Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm all set on flexibility....years upon years of martial arts has helped me with that. I gotta work on dropping some fat I guess, but my cardio is still better than most people's so I'm not all that concerned with the aesthetics.
    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
      One of the starting football players at the university that I'm taking a few classes at challenged me to a 2 mile race in class a few weeks ago. We had the race yesterday and I beat him by about 6 minutes, and lapped him 4 times. Football players are, by and large in such god-awful shape. Being big is really overrated. A combination of strength, endurance, cardiovascular health, and flexibility is what people should strive for, not a six pack or a certain weight...that's my unwarranted opinion anyways
      Good call...

      I don't know who your boy is but its a little ridiculous to stereotype cause you laid a whooping on him.

      stephenson86

      Comment


      • Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
        One of the starting football players at the university that I'm taking a few classes at challenged me to a 2 mile race in class a few weeks ago. We had the race yesterday and I beat him by about 6 minutes, and lapped him 4 times. Football players are, by and large in such god-awful shape. Being big is really overrated. A combination of strength, endurance, cardiovascular health, and flexibility is what people should strive for, not a six pack or a certain weight...that's my unwarranted opinion anyways
        Doesn't make sense to me. Any athlete will train to maximize their performance within one aspect which serves as a common benchmark for the sport, eg 40yd sprints.

        When I played soccer/footy in HS, I had the slowest 3km time because I was a goalie. My focus was on 10m sprints, not long distance endurance.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Verloren View Post
          Doesn't make sense to me. Any athlete will train to maximize their performance within one aspect which serves as a common benchmark for the sport, eg 40yd sprints.

          When I played soccer/footy in HS, I had the slowest 3km time because I was a goalie. My focus was on 10m sprints, not long distance endurance.
          The truth..

          stephenson86

          Comment


          • I'm about to play D1-A football at the University of Idaho next year and the main thing the coaches say is to be in the best shape you have ever been in before you get here this summer. Most athletes only think about one portion of training and don't know if you max your body out in every aspect you'll perform at an optimum level. To have a great bench max you need great core strength for example.

            Anyways if anyone is looking for a great protein with no banned substances you should try Mass-Peak. It tastes really good with milk and i usually gag after i drink most. Its really good plus its like $55 for 8.8 pounds. Another pre workout I just found is Nano Vapor. I usually max out at 375 on squats on my last set, but i did 3 today. The endurance i got was unreal.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by KobeBryant833 View Post
              Anyways if anyone is looking for a great protein with no banned substances you should try Mass-Peak. It tastes really good with milk and i usually gag after i drink most. Its really good plus its like $55 for 8.8 pounds. Another pre workout I just found is Nano Vapor. I usually max out at 375 on squats on my last set, but i did 3 today. The endurance i got was unreal.
              Please don't tell me you take 4 scoops of it at a time.

              As for Nano-Vapor, there are cheaper and just as effective pre-workouts out there, although you might have to check with your school's trainers to see if they are allowed for the NCAA.

              Comment


              • Any time you buy a protein they say take 4 scoops, but you end up pooping and pissing all that stuff out. I usually take a protein in the morning when i wake up, then post workout one and one for my stomach to eat right before i sleep so i can power through the night and recover.

                Ya It probably isn't. It makes you jittery, but it helps you power though a tough workout unlike black powder.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by KobeBryant833 View Post
                  Any time you buy a protein they say take 4 scoops, but you end up pooping and pissing all that stuff out. I usually take a protein in the morning when i wake up, then post workout one and one for my stomach to eat right before i sleep so i can power through the night and recover.

                  Ya It probably isn't. It makes you jittery, but it helps you power though a tough workout unlike black powder.
                  Whew. I've met some people who just follow instructions blindly. One even went to buy out a blender because he couldn't get his weight gainer to mix.

                  As for pre-workout, I like White Flood and MusclePrime. I think those 2 don't have anything banned by the NCAA.
                  Ultima is another I like (no caffeine ftw!), but it isn't in stock anywhere and is one you need to go over with a trainer because of the glycerol monostearate.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Verloren View Post
                    Whew. I've met some people who just follow instructions blindly. One even went to buy out a blender because he couldn't get his weight gainer to mix.

