Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm too bulky, focusing on aerobics and jogging.

My favorite health food combination:

Comment

• Cliff bar has a lot of sugar in it. Like most bars it sucks, but sometimes its better than nothings.

Comment

• Been on this P90X for awhile now, I stop lifting for gains now but to tone. I've been doing it with a few friends and I much prefer to have a work out partner to push you, I find myself stopping sooner if I was by myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
          I'm too bulky, focusing on aerobics and jogging.

My favorite health food combination:

So not health food........I could go into a rant, and want to, but I am late leaving for work as it is. Darn!
          When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Definitely prefer to work out alone, the meditation-ish part of working out is half of why I like working out so much.

And booo tests, have to work in the afternoon twice this week. So many people >_<.

That is correct comahan
            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
            <3 dg

Comment

• Another solo worker. Lets me concentrate and more importantly focus on what's important. I'm very competitive so having someone there just makes me want to put up higher weight than I should at the expense of form, kind of defeats the purpose.

To me it sounds like you're losing weight for vanity, rather than health. I hope that isn't the case.
              Appearance is every bit as good a motivator as health and really, they are related anyway. The better you look, the better you feel about how you look, the more confident you are in your appearance, these are all good things and good reasons to work out. By being in that shape you are also inherently healthier. I'm a big fan of whatever the motivation for being healthier is not important as long as it is there in some form.

I personally am motivated probably even between three things, Sport, Appearance and Health. One day in the not too distant future the sport one will not be there anymore, just puts more emphasis on the other two but as long as it is enough to get off my ass and do it, it matters not why I do it.

Also... Currently have a knee injury, badly twisted about 5 weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone has ever had similar and how they treated it, how long it took and the like. Gave it rest for 5 weeks but I have nationals starting in 2 weeks and unfortunately have to get back into training and playing RB means there really isn't any way to go easy either. Anyone know of good management/prevention/healing mechanisms?

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

• I workout with a partner.....not a random guy tho, it's always one of my best friends that I actually trust spotting me and won't limit me in the gym by talking too much or just being a jerk off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                  Does anyone else prefer lifting by themselves then lifting w/ a partner??? I see many people lifting w/ other people but when ever I lift I seem to get off track very easily and dont get my whole workout in.
                  I like lifting with someone else but only sometimes. Some days I just want to be alone in the gym. I get more done when I'm alone because I don't have to worry about anyone else getting in between sets and talking is always a distraction. Lifting with someone else is also a motivator.

Comment

• I normally prefer to lift alone but having a good partner is not something I'm opposed to. I just don't have anyone to lift on the same schedule as I have currently. Lifting is sort of 'ME' time right now as I am crazy busy with everything else so its nice to kinda go solo for awhile. I actually feel as though I push myself more when I'm alone which is kind of strange I suppose. All that hootin and hollerin from people trying to encourage me usually doesn't work too well for some reason.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                    Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

• Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                      Also... Currently have a knee injury, badly twisted about 5 weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone has ever had similar and how they treated it, how long it took and the like. Gave it rest for 5 weeks but I have nationals starting in 2 weeks and unfortunately have to get back into training and playing RB means there really isn't any way to go easy either. Anyone know of good management/prevention/healing mechanisms?
                      Have you seen a physiotherapist? They possibly are the best around to help rehab knee injuries.

Healing...ugh. Ligaments tend to heal on their own, but it takes a while. Rates of healing will differ between ligagments. I took 1 month off for a MCL grade 1 sprain, and reinjured it 3 weeks ago, along with my LCL.

As for prevention, wrapping/taping up the knee as well as doing stretches to warm up the stabilizer muscles will help to an extent. A knee brace similar to those people with torn ACLs use would be useful, but it will limit lateral mobility.

Comment

• Off to the gym for OHP day!!! It's like Christmas! I ******* love SOHP!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                          Off to the gym for OHP day!!! It's like Christmas! I ******* love SOHP!
                          What kind of weight do you do? I'm guessing Barbell as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                            What kind of weight do you do? I'm guessing Barbell as well?
                            160 x 5 military

I can push press 185

Its my best lift by far tho.

Comment

• I love push press, its such a fun exercise.

Now when you push press do you do a staggered stance(one foot in front of the other) or are your legs parralell?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
                                I love push press, its such a fun exercise.

Now when you push press do you do a staggered stance(one foot in front of the other) or are your legs parralell?
                                I do it with my legs parallel. Is there a difference in terms of benefits?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information