The Official Poker Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simms2clayton View Post
    LOL, how is that a "draw heavy board"...just because there are 2 diamonds lol...so what you are saying is when up against ONLY ONE OPPONENT a board is only safe it is rainbow. The thing is, now matter what the flop is a possible straight can be made on the turn. Period. That is a very safe flop because the only stright that can be made on the turn is a gutshot.
    I misread the hand, I thought there was a possible straight draw too. My bad.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• It's a pretty raggedy flop, but not a completely safe flop. However, with a powerful hand and discounting the possibility of a flush draw, betting out is probably not the best expected value play. With top set, you have to see where your opponent is at and put them on a hand based on their actions. When the opponent checks back to me, I put him on a flush draw or absolutely nothing. When the third diamond hit, you would have to bet for information. Unfortunately, with stacks as they were Bloch felt committed after his bet.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by simms2clayton View Post
        The thing is, now matter what the flop is a possible straight can be made on the turn. Period. That is a very safe flop because the only stright that can be made on the turn is a gutshot.
        You seem awful sure about that. It would be more than interesting to see somebody turn a straight after the flop came J-J-2. Or 8-8-8. Or A-A-7. Or....

Comment

• You have to play the player, not your own hand. In this case, you know you have the best hand on the flop. If you sense your opponent has no piece of the flop, you have to check it to him to let him bluff (check-raise) or let him improve his hand. You must bet out on the turn if it's checked back, especially if there are 3 diamonds out there. You need the information. Again, a $6k pot wasn't going to help Bloch get ahead and win the tournament. He needed to double up and got the hand and flop to do it. He got unlucky with the turn, but I think he played it right.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• I've seen aces get out drawn by someone getting 2 pair on the flop too many times.

Comment

• If you watched the US Poker Championship on ESPN, there was a hand where Dennis Frederick, a local semipro, was the big stack. He raised preflop and got called by 2 players. 1 had pocket 9's, and the big blind had 4-5 suited. Flop came out 4-4-x. Frederick bet big into the pot, and got 2 all-in's. He called both and crippled himself. Jordan Morgan, the eventual third place finisher, pretty much tripled up and became the monster stack.

Aces are a nice starting hand, but they're not invincible. I've made a lot of money off people who think they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                If you watched the US Poker Championship on ESPN, there was a hand where Dennis Frederick, a local semipro, was the big stack. He raised preflop and got called by 2 players. 1 had pocket 9's, and the big blind had 4-5 suited. Flop came out 4-4-x. Frederick bet big into the pot, and got 2 all-in's. He called both and crippled himself. Jordan Morgan, the eventual third place finisher, pretty much tripled up and became the monster stack.

Aces are a nice starting hand, but they're not invincible. I've made a lot of money off people who think they are.
                That guy sounded like Evander Holyfield talking.

"I knew it you lucky!" He just sounded dumb. Morgan looked shocked like man I didn't deserve to win this pot.l

Comment

• If you recall, Morgan turned quad 4's. He was in the big blind and had 2.7:1 odds to call if I calculated correctly. He was big enough of a stack to risk a little, and it paid off huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                    Another point to consider: With the nut flush draw, the A-high, and a raggedy flop, even if Bloch bet out on the flop, his opponent might have called anyway. So, even if he bet the flop, he probably still loses the hand and the pot and is eliminated.
                    But if he bets the flop and doesn't give him odds, he makes the correct play. No matter how likely it is that he wins, calling with the worse hand is ALWAYS a bad play, even if he can't legitimately know what the other guy has.
                    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• first updates to today last day of day 1 is up.

http://www.cardplayer.com/tournaments/live_updates/7278

Gus hasn't shown up and no one knows where he is. That is weird.
                      Last edited by Acreboy; 07-09-2007, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Notable chip counts

Dario Minieri 104,000
                        Paul Magriel 63,000
                        Chip Reese 46,000
                        Chris Tsiprailidis 43,000
                        Layne Flack 40,000
                        Gus Hansen 38,000

Bill Edler 37,000
                        John Racener 36,700
                        Chris Grigorian 36,100
                        Vinnie Vinh 34,500
                        Jean Gaspard 34,000
                        Isaac Haxton 33,000
                        Thor Hansen 30,500
                        Maria Ho 30,500
                        Freddy Deeb 30,000
                        Carlos Mortensen 27,000

David Benyamine 24,700
                        Brandon Schaefer 23,500
                        Leif Force 23,000
                        Young Phan 22,000

Prahlad Friedman 22,000
                        Ed Moncada 22,000
                        Ted Forrest 21,800
                        Jamie Gold 21,600
                        Phil Hellmuth 21,000
                        Dutch Boyd 20,500
                        Steve Zolotow 20,000
                        Shawn Sheikhan 19,300
                        David Plastik 19,300

Sorel "Imper1um" Mizzi 19,000
                        Mimi Tran 19,000
                        Kido Pham 18,000

Bryan Micon 18,000
                        Doug "Rico" Carli 17,300
                        Chip Jett 17,000
                        Robert Williamson III 16,300
                        Daniel Negreanu 16,000
                        Brett Jungblut 16,000
                        Michael Binger 15,000
                        Gavin Smith 15,000
                        Antonio Esfandiari 14,300

Jon Turner 13,000
                        Ron "Grumpy" Ware 12,700
                        Cyndy Violette 9,600
                        Erick Lindgren 8,000
                        Erik Friberg 7,000

Erica Schoenberg 6,500
                        Fred Goldberg 6,000
                        Nam Le 5,000

David Chiu 4,000

Comment

• Main event has started already?

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
                            Main event has started already?
                            http://www.cardplayer.com/tournaments/live_updates/7278

Comment

• Daniel is getting his chips back up.

Comment

• This has been Acreboy, your official WSOP corespondent.

Official Numbers
                                The tournament details have just been announced. 6,358 players entered this year's main event, creating a $59,784,954 prize pool. This tournament will pay 621 places, with 621st place taking home $20,320 and 1st place place pocketing $8,250,000. The full prize pool will be updated shortly.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information