Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
    how was the plate one in comparison to the Cosgrove? The only problem I am having with the complexes is my lower back being kinda sore if I do the complex the day before deads or squats.
    Easier, imo. But that isn't saying much. I enjoyed both of them. I feel you on the lower back issue. Hopefully this goes away by tomorrow so I can go heavy squats.

Comment

• Mark Rippetoe's youtube vids have helped me with my form on my squats so much. Especially on the hip drive in the hammies. That guy knows lifting and does a good job perfecting form.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• just got some new running shoes bout to go run with them woop

Comment

• Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
          Mark Rippetoe's youtube vids have helped me with my form on my squats so much. Especially on the hip drive in the hammies. That guy knows lifting and does a good job perfecting form.
          I need to work on my form for just about everything. My ego has taken over the last week or so and I've just been adding weight. Time to give my ego a hip check and back to the basics tomorrow. Unfortunately, not many people realize this or care about this and quarter squat twice as much as me then brag. ' Bro, you went down like an inch..'

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
            I need to work on my form for just about everything. My ego has taken over the last week or so and I've just been adding weight. Time to give my ego a hip check and back to the basics tomorrow. Unfortunately, not many people realize this or care about this and quarter squat twice as much as me then brag. ' Bro, you went down like an inch..'
            I try not to be one of those dbags who watch people lift in the gym and stuff, but when I see quarter squaters make me silently laugh to myself. Its so worthless.

Rippetoe's vids ( well a lot of people on there for that matter) on youtube are real sweet for improving your form. Its basically like getting advice from a professional trainer. His suggestions with people on there have helped me with the Olympic lifts with the exception of overhead squat. My god that is hard for a lanky mofo like myself to do haha.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

Comment

• It's so stupid to do more weight than you can handle. Do you really think that the 3 or 4 girls in the gym care what you're benching or squatting? It's super ***...they're just doing it to impress the other insecure dick measuring idiots in the gym.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

• Since we're on form, who goes to the chest when benching and doesn't do an extreme bounce? Nothing is worse to see out of the corner of my eye. And I see people doing Romanian deadlifts more than typical Deadlifts and not knowing it. Little bending of the knees and little drive from the hips.

It sucks because I know how to do proper form and what not and most of these guys that go to the gym just throw weights around. Pain to see so I go when the gym is the least crowded unless I absolutely have to go another time.

Comment

• I've been doing circuit training of all body weight exercises as opposed to just lifting like I've done for a while and I'll tell you it is draining me. For years I generally just did upper body lifts with different muscle groups depending on day, lower body lift like once a week (on a good week...generally stopped lifting lower body once I stopped playing football), and running twice maybe three times a week. That was the general blueprint for my workouts since I got to college two and a half years ago; I would change up exercises and incorporate push ups, pull ups, and dips but not too much variation.

This circuit program has been kicking my ass, it is great because I feel like I'm getting more cut but I feel like I won't be able to lift as much. What I've been doing is a set of pull ups, set of dips, set of this push up variation when you lift one of your arms to the sky and alternate arms, a set of prison rows, a set of dumbell step ups, a set of reverse crunches, then a double set of pushups. I usually do 8 reps for each of the exercises besides the pushups which is a double set so 16. Some days I'll try to do as many sets as I can in 40 minutes, some days 30 minutes, or some days I'll shoot for a number of sets. I try to do this with little to no rest if possible, and it is tough. Especially on mondays after a big weekend, God you feel like you are going to puke and sometimes that goes until tuesday.

This is my third week doing it, the first week i went M-W-F and ran on tuesday/thursday. Last week went M-Tu-Th-F and ran Weds/Sat, and I'm going to try and do the same this week. It is tough, it drains you pretty hard. I'm going to try and start doing it twice a week and lift two other days with a short run on one of the lift days and a pretty good run on an off day.

Some days are a little harder than others though, especially if you have the irish flu or just had a big night in general the night before. That applies to all aspects of life though.

Comment

Since we're on form, who goes to the chest when benching and doesn't do an extreme bounce? Nothing is worse to see out of the corner of my eye. And I see people doing Romanian deadlifts more than typical Deadlifts and not knowing it. Little bending of the knees and little drive from the hips.

It sucks because I know how to do proper form and what not and most of these guys that go to the gym just throw weights around. Pain to see so I go when the gym is the least crowded unless I absolutely have to go another time.
                    Yeah that bothers me. I have real long arms too, that makes benching more of a pain in the ass, and I always see little fat people with short arms bouncing it off their chests thinking they are hot ****. I'm tall and relatively lanky with long arms so I'm never going to be benching the most, it is a fact. The bouncing off the chest irks me for sure.

Comment

• Since we're on form, who goes to the chest when benching and doesn't do an extreme bounce?
                      Bench is the one exercise that I do have good form on and I know it, it really helps also and goes a long way to explain my disproportionately high bench numbers.

My Squat is horrible, My knee bend is just not great and as I don't want to put extra stress on my back I know I don't get deep enough. It shits me that I know exactly what I do wrong and just can't seem to get it right.

Deads I have never felt right when I do them, just never seem to be able to feel like I am using my legs on them despite my form not being awful. It's a pain because my legs are stupid powerful but I can't train them effectively due to technique issues.

Oh wells... between training and injuries I haven't hit the weights in a couple of months anyway... such a pain.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                        It's so stupid to do more weight than you can handle. Do you really think that the 3 or 4 girls in the gym care what you're benching or squatting? It's super ***...they're just doing it to impress the other insecure dick measuring idiots in the gym.
                        But that's a high percentage of the guys at any given gym! That's a lot of people you could be impressing!

Comment

• I hit chest and don't bounce very much, if at all on bench. More upper abs than chest actually, I bring the bar nice and low.
                          When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Nothing is worse to see out of the corner of my eye.
                            How about bringing the bar about a foot from your chest and going back up? I think that's even worse.

they get smoked.

Comment

• What are the benefits of Negative Bench Press compared to Bench Press? because I've been thinking of starting to do negatives instead of regular bench press
                              Last edited by MiWolves; 03-10-2010, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiWolves View Post
                                What are the benefits of Negative Bench Press compared to Bench Press? because I've been thinking of starting to do negatives instead of regular bench press
                                none....negatives dont do much at all. If your bench is stalling, change up rep schemes or do some DB work to replace BB bench for a while.
                                When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information