Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight-Lifting Thread (General Fitness Thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
    I think that Aussie Rules is probably THE sport if you want to find an elite overall athlete. You need the endurance of runners, the speed of sprinters and the strength of at least rugby players if you want to be in great shape for it.

I've found that it is a great fitness base to go into basically anything else and that an "unfit" footy player is pretty much going to be above average in every other sport, or at least all the ones I've tried.

Rugby is comparable but a more muscular type of fitness than aerobic, which lends itself less well to other sports that the aerobic fitness in footy but most of you know nothing about it so you have missed the boat.

That said, if you can find somewhere to play a competitive game it will knock you on your ass really good.

I'm hoping to catch some this summer when I'm in your fine continent.....they play games in August right?
    When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• I'm hoping to catch some this summer when I'm in your fine continent.....they play games in August right?
      They sure do.

Would recommend going to a game at the MCG if you are in Melbourne, will give you the best experience.

Also, probably worth trying to catch a game with someone who knows what is happening that is willing to explain as I'm told that if you have no idea what's happening it is hard to watch. I can imagine it would be, would look a lot like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Also, the game is very much like the NFL where the difference between watching the good and the bad teams will alter your entire perception of the sport. I'd avoid the Eagles like the plague based on their play so far, Cats, Hawks and Bulldogs are probably playing the most entertaining football to the casual fan, if you like physicality, Sydney and Saints are also a good bet.

Also, if you are still here in September, that is when the finals start and it goes up a notch for that.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

I think that Aussie Rules is probably THE sport if you want to find an elite overall athlete. You need the endurance of runners, the speed of sprinters and the strength of at least rugby players if you want to be in great shape for it.

I've found that it is a great fitness base to go into basically anything else and that an "unfit" footy player is pretty much going to be above average in every other sport, or at least all the ones I've tried.
        How would you compare Aussie Football players to Sevens players?

Comment

• How would you compare Aussie Football players to Sevens players?
          7s are similar to League, probably about 25% of the way to being Aussie Rules compared to League. AFL players would generally be more agile, fitter aerobically but not as big. Speed will vary between positions. They are another bunch of excellent all around athletes. There isn't a lot of 7s over here though so I can't say with genuine certainty, just based on what I have seen.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

They sure do.

Would recommend going to a game at the MCG if you are in Melbourne, will give you the best experience.

Also, probably worth trying to catch a game with someone who knows what is happening that is willing to explain as I'm told that if you have no idea what's happening it is hard to watch. I can imagine it would be, would look a lot like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Also, the game is very much like the NFL where the difference between watching the good and the bad teams will alter your entire perception of the sport. I'd avoid the Eagles like the plague based on their play so far, Cats, Hawks and Bulldogs are probably playing the most entertaining football to the casual fan, if you like physicality, Sydney and Saints are also a good bet.

Also, if you are still here in September, that is when the finals start and it goes up a notch for that.
            Yeah, I will be in Melbourne for a while, so I plan on catching a game there. I am staying with a friend's brother so hopefully he knows the rules haha....he is an Indian tho, so idk. Won't be there in Sept., probably until late August tho, once I know exact dates I will check out the schedule and hopefully pick out a good game.

Comment

• Alright, so basically I am looking for some advice about stationary bikes and such. I'm trying to get in a bit of shape (let myself go after knee injuries / giving up soccer for a while). In addition to playing soccer twice a week (5 a side for an hour at a time) have also bought the stationary bike.

Currently I am riding on the lowest resistance as I am trying to lose weight and gain cardio, and just go as fast as I can for 30 minutes, with my best currently being 21Km with burnt calories of approx 490 calories. I know the readouts on the bike are unrealistic but just wondered if anyone knew of any decent things to do / aim for.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

• I wouldn't go low resistance the whole time. Higher resistance, only a couple notches up, and a slower pace will most likely burn more calories.

Comment

• Cool, was thinking of kicking it up as been on the low resistance for about a month now and feel like I am plateauing there

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

• Yeah, kick up the resistance. Just try and go with some variety......the LSD for 30 min. is fine, bit you could switch it up with HIIT by doing sprint intervals at high resistance levels.

Comment

• Today will be my 1st day in the gym in like 3 weeks......had strep throat and swine flu at the same time and it pretty much destroyed me. I lost 10 lbs. in that time period. Time to see how weak I got!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                        Today will be my 1st day in the gym in like 3 weeks......had strep throat and swine flu at the same time and it pretty much destroyed me. I lost 10 lbs. in that time period. Time to see how weak I got!
                        I had mono last year for a solid two months. Took me three months to get my strength back.

Comment

7s are similar to League, probably about 25% of the way to being Aussie Rules compared to League. AFL players would generally be more agile, fitter aerobically but not as big. Speed will vary between positions. They are another bunch of excellent all around athletes. There isn't a lot of 7s over here though so I can't say with genuine certainty, just based on what I have seen.
                          I've seen a lot of Sevens, due to living in HK for 5 years. They are smaller than 15s players, but tend to be more all rounded in terms of skill and speed. High end cardio seems to be one of the key issues, as those guys never stop running.

Comment

• 1st day back wasnt that bad.....lost a little strength, but for 10 lbs lost, I will take it.

Comment

• Anyone try Lipo 6, or Animal Cuts?

I'm thinking about buying a bottle to use for like 3-5 weeks. In three weeks i start another diet/cutting phase. I learned that for me I gotta change diets and things like every 3 weeks. So i have a 10 week plan, with 3 weeks diet, 1 off week, 3 weeks diet, 1 off week, 2 weeks diet. First 3 is natural, the next 3 is with pills, and the last 2 is clean.

I finished a 7 week cycle with 1 cheat week, the first 1 or 2 weeks I went to 142, but now that I fished it I'm at 146-147, with considerable amount of less %fat. I just want to loose that last bit of % or lbs of fat, so I can see my bottom abs and my handles sink in a bit.

Comment

• wound up spraining my ankle over the weekend playing some ball. nothing too bad, have regained most of my mobility and ability to put weight on it. Right now it is still swollen and bruised pretty good, any advice on how long i should stay off it in a gym/workout sense?

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information