1/2, 190 and my max is probably barely over a plate.
                            I was just like you about a year ago. Same size, same bench max, maybe a bit more. I've improved it by about 75 lbs. (maybe more...haven't done max yet) in about 4 months.

Rob's advice was good, mine is pretty much the same.

Eating is the biggest and most important thing. I went from eating a small breakfast and barely eating anything til I got home from school to loading up on protein and healthy carbs at the cafeteria in university. If you're still at home your resources will probably be limited, but at the very least pack yourself a bunch of peanut butter sandwiches for the day. You'll also need whey protein for post-workouts and possibly breakfast if you need to supplement it.

I'd say it's better to get 2 chest workouts in during the week. My pecs recover fast so you should see how you feel in the beginning. Either way, you wanna do heavy sets of no more than 5-6 reps.

If you have a big frame or even just an undeveloped one, the diet combined with more intense lifting should improve your strength dramatically Camp doesn't start until August so you have more than enough time to get to respectable numbers for a 1st year (rep 185 a handful of times). I lift more pretty much every time I bench.

What school are you leaning towards?

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• The lastest I workout is 11 and that's because the gym doesn't open until then on Sunday. I love working out first thing in the morning and I'm always dead by the end of the day from school anyway. I had to work out at 5ish last week because of tests and was so exhausted my entire work out.

That is correct comahan
                              I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                              <3 dg

Comment

• Just started lifting again a few weeks ago and squatted 450X5 for my fifth set, then went and did box jumps right after. I can feel my legs givin out when I walk up or down the steps.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                                Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information