Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I have shin splints. First time having them and they suck big time. How long do they last and how can I get rid of them quicker? Anyone have any ideas or personal experience with them?
    Running? Walking? Weights?

If it is running or walking, try running on a softer surface, that is the only real quick fix.

They are usually caused by having the calf muscles being significantly stronger or weaker than the other muscles at the front of the shin. Alternatively they may be caused by one leg being longer than the other or poor running technique.

How long they last depends entirely on what is causing them, if it is a muscle thing they will last as long as there is the muscle imbalance.

If it is a leg thing something like orthotics can help fix that.

The other thing to consider is that it may not be shin splints and may instead be stress fractures. If you are in good shape and you just suddenly start getting them this is far more likely. I get shin splints when I go from playing American Football to Aussie Rules because of all the extra running involved and it takes a few weeks for those stabilising muscles at the front that are used more for distance running to catch up to the calves that are used a lot more in American football for explosiveness.

But yeah... need more information if you are going to get a pin point analysis. It could be as simple as run through it, but if it is stress fractures that is about the worst thing you can do so if the symptoms are close to the above maybe see a doctor to be safe.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
      Well, you have the big three in there Sniper. I'm happy to see that. Other than that, cardio and diet brotha. Good luck.

So, I have shin splints. First time having them and they suck big time. How long do they last and how can I get rid of them quicker? Anyone have any ideas or personal experience with them?
      Stretch! stretch, stretch and stretch some more. Find a good static and dynamic routine that you like and works for you. I do dynamic before running and static after when my muscles are all warmed up and limber.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

• complexes will whoop your ass. just got back from doing one. do these, sniper. you will have a tremendous cardio workout. i can post my routine if you want. i am not using capitals bc i am feeling that lazy after this workout, first time in a while i felt like i was gonna puke in the gym.
        When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• It may be that I've been playing basketball for the last two weeks straight and it started that time frame. Haven't had any trouble with it until now and I've been working out for a solid 8 months. Definitely don't think they are stress fractures atleast I'm hoping not but I read that shin splints can eventually lead to that. I'm going to look into a new pair of shoes that are more supportive. Everything I do at the gym, I do in air force ones. Lowtops at that.

I stretch a lot. Apparently not enough however.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vox Populi View Post
            It also has the most lesbians, hippies and ******* weirdos as well lol. And yeah, they had that on manswers, something like an 11:1 girl to guy ratio. I know like 10 girls and 3 guys that went there and the guys say that the ratio is definitely noticeable, but as a city, I think Guelph is soooooo boring and crappy (Ignores the fact that he goes to Mac in Hamilton...).
            Haha Mac is terrible and is located in the dirtiest, ugliest city in Canada.

Hamilton is truly Canada's a**hole and I would be ashamed to live there.
            Last edited by JF4; 03-04-2010, 01:32 AM.

stephenson86

Comment

• It may be that I've been playing basketball for the last two weeks straight and it started that time frame. Haven't had any trouble with it until now and I've been working out for a solid 8 months. Definitely don't think they are stress fractures atleast I'm hoping not but I read that shin splints can eventually lead to that. I'm going to look into a new pair of shoes that are more supportive. Everything I do at the gym, I do in air force ones. Lowtops at that.

I stretch a lot. Apparently not enough however.
              You can't really stretch for or to avoid shin splints. Basically they are most commonly caused by a muscle imbalance that puts stress on the bones and muscles in that area that are otherwise not there.

I would say that you are most likely getting shin splints and not stress fractures and it is almost certainly because of the hard surface. Shoes will help but they only try and counteract that actual problem rather than solving it. I suggest google to find a few exercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles in the front of the leg. I remember there being one which was a weird toe drag thing and another that is just a simple toe lift that both worked wonders for me, both are ones you can do while sitting at a computer but weights do help. Just staying on the horse also helps though the hard surface is a major factor though. I know it certainly didn't help with mine, the oval I play Aussie Rules on may as well have been concrete it was that hard.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                complexes will whoop your ass. just got back from doing one. do these, sniper. you will have a tremendous cardio workout. i can post my routine if you want. i am not using capitals bc i am feeling that lazy after this workout, first time in a while i felt like i was gonna puke in the gym.
                Post away.

Comment

• I just took an ice bath for the first time in 3 years (since HS football) and it sucked just as much as the first time. I lifted my legs pretty heavily today and roommate suggested one.

Sucked, but my legs are feeling pretty good right now.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

• how long you sit in that ice bath?

RIP ST

Comment

• 10-15 minutes

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

• Ingrown toe nail led to shin splints because I avoided putting pressure on my toe for a solid two months. I had the toe nail removed about a half hour ago and I'm slowly getting feeling back and it sucks. But, I killed two birds with one stone ultimately. And yes, I tried to remove the toe nail myself. Part of the reason I waited two months to actually get it removed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                          Post away.
                          http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...edded_physique

I did the "Cosgrove's Evil 8" with 95 lbs (25 on each side). It will kick your ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                            http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...edded_physique

I did the "Cosgrove's Evil 8" with 95 lbs (25 on each side). It will kick your ass.
                            Man, that looks absurd. I tried doing deadlifts + cleans + shoulder press + front squat during a workout once and it was by far the worst thing ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                              Man, that looks absurd. I tried doing deadlifts + cleans + shoulder press + front squat during a workout once and it was by far the worst thing ever.
                              Yeah, man. It is absolutely brutal. Amazing workout tho. After I finished, I just sat down on a box for like 5-8 minutes wondering what possessed me to do it.

Comment

• Crazy Leg workout today.

Squats: 1x4 (410 lbs) 1x3 (425 lbs) 1x2 (435 lbs) 1x1 (445)
                                Lunges: 1x2 50 yards
                                Medicine Ball Squats: 2x40 reps (10 lb ball)
                                Medicine Ball throw while in squat position: 2x45 seconds

Gotta get stronger

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information