                    As for pre-workout, I like White Flood and MusclePrime. I think those 2 don't have anything banned by the NCAA.
                    Ultima is another I like (no caffeine ftw!), but it isn't in stock anywhere and is one you need to go over with a trainer because of the glycerol monostearate.
                    The mixers that have the whisk in them work great

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by JF4 View Post
                      Good call...

                      I don't know who your boy is but its a little ridiculous to stereotype cause you laid a whooping on him.
                      I said by-and-large, as to avoid stereotyping. I've cross-trained with many, many football players, skill positions and lineman, and they almost always have Terrible (with a capital T) endurance and cardiovascular fitness. It's the nature of football, 10 seconds of action, 40 seconds of rest repeat. I don't care about how good a football player/athlete somebody is, I'm talking about their fitness.


                      Originally posted by Verloren View Post
                      Doesn't make sense to me. Any athlete will train to maximize their performance within one aspect which serves as a common benchmark for the sport, eg 40yd sprints.

                      When I played soccer/footy in HS, I had the slowest 3km time because I was a goalie. My focus was on 10m sprints, not long distance endurance.
                      Short burst athletes aren't necessarily in good shape is my point. You could be a fast sprinter and/or have a really high bench/squat max and be in terrible shape. I'm talking about fitness, not athletic prowess.
                      Last edited by senormysterioso; 04-09-2010, 03:16 PM.

                      sig by BoneKrusher

                      PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                        I said by-and-large, as to avoid stereotyping. I've cross-trained with many, many football players, skill positions and lineman, and they almost always have Terrible (with a capital T) endurance and cardiovascular fitness. It's the nature of football, 10 seconds of action, 40 seconds of rest repeat. I don't care about how good a football player/athlete somebody is, I'm talking about their fitness.




                        Short burst athletes aren't necessarily in good shape is my point. You could be a fast sprinter and/or have a really high bench/squat max and be in terrible shape. I'm talking about fitness, not athletic prowess.
                        Yeah I agree with you. Any time I've played basketball for a long period of time I get gassed, but I don't really get exhausted during a game unless it goes into overtime or the coaches get veer-happy. Running a mile or so hasn't ever bothered me, but it's because of wrestling and I have a long stride.

                        Comment


                        • Just got one of these (minus the leg press) for free from my buddy. A $3500 piece of equipment in exchange for a few hours of painting. I am super excited to actually start excercising for the first time in years...

                          Last edited by The_Dude; 04-10-2010, 11:18 PM.
                          Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                          Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                            I said by-and-large, as to avoid stereotyping. I've cross-trained with many, many football players, skill positions and lineman, and they almost always have Terrible (with a capital T) endurance and cardiovascular fitness. It's the nature of football, 10 seconds of action, 40 seconds of rest repeat. I don't care about how good a football player/athlete somebody is, I'm talking about their fitness.




                            Short burst athletes aren't necessarily in good shape is my point. You could be a fast sprinter and/or have a really high bench/squat max and be in terrible shape. I'm talking about fitness, not athletic prowess.
                            What really defines good in shape?

                            You could say the reverse, long distant athletes don't have enough muscles mass on their bodies and can't lift for ****.

                            Also I find it hard to believe someone that is a fast sprinter be in terrible shape.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                              What really defines good in shape?

                              You could say the reverse, long distant athletes don't have enough muscles mass on their bodies and can't lift for ****.

                              Also I find it hard to believe someone that is a fast sprinter be in terrible shape.
                              He probably raced someone on the O-line

                              Comment


                              • I think that Aussie Rules is probably THE sport if you want to find an elite overall athlete. You need the endurance of runners, the speed of sprinters and the strength of at least rugby players if you want to be in great shape for it.

                                I've found that it is a great fitness base to go into basically anything else and that an "unfit" footy player is pretty much going to be above average in every other sport, or at least all the ones I've tried.

                                Rugby is comparable but a more muscular type of fitness than aerobic, which lends itself less well to other sports that the aerobic fitness in footy but most of you know nothing about it so you have missed the boat.

                                That said, if you can find somewhere to play a competitive game it will knock you on your ass really good.


                                Props to BK on the sig!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information